PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler recalls nearly 600,000 vehicles

MNeagle
7th June 2010, 06:40 AM
(Reuters) - Doors that could catch fire, brakes that could fail and accelerators that could stick have caused Chrysler Group LLC to recall nearly 600,000 vehicles involving five models in the United States, U.S. safety regulators said on Monday.

Chrysler informed the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the potential safety issues last week, the NHTSA reports show.

As many as 284,831 Chrysler Town and Country minivans and Dodge Grand Caravan minivans for model years 2008 and 2009 could develop a problem in the electrical system that could cause a short circuit in the latch for the sliding door, which could cause a fire, Chrysler told regulators.

As many as 288,968 Chrysler Jeep Wranglers from model year 2007 to 2010 could experience leaking brake fluid which could cause brake failure.

These two recalls are in addition to one first reported last Friday for as many as 25,336 Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass vehicles for the 2007 model year involving possible sticky accelerator pedals.

Owners of the models involved in each of the recalls are to be notified by Chrysler this month and Chrysler said it will fix the vehicles without charge.

Chrysler, based in Auburn Hills, Michigan, is managed by Fiat SpA (FIA.MI).

link (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6535I220100607?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FbusinessNews+%28New s+%2F+US+%2F+Business+News%29)

mamboni
7th June 2010, 06:54 AM
My 2003 Trailblazer transmission blew up on the weekend. I only had 89,000 miles and maintained the truck meticulously and drove it like an old man. I'm dumping the sucker and getting a new car. I need something inexpensive, reliable and medium-sized that can seat four adults and with reasonable storage.

I'm ruling out any GM car right off: no government motors car for me. I'm not too keen on Toyotas these days. I'm not a big fan of Fords - had problems with two Ford cars in past. Now this Chrysler recall.

I'm thinking.........Hyundai.

big country
7th June 2010, 07:03 AM
My 2003 Trailblazer transmission blew up on the weekend. I only had 89,000 miles and maintained the truck meticulously and drove it like an old man. I'm dumping the sucker and getting a new car. I need something inexpensive, reliable and medium-sized that can seat four adults and with reasonable storage.

I'm ruling out any GM car right off: no government motors car for me. I'm not too keen on Toyotas these days. I'm not a big fan of Fords - had problems with two Ford cars in past. Now this Chrysler recall.

I'm thinking.........Hyundai.

I like Kia for my foreign car of choice. 10yr warranty is hard to pass up!

Now, having said that I'd most likely buy a Ford or a Jeep (kinda foreign now, I know..) before I bought a Kia if I could afford it I think.

Ash_Williams
7th June 2010, 10:27 AM
Every time I have to get something fixed I miss the cars of the 80s.
I do my own work mostly but the parts are stupid expensive still.

I got a transmission replaced in my first car, for less than it costs be to buy some useless 02 sensors now. I also drove that car for over 100,000 miles without any service, only topping up the oil when it got low.

I swear I'm just going to buy a big square Caprice Classic for $500 and say good bye to the damn repair bills for a few years...

Glass
7th June 2010, 08:11 PM
The lady next door to me has a new calibre... well year old now. I have never seen a vehicle leak so much fluid from new as this thing does. It replaced an old Ford family sedan which while thirsty never left a single drop of oil.

I'm not surprsed by the recall.... build quality leaves a lot to bedesired these days.

mick silver
7th June 2010, 08:16 PM
more bailout will be coming for Chrysler .......... to big to fail

Twisted Titan
8th June 2010, 04:36 AM
Up until 99 you could get v ery good American and domestic cars

It would make sense to stay there

You can actually lift up the hood and recognize the basic parts

I just had to give somebody a jump last week and it was a van ( forget the maker but I want to say chysler)

I swear to god it took my almost 5 minutes to find the battery ( hid under the fuse box) and the attacment poles werre facing insidie towards the engine ( wtf)

I have never seen a battery setup so ass backwards in my life it seem that they want so that any car trouble whatsoever it lands you right in the dealrship so they put the hard sell on you for all the serving you need

T