PDA

View Full Version : Naples, Florida and the oil catastrophe

crazychicken
11th June 2010, 10:37 AM
I just got off the phone with a business associate who lives in Naples.

He said that at this time there appears to be no imminent threat to that area. Not even much concern it will have any impact. That the feeling is it is staying in the deeper water and is not approaching the area at all.

No news reports or public safety announcements at all.

CC

Heimdhal
11th June 2010, 11:17 AM
Hes a fool not to be concerned. Were only 50 days in.........think about that.

ximmy
11th June 2010, 11:20 AM
Hey, your associate sounds just like the local news... nothing to see here folks... move along ;)

Book
11th June 2010, 11:29 AM
He said that at this time there appears to be no imminent threat to that area. Not even much concern it will have any impact. That the feeling is it is staying in the deeper water and is not approaching the area at all.

http://www.nicoandshannon.com/cancun/margaritaville.jpg

Tequila will do that to 'ya. Tell him to get off the bar stool and take a drive around...lol.

:oo-->

k-os
11th June 2010, 03:11 PM
I read the original post like what the average person would say about the economy - it's no big deal, it won't happen here, etc. They want to think that everything will be OK, and that the disaster will only hurt rich people who live on the beach, or it will only kill all the sea life . . . they can't think big enough, they can't think far enough out of their little world.

crazychicken
11th June 2010, 03:13 PM
Just passing on what the guy told me.

Personally--We are at almost 5,000 feet elevation, remote as all get out and one LOOONG ways from the gulf and the associated local problems.

We are already at our last bastion. I feel bad for what is going on and would help anyone we could. That is what people this country are supposed to do. At least in my humble opinion.

But as far as being responsible for anyone else and/or their opinions. NAH!

Like the Jimmy Buffet thing though!

CC

Book
11th June 2010, 03:16 PM
. . . they can't think big enough, they can't think far enough out of their little world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyW6w5B7Aw

Wait another month when the free BP money runs out.

:D

Ponce
11th June 2010, 03:27 PM
LOL Book, they are all black people.........they should go the the Popeye's in the white neighborhood and there they will find it.

Libertytree
11th June 2010, 03:35 PM
People in Naples tend to be more insulated just in their own worlds, money can do that for ya. Make no mistake the regular folks with half a brain, both in Naples and the rest of Florida's Gulf coast are paying bigtime attention.

EE_
11th June 2010, 05:25 PM
Funny, I heard the places in Florida that are expected to be hardest hit by oil slicks are Naples, Miami, Boca Raton, and South/West Palm Beach.
I don't know what kind of people live in these cities?, but they should be very worried!
High-end real estate values are expected to plummet in these areas by the end of the year.
Okay, I made it up, but what if I'm right?

k-os
11th June 2010, 05:36 PM
West Palm Beach is not "high end real estate". If you take the "West" out of West Palm Beach, that's some of the most expensive property in the world, I would imagine. People buy an acre of land and a two year old mansion for $14 million just to demolish it and build a new one for another $10 million.

Anyway, if your list is correct, and my area is one of the worst hit . . . I am going to need a new place to live. It's too bad everything is "cold" compared to here. I guess I'd probably just walk away from my mortgage and move to Ecuador.

EE_
11th June 2010, 05:58 PM
West Palm Beach is not "high end real estate". If you take the "West" out of West Palm Beach, that's some of the most expensive property in the world, I would imagine. People buy an acre of land and a two year old mansion for $14 million just to demolish it and build a new one for another $10 million.

Anyway, if your list is correct, and my area is one of the worst hit . . . I am going to need a new place to live. It's too bad everything is "cold" compared to here. I guess I'd probably just walk away from my mortgage and move to Ecuador.

Okay, it must be South Palm then.
If you move to Equador, please post more swiming pictures of you in your bathing suit...just to prove you are there. ;)

k-os
11th June 2010, 06:01 PM

Okay, it must be South Palm then.
If you move to Equador, please post more swiming pictures of you in your bathing suit...just to prove you are there. ;)

Not going to happen, I am afraid. My days of bikini pics are behind me. I have some from last year, but there's a point where a person really needs to draw the line, and I am there. ;D

Yes, South Palm Beach is very wealthy too, like Palm Beach.

Ponce
11th June 2010, 06:28 PM
My dear Miss K..........talking about "bikini" without pictures is not fair.