PDA

View Full Version : Could the oil spill actually stop a hurricane?

Liquid
14th June 2010, 04:25 AM
I have a theory, and some questions, on the effects of a hurricane on the gulf at this moment, concerning the oil spill.

Firstoff, to follow my logic, consider the way the wind and sea interact. The wind has a 'grabbing' effect on the water. This is very apparant in glassy conditions. When the wind first blows over the water, little wavelettes start to form, and over time the seas build up. The conditions worsen given the forumla of time, wind speed, and fetch. Fetch is the nautical term for the size of the body of water in which the wind has this effect. The greater the fetch, the greater the seas.

In fact, in hurricane conditions, this grabbing effect creates conditions to where you can not even tell where the water line is, it's all spray and foam.

By deduction, you can look at the sea condition, and if you know the fetch, and the amount of time the wind has been blowing, you can roughly tell the windspeed...roughly. Such as white caps start to form at around 15 knots of wind. The forces of the wind are exponential, meaning that if you double the wind speed you quadruple the amount of force.

This is why you hear terms such as 'rounding the horn'..Cape Horn, in the southern hemisphere, or the term the 'roaring 40's' latitude 40, and even 50. This is the area that has the greatest fetch, as the wind blows from the east to the west, there's no land mass to stop it. It just circles the globe at that latitude and can create monsterous seas.

Anyway, old sailors had a technique for riding such storms. First, they shorten sail as the wind picks up, but over time, as conditions keep increasing, they may end up running with it under bare poles. The last technique, if the boat is still out of control, is to actually put oil in the water surrounding the boat.

The oil, on the surface of the water, acts like a lubricant. The wind grabs less of it, much like if you have two metal parts moving against each other, the friction will chafe them away..but add oil, and you don't have that problem. So, the seas around the boat calm down, less spray, less breaking waves, etc. This tactic is very effective. Creating an oil slick for the boat to sit in to lessen the effects of the wind.

Now, we have a uniques situation, a huge body of water hundreds of miles that is well lubricated with the oil spill.

So, in theory, if a hurricane passed over it. The sea conditions should be much less violent, than normal. This should lessen the impact on the coast than predicted.

The hurricane, if passed over the oil spill, would, ie should I say, have much less moisture than in normal sea conditions.

Furthermore, my question is, could the spill actually break up the hurricane? Hurricanes, my understanding, tend to break up once arriving on land, this could be due to land masses disrupting the wind, but could this also be due to less moisture content as well...ie, dry land. Could the oil spill create dry enough conditions to stop a hurricane?

still afloat
14th June 2010, 05:25 AM
Question is , could this oil volcano cause hurricanes to be even worse ?
Isn't water temp also an indication / cause for them to be more powerful and for them to even start in the first place?
Now , I'm only going on what I've seen in links and posts from here as I must have missed that day in school when they went over that, but the temp of the oil at the 5000 ft depth was reported to be @ 400 degrees. Will the millions of gallons of 400 degree oil over the many months of the hurricane season cause a rise in water temp thus increasing the possibility of and or intensity of a hurricane? I have not seen anyone mention this having an affect on gulf water temp yet , but to me sounds possible.

Cebu_4_2
14th June 2010, 06:24 AM
HARRP controls the weather/hurricanes, if there is any hurricanes to do with this oil volcano then it is clear that TPTB want it. Do your research folks, I am dead nuts on with this.

Sparky
14th June 2010, 10:11 AM
I think there are arguments in both direction.

In your example, if the wind is "grabbing" less ocean, that means it there is less surface friction to slow down development, which would actually increase the ferocity.

Hurricanes die over land due to both the elimination of energy source (warm water) and the increased friction over land.

My guess is that the oil slick will have little impact on hurricane development. If 50 million gallons of oil have spilled into the Gulf, that is about one ten millionth of the Gulf's volume, so it's hard to imagine any great warming influence. True, a larger surface area has been effected (in fractional terms), but again, it's not clear whether the impact will increase or decrease intensity. More importantly, the hurricane is more likely to impact the oil spill by dispersing it into the air.

StackerKen
14th June 2010, 10:46 AM
I saw a video where a reporter was stnding in some of the oil and he said it was hot. because it absorbed heat from the sun .

So if oil heats easier that water from the sun.....that gulf water might be warmer than usual this year....I dunno...just a wild guess

I think there were hurricanes long before HARRP was invented