PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! That's no cat!

BabushkaLady
14th June 2010, 04:20 PM
I think I have the only Labrador that hates water! It must have been something traumatic that happened to him when he was a puppy. You can't drag, push or pull this 85lb dog into a creek, lake, or tub. He doesn't even like walking on wet grass.

Yesterday, we just got around to our first shower of the year. It was a little over-due, but not too bad. I was so proud of him standing in the shower like a statue. Of course I know he was thinking evil thoughts about me as I scrubbed him down.

This morning we were outside, I was kind of watching him meander to some brambles. Next thing I know I saw what looked like a white/gray large cat. As soon as I saw the dog lurching for it, I knew it was a skunk. Big baby boy got sprayed full in the face!

I've had many dog/skunk incidents over the years. I used to have a black and white dog that always went for the skunks. I've tried tomato juice and all the home remedies.

The very best de-skunker I've found is Blue Mouth Wash. Pour, rub in, rinse. Douse a second round, don't rinse off. The mouth wash won't hurt the animal if they lick it. (a vet gave me this tip a while ago)

What luck! A second bath in two days!!! This time he wasn't going to let me drag him into the shower . . . I'm pulling and he's resisting. He must think I've lost my mind! O.K. outside for a little mouthwash shower it is!

k-os
14th June 2010, 05:15 PM
Funny story, BabushkaLady.

The fact that it removes skunk smell tells me a lot about blue mouthwash. ;D

ximmy
14th June 2010, 05:20 PM
so funny.. it's not hard to imagine the scenes of your struggle and poor doggie LOL

BabushkaLady
15th June 2010, 04:55 PM
so funny.. it's not hard to imagine the scenes of your struggle and poor doggie LOL

Poor doggie?!!! He's playing me! He must like the peppermint mouthwash. Last night around midnight he got sprayed again! I think it's the same skunk. We're going to take the camera out and shoot him. I'm plastering a Wanted picture above the dog food bowl! ;D