PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan.

Ponce
13th June 2010, 11:21 PM
How STUPID does the US government think that people are???....they knew long ago that is was there but we had to make it look good for the Afghis, we probably found it with satellites.
==============================================

U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan.

Tyler Hicks/The New York Times
A bleak Ghazni Province seems to offer little, but a Pentagon study says it may have among the world’s largest deposits of lithium.

By JAMES RISEN
Published: June 13, 2010

WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

Notes from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and other areas of conflict in the post-9/11 era.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists. The Afghan government and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed, American officials said.

While it could take many years to develop a mining industry, the potential is so great that officials and executives in the industry believe it could attract heavy investment even before mines are profitable, providing the possibility of jobs that could distract from generations of war.

“There is stunning potential here,” Gen. David H. Petraeus, commander of the United States Central Command, said in an interview on Saturday. “There are a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant.”

The value of the newly discovered mineral deposits dwarfs the size of Afghanistan’s existing war-bedraggled economy, which is based largely on opium production and narcotics trafficking as well as aid from the United States and other industrialized countries. Afghanistan’s gross domestic product is only about $12 billion.

“This will become the backbone of the Afghan economy,” said Jalil Jumriany, an adviser to the Afghan minister of mines.

American and Afghan officials agreed to discuss the mineral discoveries at a difficult moment in the war in Afghanistan. The American-led offensive in Marja in southern Afghanistan has achieved only limited gains. Meanwhile, charges of corruption and favoritism continue to plague the Karzai government, and Mr. Karzai seems increasingly embittered toward the White House.

So the Obama administration is hungry for some positive news to come out of Afghanistan. Yet the American officials also recognize that the mineral discoveries will almost certainly have a double-edged impact.

Instead of bringing peace, the newfound mineral wealth could lead the Taliban to battle even more fiercely to regain control of the country.

The corruption that is already rampant in the Karzai government could also be amplified by the new wealth, particularly if a handful of well-connected oligarchs, some with personal ties to the president, gain control of the resources. Just last year, Afghanistan’s minister of mines was accused by American officials of accepting a $30 million bribe to award China the rights to develop its copper mine. The minister has since been replaced.

Endless fights could erupt between the central government in Kabul and provincial and tribal leaders in mineral-rich districts. Afghanistan has a national mining law, written with the help of advisers from the World Bank, but it has never faced a serious challenge.

“No one has tested that law; no one knows how it will stand up in a fight between the central government and the provinces,” observed Paul A. Brinkley, deputy undersecretary of defense for business and leader of the Pentagon team that discovered the deposits.

At the same time, American officials fear resource-hungry China will try to dominate the development of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth, which could upset the United States, given its heavy investment in the region. After winning the bid for its Aynak copper mine in Logar Province, China clearly wants more, American officials said.

Another complication is that because Afghanistan has never had much heavy industry before, it has little or no history of environmental protection either. “The big question is, can this be developed in a responsible way, in a way that is environmentally and socially responsible?” Mr. Brinkley said. “No one knows how this will work.”

With virtually no mining industry or infrastructure in place today, it will take decades for Afghanistan to exploit its mineral wealth fully. “This is a country that has no mining culture,” said Jack Medlin, a geologist in the United States Geological Survey’s international affairs program. “They’ve had some small artisanal mines, but now there could be some very, very large mines that will require more than just a gold pan.”

The mineral deposits are scattered throughout the country, including in the southern and eastern regions along the border with Pakistan that have had some of the most intense combat in the American-led war against the Taliban insurgency.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world/asia/14minerals.html?no_interstitial

iOWNme
14th June 2010, 07:12 AM
Another scam to create the illusion that God/Silver will depreciate?

Ponce
14th June 2010, 07:29 AM
I just read elsewhere that the locations of the minerals are "ALL OVER THE PLACE" and that they were also found by using Russians mineral maps from the time that they were there......meaning that they knew that the mineral was there all this time.

At one time I was wondering why were we fighting so hard to be in Afgha and now I (we) know.

A high Afgha government official was given 30 million dollars for the mineral rights by China.......he lost his post, expect China to get into the act.

Bigjon
14th June 2010, 01:33 PM
http://www.caseyresearch.com/displayCdd.php?id=455

Now, as any subscriber to our International Speculator service – which focuses on the best of the best small-cap mineral exploration companies -- probably already understands, this story is a case of gross overstatement and even outright deceit on the part of the U.S. government.
Here’s the quick take on the story from Louis James, the editor of Casey’s International Speculator…
The $1 trillion figure is totally bogus.
A "small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists" cannot possibly have drilled off these deposits, let alone done the engineering required to value them. At the very best, they've spotted some outcrops and taken some samples, and are circulating a gross metal value figure based on what can only be guesses as to the volume of potentially economic mineralization -- which no responsible geologist would do.
The soldier quoted says "there are a lot of ifs," but that does not excuse putting out the $1 trillion figure, a number that there is no reasonable way to support at this point.
This doesn't mean the minerals are not there – Afghanistan is known to have a good mineral endowment – but the government’s release sounds like the sort put out by Pink Sheet scammers. It will take time for any real discoveries to be made, especially given the time required to draft a workable mining law and for physical security to be established in the country.
So, why would the U.S. government release such a blatantly bogus figure? While solely conjecture on my part, it seems to me the intent is to show the citizenry of America and Afghanistan that the country has sufficient resources to somehow build a workable economy. Looked at in reverse, if the future of Afghanistan is as a permanent economic basket case – especially if we denude it of its number-one cash crop, poppies – then even in the best-case scenario the country stays one of the few remaining outposts of the 18th century, a backwater tribal society with no prospects of becoming anything more than another long-term recipient of foreign aid.
But one trillion dollars worth of metals! Well, now we have something to work with!
Seriously, such a blatant and disingenuous attempt at manipulating the minds of the masses is undignified and embarrassing. But then again, so is spending trillions of dollars fighting wars that should never have been fought in the first place.
Speaking of which, flying solo also allows me the opportunity to catch up on movies that my wife is not interested in watching. For instance, the Academy Award winning, The Hurt Locker, which I viewed over the weekend.
While I am not sure I would have given it the Best Picture nod, it was certainly suspenseful and even insightful as it follows the trials of a bomb squad working in Iraq. One of the more interesting aspects of the film was how, at the end, the director almost casually, yet quite effectively, makes it clear how hard it is for soldiers to return to a normal life after having spent time in the hyper-jumped-up and dangerous climes of an urban warfare setting.
War is hell -- always has been, always will be.
And with that, I will sign off for the day by stressing the point that if you really want to know the names of the small companies sitting on big piles of gold, silver, and other valuable minerals, you owe it to yourself to give the International Speculator a test drive. It’s not inexpensive, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth every penny. But no matter, if you don’t find it worth every penny, just cancel within 3 months and you’ll get all your money back. That’s the deal, and here’s the details.
Thanks for reading!

MAGNES
14th June 2010, 02:31 PM
http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/dyinginafghanistan.php

WHAT OUR CHILDREN ARE DYING FOR IN AFGHANISTAN

The Taliban had all but eradicated the opium growers before the US invasion. So why is cheap Afghani heroin flooding into the United States?

Low Price, High Potency Spike Heroin Deaths
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/21068822/detail.html

file:///D:/MIKE/WEB_DEVEL/WRH/IMAGES/_44614216_picgall7.jpg

file:///D:/MIKE/WEB_DEVEL/WRH/IMAGES/afghan_opium0430.jpg

Down1
14th June 2010, 02:44 PM
How STUPID does the US government think that people are???....they knew long ago that is was there but we had to make it look good for the Afghis, we probably found it with satellites.
==============================================

There is a line of thought that the US is terrified WikiLeaks has this info among all those cables they might have and was going to release it.
That is why it is being released now.

Ponce
14th June 2010, 04:56 PM
Well Down1, that's why I came up with the following........

"They tell us only what they want us to know, or what they cannot longer hide" ... Ponce

FreeEnergy
14th June 2010, 07:18 PM
ponce, either that, or the fat profits from heroin business is now too hard to hide, they are all over the small news sites and forums. People know. So this may be a cover-up to say - "see, it was minerals that all these (drug) money came from".

MAGNES
14th June 2010, 08:23 PM
ponce, either that, or the fat profits from heroin business is now too hard to hide, they are all over the small news sites and forums. People know. So this may be a cover-up to say - "see, it was minerals that all these (drug) money came from".

It's everything, Sassoon history, the criminals have been in the region
for centuries doing the same thing, nothing new really, everything is
a lie but you can cut through them lies, who distributes Afghan heroin ?
That war was a lie too, they put goons in charge in Kosovo, Albanians
fill Europes jails, all of it goes through Turkey into Europe. All NeoCon
crimes connected, even Clinton's NeoCons, Feith and Perle and Turkey
were a part of the program.

It is a war doctrine too, encircle enemies, deny your enemies and their
allies resources, take them for yourself or take them off line, it is still
all Israel and International Bankers who just happen to be the Oil Barons,
Rockefellers and Rothchilds, Standard Oil and BP. They raped Iran for oil
and Iraq, now doing the same with NeoCons 80 and 50 years later.
Take it offline, price goes up, steal it, steal resources, deny them to
your enemies and their allies, etc etc .

Dave Thomas
14th June 2010, 09:39 PM
I was listening to someone listening to NPR, and the talking heads claimed that the DoD was really hopeful this would stabilize the region.

Riiiiight.

Just like those oil contracts in Iraq I suppose.

People really have no goddamned idea what it's really all about.

Saul Mine
14th June 2010, 10:35 PM
They tried the same dumb trick during the Vietnam war, just before they finally gave up and quit.