PDA

View Full Version : Found my first 2010 penny today.

Down1
2nd June 2010, 04:54 PM
I get at least $5.00 a week in pennies to sort and today 6/2/10 is the first time I have seen one.
I didn't really like the looks of it.

iOWNme
13th July 2010, 06:56 AM
I have a ton of these...Looks like a token to a Pizza joint. it doesnt even resemble a real penny, it seems to have come from some board game or something....

joe_momma
12th October 2010, 01:25 PM
What a friggin' bogus token!

1) It is way too light - I'll weigh it tonight
2) No Lincoln Memorial on the back - guess they do not want to remind people that slaves were freed
3) Not sure what the shield on the reverse is supposed to protect us from - the Fed perhaps?

Down1
15th October 2010, 04:56 PM
Seeing a ton of these now.
The shield would be a good thing for our merc forces to wear on their uniforms while they are busy slaughtering innocents.

RJB
15th October 2010, 06:07 PM
I was guessing that the shield was a copy of the 2 cent penny from Lincoln's day.

http://i.ebayimg.com/23/!Bu-(1!gEWk~$(KGrHqR,!joEv1+0CNDIBMCq3j1Bh!~~_3.JPG

madfranks
15th October 2010, 06:46 PM
When I heard they were going to have a new design for the cent in 2010, I heard that it would actually have a new front and back. The Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, so 2009 would have been a perfect year to finish the Lincoln cent, he would have had it for 100 years. But they chickened out fearing the political backlash if Lincoln was stripped from the cent (can you imagine how many cries of racism there would be if Lincoln was removed from the coin?), so they kept Lincoln and simply changed the back. The shield was a prominent theme on early American coinage (look at the seated liberty half dollar, the shield is almost identical). Also, the Lincoln cent is the longest running coin design in American history.

http://www.coinsdaily.com/uploads/pic_701.jpg

Gaillo
15th October 2010, 06:56 PM
I was guessing that the shield was a copy of the 2 cent penny from Lincoln's day.

http://i.ebayimg.com/23/!Bu-(1!gEWk~$(KGrHqR,!joEv1+0CNDIBMCq3j1Bh!~~_3.JPG

A really, really POOR copy. Modern coinage looks like shiit, compared to 19th century stuff... At least in my opinion!

RJB
15th October 2010, 06:59 PM
http://www.coinsdaily.com/uploads/pic_701.jpg
That's the shield I was looking for.

RJB
15th October 2010, 07:03 PM
A really, really POOR copy. Modern coinage looks like shiit, compared to 19th century stuff... At least in my opinion!I 100% agree. Even with the modern Lincoln cents I can usually tell the difference between a pre 1982 penny just by looking at the stamp. Not only is the metal debased but the manufacture is so half assed these days. Bullion is nice and all, but I really like old US coinage (I just don't like the premiums :) )

15th October 2010, 07:12 PM
2010 Penny - E Pluribus Worthless

madfranks
15th October 2010, 11:39 PM
A really, really POOR copy. Modern coinage looks like shiit, compared to 19th century stuff... At least in my opinion!

That's because 19th century and prior US coinage portrayed Lady Liberty, because the founding fathers specifically didn't want politicians on coins because we were not ruled by men, but were sons of Liberty. Now every single one of our coins has depictions of our political rulers. Washington would be horrified if he knew he would be on a base metal 25 cent coin, and Jackson would go into a rage if he learned his portrait was destined to grace the $20 fiat dollar bill. Too bad.

Bubble Fat
17th October 2010, 02:07 PM
The shield represents the Union of the States, undivided and indivisible.

Makes me wonder, why the Union without Liberty? Yeah, I know it spells the word on the coin, not he same as having an idyllic Lady Liberty.

Why not have Lady Liberty instead of Lincoln? Again, yeah I know, Lincoln was Prez during the War of the States, he preserved the Union.

But at what cost to Liberty?

Oops, answered my own question.

Also, why the need to stress unity all of the sudden?

Ragnarok
17th October 2010, 03:40 PM
That's all our unity is worth at this point?

R. ;D