PDA

View Full Version : Does Soy Sauce Expire?

big country
14th June 2010, 06:14 PM
Does soy sauce expire?

I know salt is a natural preservative and that stuff sure is salty!! I ask because rice gets pretty boring when it is plain, we've got a few hundred pounds stored and I'd like a way to flavor it a little bit if the fan flings poo.

We go through soy sauce pretty quickly, a small bottle of kinkomans lasts us about 2 months around here. We eat a lot of rice and "Chinese" inspired meals.

I'm thinking about buying a case and putting it with the long term preps. Rotating is hard for us because we rent a small house and have no room for a "pantry" per say, we just stick food wherever there is an empty place. There is food in the bottom of our closets, under the bed, in the bathroom above the toilet in a cabinent, stacked to the ceiling in our "den", etc.

Would soy sauce store for 5-10 years or so in the bottle unopened?

BabushkaLady
14th June 2010, 06:18 PM
Can't say for sure, but I've never thrown any out! It should last very very long.

I like that it comes in glass containers. It really pissed me off when ketchup and mustard when into plastic!

BrewTech
14th June 2010, 06:23 PM
From what I've been able to find the shelf life unopened is 2 years.

Bottom Feeder
15th June 2010, 05:13 PM
Well, let me weigh in here because I have some practical experience. My wife is Asian so we use a bit of soy sauce.

Back before year 2000, while I was stocking up for the end of the world as we knew it my wife told me we could live on rice and soy sauce. (I don’t know about that). So we laid a five (yes 5) gallon bucket of soy sauce in.

We still have about two quarts of that left. Still tastes just fine. No special care was taken of it – just set in the bucket and filled into smaller container as needed.

bf

big country
15th June 2010, 05:40 PM
Awesome news bottom feeder. I figured it would be like that. I found a website that said it expired after 2 years (that also coincides with the expiration dates on the bottles at the store). I didn't think that was true. I figured they just put one on there because they have to. You'd think with all the salt content that it would be preserved pretty well.

Thanks. I'll have to look into ordering a case.

SLV^GLD
15th June 2010, 06:25 PM
Similar experience as bottom feeder but with an off the shelf 1 gallon can of kikkoman.
This was years ago but I do recall that can sat right inside our door and we ate from it for over 3 years.
We were also filling a smaller container.
Obviously, our rate of consumption was much lower.

TLM
16th June 2010, 07:14 PM
Soy sauce and texas pete hot sauce will out live you. ::)