PDA

View Full Version : Obama Calls Gaza Situation ‘Unsustainable,’ Announces Aid Plan

MNeagle
9th June 2010, 10:24 AM
By Kate Andersen Brower

June 9 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama called the situation in the Gaza Strip “unsustainable” after he and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas met in an effort to restore momentum to the peace process.

Obama announced the U.S. will provide $400 million in aid for housing, school construction and other infrastructure improvements in Gaza and the West Bank to help improve the “day-to-day life” of Palestinians.

“The situation in Gaza is unsustainable,” Obama said after today’s Oval Office meeting. Israel’s security needs must be met as well as the humanitarian needs of the people in Gaza, Obama said as he called for a new “conceptual framework” for Israel’s blockade to focus on stopping the flow of arms.

Obama said attention has been refocused on Gaza because of Israel’s naval blockade of the territory. Israel says the effort is aimed at preventing Hamas, whose charter calls for the destruction of the Jewish state, from getting weapons.

A May 31 Israeli raid on a ship in an aid flotilla that resulted in the deaths of nine pro-Palestinian activists has drawn international criticism.

“We should be able to take what had been a tragedy and turn it into an opportunity,” Obama said.

Obama said he wants to get indirect talks between Israel and the Palestinians back on course and that he expects “significant progress” before the end of the year.

Work to Be Done

“There’s a lot of work that remains to be done so that we can create a two-state solution in the Middle East,” he said. “In the long run the only real way to solve this problem is to make sure that we’ve got a Palestinian state side by side with an Israel that is secure.”

Abbas said through a translator that he appreciates Obama’s “attention and determination” in moving the peace process forward.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s planned meeting with Obama at the White House was canceled last week because of the raid.

The U.S. has declined to specifically censure Israeli actions, while backing a June 1 UN Security Council resolution that condemned the violence that led to the deaths of the aid activists and calling for an impartial inquiry.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aZJsu4kcTnkM&pos=9

Horn
9th June 2010, 10:34 AM
“There’s a lot of work that remains to be done so that we can create a two-state solution in the Middle East,”

http://reformedfaith.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/shocked.jpghttp://dir.coolclips.com/Household/Common_Household_Items/Bells/symbol_of_an_alarm_bell_CoolClips_indu0457.jpg

Ash_Williams
9th June 2010, 10:38 AM
Yes, unsustainable things tend to end. We can't have that. Must keep up perpetual conflict.

keehah
9th June 2010, 10:39 AM
So now US taxpayer is taxed to build houses at the same time he is taxed to build bombs to destroy the houses.

Not that this is anything new, just that this usually happens separated by a US election or two, not at the same time.

Horn
9th June 2010, 10:52 AM
Not that this is anything new, just that this usually happens separated by a US election or two, not at the same time.

Maybe they've given up on trying to entertain incumbents & are just focusing on hooking up whoever is elected with a special interest group.

Comparable to an onside kick in the 2min warning (football).

k-os
9th June 2010, 11:11 AM
I am really sick of the word unsustainable. It has got to be Obama's most over used political/environment/economical/social/military buzz word. That and "unprecedented". I know there are bigger things to bitch about, but this just irks me.

Book
9th June 2010, 11:39 AM
So now US taxpayer is taxed to build houses at the same time he is taxed to build bombs to destroy the houses.

http://pinkturtle2.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/semb5.jpg

An Israeli Apache helicopter fires decoy flares over the Gaza Strip January 15, 2009. Israeli forces pushed deeper into the city of Gaza and pounded densely populated neighbourhoods with artillery and tank shells on Thursday, stepping up pressure on Hamas as the warring sides weighed a ceasefire proposal. REUTERS/Yannis Behrakis

Apache gunship and artillery built in the USA.

:oo-->

http://www.onejerusalem.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/gaza-bombing-by-reuters.jpg

Horn
9th June 2010, 12:08 PM
I know there are bigger things to bitch about, but this just irks me.

Gives me ogida too.

I can see this is all leading up to the carbon tax is why.

Where only Government operations will be classified as sustainable.

ximmy
9th June 2010, 12:19 PM

They did some calculations and the Palestinians were simply unable to rebuild structures as fast as the Israelis destroy them... thus the increase in funds, so that the israeli army can continue "SUSTAIN" training in urban and combat warfare.