PDA

View Full Version : Israel should lead investigation into attack on Gaza flotilla, says US.

Ponce
1st June 2010, 02:43 PM
Nothing that I can say........... >:(
==============================================

Israel should lead investigation into attack on Gaza flotilla, says US.

Turkey's demands for international inquiry blocked at meeting of United Nations security council

The United States has blocked demands at the UN security council for an international inquiry into Israel's assault on the Turkish ship carrying aid to Gaza that left nine pro-Palestinian activists dead.

A compromise statement instead calls for an impartial investigation which Washington indicated could be carried out by Israel.

Turkey pressed for the security council to launch an investigation similar to Richard Goldstone's inquiry into last year's fighting in Gaza which prompted protests from Israel when it concluded that Israel and Hamas were probably guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Ankara wanted the investigation into the raid on the Mavi Marmara to result in the prosecution of officials responsible for the assault and the payment of compensation to the victims.

But in hours of diplomatic wrangling, the US blocked the move and instead forced a statement that called for "a prompt, impartial, credible and transparent investigation conforming to international standards". The US representative at the security council discussions, Alejandro Wolff, indicated that Washington would be satisfied with Israel investigating itself when he called for it to undertake a credible investigation.

The Israeli government is certain to launch its own inquiry in part as a response to domestic criticism that its forces were ill-prepared for the resistance they met on the ship. But any self-inquiry is likely to be met with the same scepticism beyond Israel's borders that met its investigations into last year's Gaza war and its 2006 invasion of Lebanon which criticised aspects of the handling of the operations but did not challenge the underlying claim that they were essential for Israel's security.

The Americans also blocked criticism of Israel for violating international law by assaulting a ship in international waters in the security council statement proposed by Turkey, the Palestinians and Arab nations.

The US instead forced a broader statement that condemned "those acts which resulted in the loss" of life.

However, the security council statement did criticise Israel's siege of Gaza as "not sustainable" and called for a "sustained and regular flow of goods and people to Gaza, as well as unimpeded provision and distribution of humanitarian assistance throughout Gaza".

Turkey's foreign minister, Ahmet Davutoglu, called the raid on the Mavi Marmara "tantamount to banditry and piracy; it is murder conducted by a state".

The French ambassador to the UN, Gerard Araud, said "there was disproportionate use of force and a level of violence which nothing justifies and which we condemn".

Wolff told the security council that the organisers of the flotilla had been irresponsible in trying to deliver aid by sea in the face of the Israeli blockade.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/01/israel-investigation-attack-gaza-flotilla-us

Neuro
1st June 2010, 02:59 PM
Yes, the US is happy with having Israel impartially investigating themselves. Imagine any other country in the world acting like Israel did yesterday. US is Israels pitbull lapdog!

Down1
1st June 2010, 04:29 PM
Israel did such a great job investigating Operation Cast Lead, their Gaza massacre invasion.
Who could object to them investigating this most recent massacre self defense operation.
Fair and Balanced ! Just like Fox News.

Washington has failed ! I know few here are surprised by this, but still it would have been nice if Washington let this thug nation twist in the wind before the useless U.N.

If I was a Somali Pirate, now would be a good time to pull off a major op. What could the U.S. say ?

Neuro
1st June 2010, 04:39 PM
The US has lost all moral leadership credentials in the world by blocking this... Not that these credentials were that great before...

Libertarian_Guard
1st June 2010, 04:46 PM
Not that these credentials were that great before...

Good enough Neuro, you've just won yourself the 'understatement of the Day' award for that.

sirgonzo420
1st June 2010, 05:03 PM
Foxes always make the best hen house guards... :oo-->

ximmy
1st June 2010, 05:20 PM
One day a little scorpion arrived at the bank of a river he wanted to cross, but there was no bridge. He asked a frog that was sitting nearby if he would take him across the river on his back. The frog refused and said, 'I will not, because you will sting me.'

The scorpion replied, 'It would be foolish for me to sting you because then we would both drown.'

The frog saw the logic in the scorpion's words, and agreed to carry the scorpion across. But when they were halfway across the river the scorpion stung the frog. The stunned frog asked, 'Why did you sting me? Now we will both die!'

The scorpion replied, 'Because I'm a scorpion … and that's what scorpions do.'

The little scorpion survived and was well pleased with himself.

But all the creatures wanted to punish the scorpion, except the huge snake who said, "I will let the scorpion accuse or excuse himself"

And the creatures thought to themselves, 'How will we bear the scorpion and snake?'

Brent
1st June 2010, 05:52 PM
This is just rich.

The US indicates that Israel could lead this impartial investigation.

Apparently the "US" doesn't know what the definition of the word impartial is.

Horn
1st June 2010, 06:15 PM
I think the U.S. just relinquished command of the middle east with that statement.

Guess it's up to Israel to take the reigns...

Ponce
1st June 2010, 06:33 PM
Ximmy? and that's why I say that I don't blame the Zionist for what they do, it is the way that they live............

I don't blame or get mad at a mosquito when it bites me, I simply kill it and keep on walking........neither am I mad at the Zionists.

Neuro
2nd June 2010, 07:16 AM
One day a little scorpion arrived at the bank of a river he wanted to cross, but there was no bridge. He asked a frog that was sitting nearby if he would take him across the river on his back. The frog refused and said, 'I will not, because you will sting me.'

The scorpion replied, 'It would be foolish for me to sting you because then we would both drown.'

The frog saw the logic in the scorpion's words, and agreed to carry the scorpion across. But when they were halfway across the river the scorpion stung the frog. The stunned frog asked, 'Why did you sting me? Now we will both die!'

The scorpion replied, 'Because I'm a scorpion … and that's what scorpions do.'

The little scorpion survived and was well pleased with himself.

But all the creatures wanted to punish the scorpion, except the huge snake who said, "I will let the scorpion accuse or excuse himself"

And the creatures thought to themselves, 'How will we bear the scorpion and snake?'

Excellent continuation of the classical story!

I think we need to call in RikiTikiTavi!

gunDriller
2nd June 2010, 08:37 AM
that's why i call it, the United States of Israel.

has been, since at least 9-11.

USI = Not My Government.