PDA

View Full Version : Cold showers

Liquid
4th June 2010, 09:55 AM
It seems there's a lot of health benefits to taking cold showers.

I'm going to start doing this tomorrow. Plus, it's a good way to prep if you ask me. Hot water could be a luxury in the future.. ;D

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/18/the-james-bond-shower-a-shot-of-cold-water-for-health-and-vitality/

Large Sarge
4th June 2010, 10:12 AM
I have done that in the past, was unaware Bond did it.

the russians were big into it.

I always thought the "better circulation" made sense, pushing the blood into the core (cold water) and bringing it to the surface (hot water)

circulation is very important for health.

Anyway I do remember in the summers, cold showers were nice, in the winter, it took a lot more discipline to get under that cold water...

I might try it again

StackerKen
4th June 2010, 10:26 AM
Im gonna try it!

thanks Liquid :)

Liquid
4th June 2010, 12:23 PM
Im gonna try it!

thanks Liquid :)

Hey Ken,

Here's a quote from the article. "The Spartans, hard-asses that they were, felt hot water was for the weak and unmanly."

Right as you step into the cold water...raise your fist and shout This is Sparta!!!

I really looking forward to the testosterone boost from this.

This is Sparta!! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZeYVIWz99I&

ximmy
4th June 2010, 01:55 PM
I'm glad the link suggests starting warm and ending cold.... and warns about taking cold showers for persons with heart ailments..

k-os
4th June 2010, 01:57 PM
Until recently, my house has never been cool enough (except a few rare days in winter) to warrant a warm or hot shower. I take cold showers all the time.

Someone once told me cold water was good for my hair . . . that's all I needed to hear. ;D

StackerKen
4th June 2010, 07:02 PM
Right as you step into the cold water...raise your fist and shout This is Sparta!!!

Ok, I will try that too. :D

Desolation LineTrimmer
4th June 2010, 07:11 PM
I remember Solzhenitsyn mentioning the Russian practice of rolling around naked in snow to help acclimate to the harsh winters.

hoarder
4th June 2010, 07:48 PM
DON"T DO IT!!!

I tried taking a cold shower but my privates shrank and I must speak with a high pitched voice hereafter.
;D

Liquid
4th June 2010, 08:00 PM
DON"T DO IT!!!

I tried taking a cold shower but my privates shrank and I must speak with a high pitched voice hereafter.
;D

Haha....I'm still doing it. I'm building myself up, for my first..spartan shower tomorrow.

This. Is. Sparta. ;D

MNeagle
5th June 2010, 08:31 AM
No way for me. I'll keep taking hot showers as long as I can. I'm a freeze-baby!

Horn
5th June 2010, 08:57 AM
Hot water is a luxury item here in Costa Rica.

Unless you feel like suicide. ;D

http://norm-collie.com/casita/images/IMAGES/suicide%20shower.jpg

johnlvs2run
5th June 2010, 09:49 AM
http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/18/the-james-bond-shower-a-shot-of-cold-water-for-health-and-vitality/

I've taken cold showers off and on all my life. The cold is easier to tolerate by starting with a warm shower and gradually turning it colder, until the water is completely cold. Another way is to rinse off with a wash cloth first, then the cold is easier to bear. The surface of the skin being warm is what makes the feeling more difficult.

A couple of decades ago I was camping and had an appointment the next morning. When I got at 6am there was snow on the ground, it was cold and I needed a shower. The rest room was especially cold, and had no hot water! That was the coldest shower that I've ever had. But then it wasn't so bad to come back out in the snow.

Recently I've been washing off from a bucket in the tub, then finishing off with a 3 minute shower. This was inspired by wanting to save water $$$, save on natural gas $$$, and avoid breathing fluoride fumes from the water. I've been already convinced from a long time ago that the cold water helps the body be stronger, and the hot water makes it weak. +++

Liquid
5th June 2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks johnlvs2run, motivating post.

I survived day 1 of the spartan shower. I was quite surprised how cold the water was, so cold I couldn't stay under it for long. My head started to ache actually. I'm really going to need conviction to keep doing this. I hope I adapt and this gets easier.

I had no idea how cold the water in my area is, very surprising.

What's interesting though, while the shower itself was miserable....afterwards, it was very refreshing!

My morning shower is now going to be a battle to be endured.

johnlvs2run
5th June 2010, 10:15 AM
I was quite surprised how cold the water was, so cold I couldn't stay under it for long. My head started to ache actually. I'm really going to need conviction to keep doing this.

You definitely will adapt.

The head is especially sensitive though.

When the water feels too cold, it should help to turn the water warmer, keeping it warm just long enough to take off the chill, and then colder, back and forth. Doing this usually helps me to tolerate both the heat, and the water being completely cold by the end of the shower. Also this depends on the temperature of the water!

Liquid
5th June 2010, 10:41 AM
When the water feels too cold, it should help to turn the water warmer, keeping it warm just long enough to take off the chill, and then colder, back and forth. Doing this usually helps me to tolerate both the heat, and the water being completely cold by the end of the shower. Also this depends on the temperature of the water!

Thanks for the advise. I'll try another fully cold shower tomorrow and see if it gets easier. If not, I may try warming it up slightly like you suggest.

The water is at least as cold as the local sea temp here of 55 degrees. Personally, I think it is quite a bit colder actually.

I'll keep at it! Adapt and overcome! ;D

RJB
5th June 2010, 10:58 AM
I use warm water for cleaning, then I'll turn it to cold for the last 30 seconds. I like it because it causes all the muscles in the body to contract. This muscular activity enlivens the body. It is why I love jumping into cold springs.

It also cuts down on sweating later in the day.

StackerKen
6th June 2010, 11:22 AM
I did the James bond Sparta shower this morning. Couldn't yell Sparta though cause I didn't want to wake the wife. ;)

Very invigorating! Felt great... ;D

Now Im line triming the weeds outside in the 85 degress
(on a break) and look foward to my next Sparta Shower when I'm done for the day :)

Liquid
6th June 2010, 11:53 AM
Awesome Ken! I was hoping you'd update this thread.

Shower 2 this morning was fantastic. I followed the other advise. I started with cool, but tolerable water, and just kept going colder until I hit the coldest. Very invigorating indeed!

Great way to start the day, imo.

zap
6th June 2010, 12:02 PM
Nothing to do with cold or hot, just something my grandpa told me when he was 86 he is 92 now,
" I take a shower once a week whether I need it or not, I don't need water running down the crack of my ass everyday" his exact words .

Gotta love him. :dunno

TPTB
6th June 2010, 12:27 PM
"I don't need water running down the crack of my ass everyday"

:D That's funny, Zap.