PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: BP Gulf Oil Spill Toxic Rain Falls on Cars, Ground, Central Texas

Ares
5th June 2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WZnDYsnRP0

Large Sarge
5th June 2010, 01:24 PM
I guess we need to keep our ears/eyes open for more confirmations

FreeMyLand
5th June 2010, 01:43 PM
I am close to central Texas and have seen no indication of any oil in the rain here. Believe me if it had been detected, it would be huge news.

With the way weather patterns move, if there was going to be oil falling from the sky, I would think the problem would hit near Alabama.

This guy probably had some road grime on his car and jumped to conclusions. We've had some rain recently, and it has not left any film nor have I seen any indication of it having any oil in it - at least in the 200 mile or so radius that I have been traveling in...

shamrocks33
5th June 2010, 01:45 PM
That's the drama queen george4title ;D

cedarchopper
5th June 2010, 01:52 PM
There is no BP Gulf Oil Toxic Rain Falling on Cars or the Ground in Central Texas. That guy sounded excited to spread some horseshit, and that is all it was.

TPTB
5th June 2010, 02:00 PM
This just strikes me as utter bullshit.

I mean, come on, consider how much stinking oil is on the road surface between Florida and Texas at any given time.

There's a phenomena called hydroplaning that occurs here in the South just about every time it rains hard after a dry spell, in which the rain pulls up oil that has been deposited by all the vehicles spewing their oily filth onto the roads every day in which vehicles can slide as if on a sheet of black ice, so it really isn't all that surprising if someone finds a sheen of oil on there paint. I mean, how many mini oil spills occur ever minute of every day for the past 100 years of our current transport system that we drive over or step in. The side of every busy roadway on earth is already a toxic hell.

We all wallow in poisonous oil related toxins every day of our lives.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the Gulf oil spill isn't a horrible disgusting environmental disaster, only that many of these reports are hysteria inducing balderdash, or worse...

RJB
5th June 2010, 02:01 PM
With all the oil spills in the past, I have never heard of instant where that happened. I'm skeptical.

Rubberchicken
5th June 2010, 04:04 PM
I believe it, I heard about it on the internet.

Steal
5th June 2010, 05:05 PM
any video I see that even looks like George's face, I will not waste the seconds or minutes watching it. This guy acts like he has shorted the collapse of society, a fake it till you make it kind of dude. I know we here are mostly all on the same team, and whats gonna happen is going to happen, not much to be done about it but prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I have kids, and is sad to see the dismal future they will most likley inherit.

k-os
5th June 2010, 06:36 PM
The guy on the phone strikes me as fake for some reason.

Bildo
5th June 2010, 08:16 PM
There's a phenomena called hydroplaning that occurs here in the South just about every time it rains hard after a dry spell, in which the rain pulls up oil that has been deposited by all the vehicles spewing their oily filth onto the roads every day in which vehicles can slide as if on a sheet of black ice, so it really isn't all that surprising if someone finds a sheen of oil on there paint.

At risk of being off topic, hydroplaning has nothing to do with oil. "Hydroplaning occurs when a tire encounters more water than it can dissipate. Water pressure in front of the wheel forces a wedge of water under the leading edge of the tire, causing it to lift from the road."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroplaning_(tires)

Large Sarge
6th June 2010, 03:04 AM
I know we here are mostly all on the same team, and whats gonna happen is going to happen, not much to be done about it but prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I have kids, and is sad to see the dismal future they will most likley inherit.

well there are peaceful, honest, working, inexpensive answers available for most (all?) of lifes problems (even the ones the criminals create)

its just a matter of getting the right info to the right people

I saw on CNN yesterday Jimmy Buffett has a HUGE new hotel opening on Floridas Panhandle (destin?)

anyway it is scheduled to open in the next few days.

now Jimmy Buffett has millions of fans, very deep pockets, and can command an interview from the networks

if someone could show mr buffett the "bioremediation" (microbes)

not only could he afford to sponsor this, he could get the word out to the rest of the world.

TPTB
6th June 2010, 08:39 AM
There's a phenomena called hydroplaning that occurs here in the South just about every time it rains hard after a dry spell, in which the rain pulls up oil that has been deposited by all the vehicles spewing their oily filth onto the roads every day in which vehicles can slide as if on a sheet of black ice, so it really isn't all that surprising if someone finds a sheen of oil on there paint.

At risk of being off topic, hydroplaning has nothing to do with oil. "Hydroplaning occurs when a tire encounters more water than it can dissipate. Water pressure in front of the wheel forces a wedge of water under the leading edge of the tire, causing it to lift from the road."

That's true Bildo, and perhaps the word is being used incorrectly for the phenomena I'm describing in which a thin film of oil gets between the road surface and the tire. You don't have to be moving at speed to cause lift, and it's not limited to the front tires either. I've slid sideways on a 4% grade driving a 45 ft. bus before due to this. As a matter of fact, I would consider it to be at least a contender for the most dangerous phenomena involved in the riding of bikes, because you can't see the oil under the water. I even had to dump my bike once just get it to stop before I wound up in the middle of a busy intersection because I was just sliding right on through the stop sign.
I guess it's kind of like planing on water, only with the addition of oil to lube up the situation.

You wouldn't happen to know a better word for it, would you? ??? It's just that "hydroplaning" is what I've heard other drivers call it.

Bildo
6th June 2010, 09:59 PM

That's true Bildo, and perhaps the word is being used incorrectly for the phenomena I'm describing in which a thin film of oil gets between the road surface and the tire. You don't have to be moving at speed to cause lift, and it's not limited to the front tires either. I've slid sideways on a 4% grade driving a 45 ft. bus before due to this. As a matter of fact, I would consider it to be at least a contender for the most dangerous phenomena involved in the riding of bikes, because you can't see the oil under the water. I even had to dump my bike once just get it to stop before I wound up in the middle of a busy intersection because I was just sliding right on through the stop sign.
I guess it's kind of like planing on water, only with the addition of oil to lube up the situation.

You wouldn't happen to know a better word for it, would you? ??? It's just that "hydroplaning" is what I've heard other drivers call it.

Well, TPTB, I stand corrected, sort of. At the least, we are both right. Spending a couple minutes researching, normal oil droppings on the road does indeed exacerbate the problem.

"The hydroplaning problem is even further compounded by the normal accumulation of oil on the road. The oil comes from cars leaking on the road surface and floating to the top of this layer of water. The oil layer will wash off which is why the first 10 or 15 minutes of a rain is the most dangerous."
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl910.htm

I've also been on the receiving end of being powerless to stop with a van load of kids - scary as hell!