PDA

View Full Version : Generic Silver from APMEX?

madfranks
16th June 2010, 08:19 AM
Anyone have experience buying generic silver (http://www.apmex.com/Product/156/Generic_Silver_999_Fine____As_low_as_049_over_spot .aspx) from APMEX? I've tried it a few times but have never gotten anything cool looking like they show in their stock photo. Anyone else here have any experience with this?

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/156_slab.jpg

BrewTech
16th June 2010, 09:02 AM
They always sent me junk bottom-of-the-barrel stuff, to be honest... This was way back, and at the time I didn't really care... at least I had some silver. Can't say what they would be sending out now, and I won't be finding out personally.

ETA: At least they tell you upfront, however, so it's not like they are misleading anyone:

Our choice of whatever we have in stock! Could be ugly, tarnished, off brand but guaranteed .999 fine or better!

Anyone buying should assume that's exactly what you are going to get... that's why it's cheaper.

TylerDurden
17th June 2010, 09:25 AM
I've gotten generic silver once from APMEX. I ended up getting a handful of random 1 oz rounds and 1 commemorative 3.1 oz coin. At the time I didn't really care because I was just happy to be adding to my stack, but I probably will never go that route again.

Defender
20th June 2010, 03:24 AM
My order of 1ozers was crap - didn't even look like silver.

My 10oz purchases have all been pretty good. Mostly have been recognizably named (J.M., Sunshine, APMEX, etc) bars in nice shiny condition.

I once got some Engelhards, old-style but not poured. They were a little bit toned and had a few scratches so probably couldn't be sold otherwise. I say they have character and are now some of my favorite silver pieces.

hallowendesh
31st January 2011, 06:43 AM
When I order from Apmex I purchase specific products. Not sure what you get with the lot of generics. But if I had to guess, and it is only a guess, I'd say the Round Buffalo.

MrSilverAG
31st January 2011, 09:34 PM
when ordering 10 oz "random" bars from Apmex I've received some NTR and some Apmex bars

madfranks
1st February 2011, 12:11 PM
Of the few times I've done it I've gotten some really random stuff, like holiday rounds and commemorative silver. Once I got some rounds that were in Spanish and some 10 gram bars in German. I like the exotic stuff you can't really find anywhere else, and for me it's like a gamble, you might get something good, might not. Once I got a one pound silver round of Bill Clinton, and I sold that as soon as spot price caught up to what I paid for it.

chad
1st February 2011, 02:55 PM
i just got some of this the other day. they sent me those little 1 ounce monarch sugar cube bars. kind of cool, actually.