PDA

View Full Version : Why does silver suck so bad?

Mister_Pennyweather
6th June 2010, 07:02 PM
What the hell is wrong with people buying so much gold, but leaving silver in the dust. If they're not going to buy silver at least let it drop back to 14 or less so I can buy more.

I think there should be a law where silver has to go down to 12 dollars first so I will buy more and then the law says it will go above 50. We can add it to the next stimulanus bill.

Trinity
6th June 2010, 07:22 PM
I think they (TPTB) should decree a law that fixes Silver to Gold at a certain ratio, say 20 to 1. Because from what I see no way in hell can Silver do it on it's own. It needs help/aid/a bailout, whatever you want to call it.

Mister_Pennyweather
6th June 2010, 09:01 PM
I think they (TPTB) should decree a law that fixes Silver to Gold at a certain ratio, say 20 to 1. Because from what I see no way in hell can Silver do it on it's own. It needs help/aid/a bailout, whatever you want to call it.

Yes, think of all the jobs that will be "created or saved" by investing in america's future and pegging that ratio. I'd suggest a new governmental department to oversee the ratio. This is needed because the ratio is lower than "expectations" that they're always talking about in financial news articles.

I

Trinity
7th June 2010, 03:47 PM
We need a Gold/Silver ratio Czar!

zap
29th June 2010, 08:49 PM
Yes please do tell why silver sucks so bad, down again 18.48 ! :-\

I will never buy any silver. >:(

StackerKen
29th June 2010, 08:52 PM
Any day now silver is gonna go to the moon!

Ive been hearing and thinking that for 10 years now...

zap
29th June 2010, 08:55 PM
To the moon you say :D Maybe 20.00 :conf:

StackerKen
29th June 2010, 09:02 PM

lol...Maybe... ;D

As long as it repeats the previous 15 year climb in the next 15...I'll be satisfied though

BrewTech
29th June 2010, 09:15 PM

I'd be happy to see 20.00 again. I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen.

hoarder
29th June 2010, 09:23 PM
Gold and silver are the two most manipulated commodities. Silver is more difficult to manipulate because bankers own most of the gold, they own little silver. Their hope is that silver will follow gold and a few strategic news reports will keep silver tagging along like a freckle-faced step sister.

So....if you are going to invest in one of the two most manipulated commodities, don't you want the one that's hardest to manipulate? Which one do you think the banksters will lose control of first?

Steal
30th June 2010, 03:21 AM
Yes please do tell why silver sucks so bad, down again 18.48 ! :-\

I will never buy any silver. >:(

Too each his own. Took it as a lucky break, added to the stack. Any given moment this thing can break wide open. If goes down some more, add again I shall. Sure as hell NOT buying a gold eagle for $1,290

Saul Mine
30th June 2010, 04:45 AM
Silver and gold have averaged 18% per year since the bottom, which points to $19.95 by the end of this year. Nothing else has done that well. Nothing.

gunDriller
30th June 2010, 12:49 PM
Gold and silver are the two most manipulated commodities. Silver is more difficult to manipulate because bankers own most of the gold, they own little silver. Their hope is that silver will follow gold and a few strategic news reports will keep silver tagging along like a freckle-faced step sister.

So....if you are going to invest in one of the two most manipulated commodities, don't you want the one that's hardest to manipulate? Which one do you think the banksters will lose control of first?

silver is a much smaller market. i'm not an expert but i have the impression from listening to guys on King World & Harvey Organ & Financial Sense that silver is easier to manipulate because it is smaller.

the one thing i notice is that on "strong dollar days", days when gold & silver are both being hammered - and days like this are becoming scarce - gold will fall 1 to 2% while silver will fall 4 to 5%.

of course, this may be related to price. maybe when silver is ever $100 it will have smaller percentage variations ?

it's a good question for the metal traders like Harvey Organ. Which metal is easier to manipulate ? (question #2, how do you define "easier".)

to me it seems like the bankers have gone to extraordinary lengths to manipulate both, e.g. England selling their gold for $240 an ounce or whatever it was. JPMorgan taking up a silver short position near 20,000 tons, the annual world production.

if i was a central banker i would argue for a currency that is backed by silver and gold. then silver wouldn't suck so bad ! 8) though actually i don't think silver sucks, i think someday when the silver shorts run out of steam (or get diarrhea and have to stay home), we may hold a 10 ounce silver bar in our hand and think, "damn ! this used to be sold for $180 !"

those of us who are older could almost say the same thing about a 10 ounce gold bar. i guess in recent times the cheapest that has been is $2000.

hoarder
30th June 2010, 03:11 PM
silver is a much smaller market. i'm not an expert but i have the impression from listening to guys on King World & Harvey Organ & Financial Sense that silver is easier to manipulate because it is smaller.

The Hunts recognized how small the silver market was and look what they did to the price of silver. The banksters had to change the rules to stop the Hunts.

Saul Mine
30th June 2010, 06:16 PM
Yep, it's true: you can't eat gold. And you can't shoot food. And you can't drive bullets. And a car is a lousy store of value.

Everything is worthless!

Desolation LineTrimmer
30th June 2010, 07:16 PM
Yep, it's true: you can't eat gold. And you can't shoot food. And you can't drive bullets. And a car is a lousy store of value.

Everything is worthless!

You can actually shoot food, but point taken.

StackerKen
1st July 2010, 09:35 AM
Back the truck up!

Silver is on sale again today

Mister_Pennyweather
1st July 2010, 12:21 PM
Come on down to 14 come on silver, you know you can do it.

Skirnir
1st July 2010, 12:40 PM
At the very least; another trip to smell the roses around the 200DMA is in order...

gunDriller
1st July 2010, 03:52 PM
Back the truck up!

Silver is on sale again today

what's more on sale, gold or silver ? gold @ $1200, silver @ 17.80 ?

BOTH 8)

silver seems to compress more.

there was a good article at Zero Hedge about people getting a little more faith in the Euro, which tended to hammer people who were shorting the Euro and betting on gold and the US dollar. they had to liquidate, and in the process a few hedge funds ceased to exist (possible silver lining ? 8) ), and gold got hammered.

though it was only 3%, from $1240 to $1200.

but it seems like when gold drops 3%, silver drops 6%. that's what i mean by silver compressing more.

another day like today and silver will be even more on sale, around $17. who knows. the markets are so schizoid, so hyper manipulated (JPMorgan and HSBC for Precious Metals, Plunge Protection team for stocks). i wouldn't be surprised to see for Friday -

PM's down
gold $1170 silver $17

PM's up
gold $1220 silver $18.25

Saul Mine
1st July 2010, 07:17 PM

Everything is worthless!

Yes, I know that. I used to shoot beans, but the teacher took my shooter away!

Steal
1st July 2010, 07:22 PM

Everything is worthless!

Yes, I know that. I used to shoot beans, but the teacher took my shooter away!

Now that was pretty whitty, thanks for the chuckle before bed.

Book
1st July 2010, 07:40 PM
Silver doesn't suck.

It blows. Nobody will be reading the date on our "silver" dime wtshtf as we tell them that Kitco says it is worth more than ten cents that day. It is now only an industrial metal and (ahem) there ain't no more industry. Silver is not used by the photography industry anymore to manufacture film. Not used by any nation anymore for manufacturing coins. Used in electronic circuitboards but the unemployed can't afford a $500 iPhone either.

Silver blows.

:fish

p.s. The Hunt Brothers died and it will NEVER be manipulated up to their $50 price again. Never.

zap
1st July 2010, 07:44 PM
yep :-\

Book
1st July 2010, 07:49 PM
yep :-\

http://file.siam2web.com/neodentalcare/filling/2009816_56522.gif

Dentists don't even use it anymore.

:D

hoarder
3rd July 2010, 07:31 AM
If, as some here say, they aren't using silver any more, what are they using gold for?

The fact that they have used silver for so many uses in the last few decades is why there is so little above ground silver. Gold? There is still tons of it sitting in the bankers coffers to be thrown on the market any time it poses a risk to fiat.

ShortJohnSilver
3rd July 2010, 07:19 PM
If, as some here say, they aren't using silver any more, what are they using gold for?

The fact that they have used silver for so many uses in the last few decades is why there is so little above ground silver. Gold? There is still tons of it sitting in the bankers coffers to be thrown on the market any time it poses a risk to fiat.

Nano silver accounted for 1200 tonnes of use last year. And right now it is pretty much a niche market, if that grows, that would be even more silver demand.

As gold increases, more silver is used in electronics. Gold is still needed in some places though.

StackerKen
3rd July 2010, 09:11 PM
yeah...your right book...Im done buying it....

I need to change my ID to HolderKen now. ;)

Mister_Pennyweather
5th July 2010, 12:01 PM
It needs to drop down to 14 or less or jump up to 30. Rockets or subs none of this surface ship bullshit.

1970 silver art
28th July 2010, 04:14 AM
Why does silver suck so bad?..............Because silver is a DOG. Everybody knows that. ;D

However, I will NEVER give up on the DOG because it is my best friend and I will cherish it to the very end. ;D

gunDriller
28th July 2010, 05:39 AM
Why does silver suck so bad?..............Because silver is a DOG. Everybody knows that. ;D

dogs get thirsty

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/puppy_straw.jpg

http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/lg/2/0/200177.jpg

1970 silver art
28th July 2010, 09:13 AM

dogs get thirsty

[img]

[img]

Yeah that is true but they can also take a dump. Silver is living up to it's name of DOG since it is taking a dump pricewise. It does not matter what it does pricewise. I will always cherish the DOG in the form of 1-oz '70's silver art bars. :)

Silver Rocket Bitches!
28th July 2010, 12:33 PM
One of these days the dog will rocket up up and away.

;D

http://picture-book.com/files/userimages/73u/pb03-rocketdog_300.jpg

1970 silver art
28th July 2010, 02:23 PM
One of these days the dog will rocket up up and away.

;D

[img]

That day will come soon. It will come sometime later this year when silver hits $23. When that happens, I will be the happiest DOG Bug on GSUS. Believe it. :)

StackerKen
28th July 2010, 02:35 PM
Why does silver suck so bad?
I don't know why
It just does

gunDriller
28th July 2010, 04:40 PM
That day will come soon. It will come sometime later this year when silver hits $23. When that happens, I will be the happiest DOG Bug on GSUS. Believe it. :)

the price is only $17.50-ish because it is market manipulated so much.

position limits go into effect in 6 months.

but i don't think that will stop the manipulators - but it might slow them down.

in other words, it has to go up. & the premium for physical will increase, as certain COMex metal-traders are finding, as they are compensated handsomely in FRN's for giving up their current month delivery ... at least according to Harvey O.

wvojak
30th July 2010, 02:38 PM
It blows. Nobody will be reading the date on our "silver" dime wtshtf as we tell them that Kitco says it is worth more than ten cents that day. It is now only an industrial metal and (ahem) there ain't no more industry. Silver is not used by the photography industry anymore to manufacture film. Not used by any nation anymore for manufacturing coins. Used in electronic circuitboards but the unemployed can't afford a $500 iPhone either.

Silver is used in LCD panels (TVs, Monitors, laptops and such - 330t of silver annually).
Silver is used in solar cells
Silver is used in many batteries
Silver is used in antimicrobial clothing (new industry - clothes that inhibit bacteria and odor)
Silver is used in catalytic converters
Silver is used in mirrors
Silver is used in the food packaging industry
Silver is used in RFID tags

ximmy
30th July 2010, 02:42 PM
I bought 60 more oz yesterday... ;D

mamboni
30th July 2010, 02:49 PM

the price is only $17.50-ish because it is market manipulated so much.

position limits go into effect in 6 months.

but i don't think that will stop the manipulators - but it might slow them down.

in other words, it has to go up. & the premium for physical will increase, as certain COMex metal-traders are finding, as they are compensated handsomely in FRN's for giving up their current month delivery ... at least according to Harvey O.

This has been corroborated by Jim Willie, who has flat out stated that "they don't have the metal!" The longs are being bribed, accepting substantial cash premiums to walk away from physical delivery. It seems that the word will travel on the street quickly and more and more traders will be buying gold and silver long contracts if only to collect nice cash premia. I don't see how the crooked shorts (JP Morgan & Co.) can keep the spot prices suppressed indefinitely.

Lately, given the talk of QE II, the FDIC flat broke, sluggish economy, and impending implosion in Commercial RE and worsening residential RE (increasing foreclosures, short sales and huge inventory overhang), I think the FED is going to be forced to do some massive monetization over and above what is being done surrepticiously at present. I'm feeling very good about holding silver and gold long, both physical and paper, especially the former.

mamboni
30th July 2010, 02:54 PM

I bought 6000 oz 2 days ago! [but, paper silver only]. Nevertheless, I like the trade and play on paper SLV and want to help put pressure on the shorts.

I just heard an interview of Jim Rogers out of Singapore: he said he's bullish long silver at 'today's price,' more so than gold. That's the first I've heard him committing to endorsing silver and insinuating that he likes it over and above other commodities. But the guy is so damn squirrely: he said he's not buying it 'now.' :conf: ::)

ximmy
30th July 2010, 05:33 PM

I bought 6000 oz 2 days ago! [but, paper silver only]. Nevertheless, I like the trade and play on paper SLV and want to help put pressure on the shorts.

I just heard an interview of Jim Rogers out of Singapore: he said he's bullish long silver at 'today's price,' more so than gold. That's the first I've heard him committing to endorsing silver and insinuating that he likes it over and above other commodities. But the guy is so damn squirrely: he said he's not buying it 'now.' :conf: ::)

I don't have that kind of money... I was going to buy 100 but the dealer only had 60...

SLV^GLD
30th July 2010, 05:59 PM
Silver sucks so bad I have to take an under-spot price for it so I can trade it for gold and still pay the premium on the gold.

I may have to retire my username.

Saul Mine
31st July 2010, 12:25 AM
On June 6, the date of the OP, the gold/silver ratio was about 66:1. Currently it is about 66:1. Throughout that period it has not gone below 65 or above 68. So by what stretch of logic do you claim that silver sucks and gold doesn't?

SLV^GLD
31st July 2010, 05:32 AM
So by what stretch of logic do you claim that silver sucks and gold doesn't?
My assertion lies in the fact that if I sell my silver to a local dealer he pays me less than spot. Were I to sell gold he would pay me more than spot. I don't think silver sucks, really, I hold tons more of it than the yellow but I've been reconsidering my position lately.

gunDriller
31st July 2010, 06:00 AM
My assertion lies in the fact that if I sell my silver to a local dealer he pays me less than spot. Were I to sell gold he would pay me more than spot. I don't think silver sucks, really, I hold tons more of it than the yellow but I've been reconsidering my position lately.

gold seems to be more liquid than silver. liquid in the sense of being able to redeem it for $ - at or above the spot price.

also people look at the APMex "Buy" price and think they'll get that price if they sell silver, e.g. an SAE. the APMex buy prices apply to larger purchases, $1K to $10K.

if you have tons of silver you're sitting pretty. that market is more heavily manipulated. it may require more patience but ... silver is money too !

Skirnir
31st July 2010, 06:08 AM

Sell to BullionDirect or eBay during the weekend when morons come out.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
4th August 2010, 11:42 AM

Traditionally, hasn't this been a duty/responsibility of proper government? To set the ratio?

Mister_Pennyweather
26th August 2010, 01:27 PM
I see it's up a little. Haven't been checking the prices daily, but 19 bucks an ounce ain't too bad. Is this the time of year when silver picks up? The end of summer slowness?