PDA

View Full Version : California to ban plastic bags.

Ponce
4th June 2010, 10:41 AM
California to ban plastic bags.

California is to become the first US state to ban plastic bags in supermarkets in a move Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger called a "great victory for the environment."

By Nick Allen in Los Angeles
Published: 8:21PM BST 03 Jun 2010

Plastic bags take five minutes to use and 500 years to decompose Photo: AP
Shoppers will have to bring their own reusable bags or pay at least 5 cents (3p) each for recycled paper ones under the ban which was approved by state politicians.

Californians currently use an estimated 19 billion plastic bags a year, equivalent to 552 for each person, only five per cent of which are reused.

Related Articles
Pearson seeks pot of gold in China
Schwarzenegger's book ban hits Pearson
Firefighters tame California flames
Jack Black is Jesus in Hollywood?s 'Prop 8: The Musical' gay marriage ban satire
Sarkozy takes up stamp collecting with help from the Queen
Classic cars in CaliforniaThe cities of San Francisco and Malibu had already banned plastic bags and the statewide ban, which also includes pharmacies, grocery stores and liquor stores, is likely to begin at the start of 2012.

Environmentalists said it would help to stop pollution and fouling of beaches but the American Chemistry Council estimated it would amount to a $1 billion (£680 million) tax on shoppers and threaten 500 jobs in the plastic bag manufacturing business.

Ted Gaines, a Republican state politician who opposed the ban, said his family would have to spend $50 (£34) a year on paper bags.

Julia Brownley, the Democrat who proposed the move, said: "The biggest way to eliminate this kind of pollution is to ban it. Plastic bags take five minutes to use and 500 years to decompose."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/7801277/California-to-ban-plastic-bags.html

aybesee123
4th June 2010, 11:09 AM
Bags? I shop at Costco! :o

big country
4th June 2010, 11:15 AM
Plastic bags take five minutes to use and 500 years to decompose.

Politicians take 4 years to abuse their power and 200 years and a revolution to undo it.

Quantum
4th June 2010, 11:32 AM
Oh well...I can't stand those damn things anyways.

"Plastic or paper?...Paper, please..."...and I almost always get a frown.

big country
4th June 2010, 11:39 AM
If the frown is from the bagger its because they have to work harder to pack them. People can carry 20 plastic bags full of groceries at one time, they can carry two, maybe three paper bags at once. Also each bag has more groceries in it so they have to pack them in a logical way (not just throw them in the bottom like plastic)

More work for the baggers...though thats what they get paid for!

ximmy
4th June 2010, 01:41 PM
anyway you pack it.. this is still red covered over with green

Gaillo
15th June 2010, 10:01 PM
Bump for COMPLETE governmental idiocy.

I am me, I am free
15th June 2010, 10:18 PM
However dumping hundreds of tons of DU on Iraq, Afghanistan, and the former Yugoslavia is all good.

Banning plastic bags is just another 'I'm feeling GOOD about myself today!' acts.

Quantum
15th June 2010, 10:24 PM
Don't the homos in San Francisco use these plastic bags for autoerotic asphyxiation?

Grand Master Melon
15th June 2010, 10:25 PM
If the frown is from the bagger its because they have to work harder to pack them. People can carry 20 plastic bags full of groceries at one time, they can carry two, maybe three paper bags at once. Also each bag has more groceries in it so they have to pack them in a logical way (not just throw them in the bottom like plastic)

Seems like they should be happy they'll have more job security.

big country
16th June 2010, 05:24 AM

Seems like they should be happy they'll have more job security.

16-21 year old kids don't worry about job security. All they worry about is having enough $$ to go to a movie with their friends or enough to buy that next pack of smokes (or, for some a little bit of weed). Its the rare grocery bagger that doesn't fall into that demographic

iOWNme
16th June 2010, 06:06 AM
HEMP

Legalize it for industry, and watch the massive Corporations wither and die.....

It would kill:

-Plastic industry
-Cotton industry
-Paper industry
-Oil industry (We cant have that!)
-Food industry

I guess we need to keep it a 'dangerous drug'. Yeah, dangerous to TPTB!

k-os
16th June 2010, 06:11 AM
anyway you pack it.. this is still red covered over with green

This is a classic statement.