PDA

View Full Version : BP faces a new nightmare as oil causes Florida swimming ban

Large Sarge
10th June 2010, 03:01 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bp-faces-a-new-nightmare-as-oil-causes-florida-swimming-ban-1996127.html

BP faces a new nightmare as oil causes Florida swimming ban

By David Usborne, US Editor

Thursday, 10 June 2010
Share Close
Digg
del.icio.us
Facebook
Reddit
Google
Stumble Upon
Fark
Newsvine
YahooBuzz
Bebo
Twitter
Independent Minds
Print Email Text Size
NormalLargeExtra Large
sponsored links:
Ads by Google

Is Your Bank In Trouble?
Free list Of Banks Doomed To Fail.The Banks and Brokers X List. Free!
www.MoneyAndMarkets.com

Resurrection of Jesus
Did Jesus Rise From the Dead?Discover the Facts From Scholars
www.y-Jesus.com/Resurrection

Be Prepared Not Surprised
Emergencies, Survival, Camping...We have you covered
www.PreparedPlanet.com

The environmental nightmare unleashed by the crippled BP oil well in the Gulf of Mexico crept further into the white-sand paradises of Florida yesterday with officials announcing a swimming ban along a six-mile stretch of popular lido while researchers warned of mass lay-offs in the state's all-important tourism sector this year.

The damage being inflicted on BP itself meanwhile continued to worsen as shares in London fell another 4 per cent in nervous trading that reflected the campaign by the federal government in Washington to shift all blame for the catastrophe on to the company by serving notice that it will be expected to pay all bills. Pressure on BP was even harsher in New York where its depositary shares closed down 16 per cent. "People are resigning themselves to the fact that there may be a suspension of the dividend," said Tony Shepard, an oil analyst at brokerage Charles Stanley in London.

Related articles
Econoblog: BP could be forcred out of America
Deep-water oil drilling: banned in America, allowed here
Transatlantic spat sees BP shares plunge 7%
Steve Robertson: The Shetlands are all we've got left to exploit
Cameron 'understands US frustration' over BP leak
Michael McCarthy: Little boats of Louisiana come to the rescue
World needs Gulf of Mexico's oil, says BP
Leading article: The lessons of the Gulf of Mexico crisis
Search the news archive for more stories
The Interior Secretary, Ken Salazar, told US Congress he now expected BP to pay for the cancelled salaries of anyone unexpectedly without work because of the six-month moratorium on deep-ocean drilling announced in the wake of the blow-out.

A memorandum from Goldman Sachs, the Wall Street brokerage giant, meanwhile put at $33bn (£23bn) the eventual cost to BP for everything associated with the disaster, including clean-up, legal bills and compensation payments. The analysts said it may be a decade before all these costs have materialised, however. The bank predicted the two-quarter dividend holiday by the company in response to direct pressure from US politicians.

Tar balls have been puncturing the sands of Pensacola in Florida since last weekend. Yesterday, officials introduced the first swimming ban in the state associated with the leak, covering a six-mile stretch of Perdido Beach on the Gulf Shore Islands. The White House said Barack Obama, whose presidency has been knocked off course by the crisis, would make a fourth trip to the Gulf Coast next week, notably making his first stop since the disaster began in Florida, an all-important political swing state.

Sean Snaith, an economist with the University of Central Florida, released an initial study into the potential impact of the disaster on the state's economy, concluding that as many as 195,000 Floridians employed in the tourism sector could be laid off as a result of the spill. Mr Snaith contended that a direct hit by the surface slick on Florida could spell a 50 per cent drop in tourist visits. Exactly how serious a scenario will unfold is difficult to predict, he admitted. "The whole economic impact of the episode is a giant layer cake of uncertainty," he said. "How many counties will be affected? I don't know. We won't really know until the oil starts washing up on the shore."

Just days ago, however, officials at BP were publicly suggesting Florida would escape all impact from the spill. As in other areas, the company seems now to have downplayed the fall-out from the disaster. Similarly, officials continued yesterday to dispute findings by the US government that large suspended plumes of crude are hanging in the Gulf as far down as 3,000 feet. The existence of the plumes was confirmed by the government on Tuesday.

Admiral Thad Allen of the US Coast Guard released a letter he had sent to BP expressing concern that the company was fouling up in its disbursement of compensation claim monies. He said he had demanded a meeting with company executives, which was due to take place later yesterday. In the letter to BP sent on 8 June, he said: "The Federal Government and the public expects BP's claims process to fully address the needs of impacted individuals and businesses."

oldmansmith
10th June 2010, 03:05 PM
BP, being a corporation, faces no nightmare. It can "die" and it's board of directors still make off with all the loot. The pieces wll be bought by other multinational corporations ready to screw you at the next opportunity.

sunshine05
10th June 2010, 03:40 PM
The article isn't really accurate in that the beach is not closed, just an advisory was issued. The beach from this news video looks fine. Am I the only one who questions whether this event is real? I'm not saying it is fake, just that it's possible.

http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wear_vid_8858.shtml

gunDriller
11th June 2010, 04:47 AM
BP, being a corporation, faces no nightmare. It can "die" and it's board of directors still make off with all the loot. The pieces wll be bought by other multinational corporations ready to screw you at the next opportunity.

i don't know if you've ever read the Talmud, but if you read the part called the "Sanhedrin", it reads just like a business law book.

of course the Talmud is all biased in favor of the Jewish people.

so, in the Talmud, "if the Jews inflict an oil spill up on the Goyim, there is no crime"

in business law, "if the executives inflict an oil spill up on the American public, the executives have no liability."

for anybody who is curious about how business law got to the point where a British oil company could trash an American ocean and the executives would pay no price - officially - i suggest getting a copy of the Talmud and a copy of relevant business law.

it will be very clear how the former morphed into the latter - since they're very similar.

TPTB
11th June 2010, 05:58 AM
The article isn't really accurate in that the beach is not closed, just an advisory was issued. The beach from this news video looks fine. Am I the only one who questions whether this event is real? I'm not saying it is fake, just that it's possible.

http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wear_vid_8858.shtml

I agree. Not so much that the event is real(I'm sure it is) but that the event is wildly overblown into a fear mongering bonanza by the media.

A lolapalooza of end of the world histrionics. Whoopee, we're all gonna die in an ocean of oil.

I've never seen such wailing and gnashing of teeth... and I don't even own a TV.

It's being politicized so much that I definitely think a shell game is being played on us. I should say "another shell" in the shell game.

Here's a news cast that puts this oil catastrophe into perspective. It's like Deja Vu all over again. This has already been posted by StackerKen, but I think it's important enough to repeat.

http://www.youtube.com/v/P-4oooyqe_8&hl=en_US&fs=1&