PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you know about RHOGAM shots

big country
7th June 2010, 08:43 AM
So here is the deal:

My wife is pregnant with our first child, she's due Sept 25th. Shes O- blood type and I'm A+ so she is at risk for "RH disease" where her blood will develop anti-bodies and destroy anything that is not "negative" blood type. (not a risk for the first child, but for subsequent ones) atleast that is my understanding.

The Dr. (midwife w/ OB support) wants to give her a RHOGAM shot at 28weeks, as well as one after delivery. The little bit I read online about it said that it is only effective for 3 days before or after the babies blood and the mothers blood had mixed, and that the 28 week shot was no necessary and only "recommended" by big pharma to sell more shots. I cant remember or find the link where I read that. I asked the midwife about that point and she said that they recommend the 28 week shot, and "don't believe everything you read online. You can find support for ANY side of the agurement you want to believe on the internet"

I'm inclined to decline the 28 week shot and only accept the shot after delivery after they test the babies blood to make sure it is POSITIVE blood type (if the baby is negative then this isn't an issue). Would you say this is a responsible stance regarding the health of my wife and the possibility of developing RH disease and risking future pregnancies?

I know no one can tell me what to do, just looking for opinions. Any bad side effects? I had never heard of all the LASIK problems until (can't remember who) on GIM1 talked about it and LASIK-flap.com or whatever his site was. Just want to be totally informed so I'm reaching out to see if anyone has heard of anything or has experience.

Thanks!

Heimdhal
7th June 2010, 08:56 AM
Ive never heard of this, so this is just opinion based on what you've said.

I am not the biggest "shot" supporter out there. Our kid hasnt had many and I personaly dont plan on getting her anymore, though the wife isnt adverse to it when shes OLDER. I think the risks associated with "vaccines" and these shots is less in grown and developed adults than in still developing infant children. This is of course barring things like the rushed H1n1 vacc that got a few people messed up.

I think if there is a risk to future pregnancies and you guys are planning on having more, then its probably not the end of the world to get the shot after the delivery. I'd be a bit hesitant on the 28 week one though. If it seems fairly uneccesary and redundant, it probably is and anything being injected into a pregnant woman is suspect to me anyways. I think its good that she doesnt really want that one.

Hopefully it will work out and your wife wont need it. I guess all you can really do is just keep researching it more to see what kind of adverse effects there are and how common they are and if it disagrees with your own logic and reasoning, then dont force yourself to make a decision you aren comofortable with.

mamboni
7th June 2010, 09:53 AM
RHOGAM is very safe. The serum antibodies persist in the maternal bloodstream for weeks. You do not want to risk RH-incompatibility and the risks to your wife and the baby (erythroblastosis fetalis). She should get the shot: accepting RHOGAM is a no-brainer.

big country
7th June 2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks Mamboni, I was hoping you would chime in. I appreciate your advice.

+1

Heimdhal
7th June 2010, 11:17 AM
RHOGAM is very safe. The serum antibodies persist in the maternal bloodstream for weeks. You do not want to risk RH-incompatibility and the risks to your wife and the baby (erythroblastosis fetalis). She should get the shot: accepting RHOGAM is a no-brainer.

Thanks for posting mamboni.

mamboni
7th June 2010, 11:26 AM
You are welcome!

Lately, I have had no desire to post though I do read many of the interesting postings here. I think I'm suffering from CMFS*** and I hope it will pass in time.

***Chronic Mental Fatigue Syndrome aka Lazy Brain aka Slow Neuron Disorder aka Information Overload-Induced Neurotransmitter Depletion Syndrome.