PDA

View Full Version : 2 more appleseed rifleman

NOOB
13th June 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm pumped.

Me and a friend went to the appleseed shoot today and both shot rifleman. My buddy reads here but I don't think he has joined yet.
He shot a 242 on the first aqt target. I had ejection issues the first go round so I didn't get all my shots off.
The second attempt I shot a 237.

We have practiced this since last year when we went. The practice paid off.

k-os
13th June 2010, 04:17 PM
Congratulations, NOOB (and friend)! That is fantastic!

That's damn fine shooting!

Heimdhal
13th June 2010, 04:20 PM
holy fuck, 242 is amazing. Thats definitley one of the highest I've heard of. 237 aint to shabby either!

What state are yall in, I want to read the AAR on the forum and see how jealous everyone gets.

Now it is my mission to whoop that score into next week.

k-os
13th June 2010, 04:31 PM
I know! Now I feel like an ass for complaining about my one missing point. These guys had 17 and 23 EXTRA points!

Where were you able to practice, NOOB?

KumbayaMan
13th June 2010, 06:45 PM
I'd really like to go to my local appleseed shoot this year.

Questions?
Do most just bring .22's or would you bring your AR / AK?
Would you want a scoped rifle or are iron sights good? :dunno

Any insights beyond the FAQ on the appleseed website would be appreciated

k-os
13th June 2010, 07:06 PM
Most bring a .22, because it's cheaper. You go through a lot of ammo. Approximately 400 rounds for the weekend.

People use both iron sights and scopes. I would rather have a scope, but that's because I want every advantage I can get. I am not as good as NOOB and friend. :-)

Tips: Stretch. Get down into prone a few times a week and dry fire. You'll be way better off than I was my first time.

NOOB
14th June 2010, 04:05 AM
We went last year and shot iron sights. 40 degrees , pouring rain shot in the 170's.
We bought some aqt targets and practiced several times over this last year. We decided our old eyes needed some glass so this time we shot with scopes. My buddy shot his ruger 10/22 and I shot an ar-15 with a 22 upper.

We practiced the last weekend and my friend shot a 248, 244 and 230 something. He is very good. I shot in the 230's with one 240.
We shot the appleseed at the Toccoa Georgia range and the volunteers were a great bunch of guys. The history lessons were great and really got you thinking about liberty and the sacrifices made by our founding fathers.

My advice to anyone wanting to go to a appleseed is to get some aqt targets from Fred and get the riflemans guide and drill with it.

This has been a lot of work and practice but the rifleman patch is now attached to my range bag. In the words of GWB "mission accomplished".

NOOB
14th June 2010, 04:06 AM
I know! Now I feel like an ass for complaining about my one missing point. These guys had 17 and 23 EXTRA points!

Where were you able to practice, NOOB?

My friend is a member of a local outdoor gun club so we practiced there. We shoot different stuff but always rotated in the appleseed training.

NOOB
14th June 2010, 04:09 AM
I'd really like to go to my local appleseed shoot this year.

Questions?
Do most just bring .22's or would you bring your AR / AK?
Would you want a scoped rifle or are iron sights good? :dunno

Any insights beyond the FAQ on the appleseed website would be appreciated

Shoot what your comfortable with. I can't see well enough anymore for irons so I scoped up. A 22 is a good choice to learn with and practice the steps to firing a shot as much as you can.