PDA

View Full Version : Finally

Plastic
16th June 2010, 11:30 AM
Finally finished getting the garden in.

Had most of it finished 3 weeks ago but just dropped in more seeds for a staggered harvest. This bumps me up to...

Hills being 5 - 12 seeds in the same spot which I will later spread out after they come up.

30 zucchini plants with 40 remaining hills
25 butternut squash vines with 27 remaining hills
12 white patty-pan summer squash with 9 remaining hills.
125 row feet of non GM russett spuds which are doing nicely
200 row feet of white onions with and additional 100 feet of yellows
25 row feet of cabbages
25 row feet of broccoli
100 row feet of brussel sprouts (yumminess)
30 watermellon vines
25 canteloupe vines
25 tobasco pepper plants
25 cayanne pepper plants
25 habanero pepper plants
40 brandywine tomato plants
25 ace tomato plants (hybrids, will not save seed. Saved some from before only to get cherry tomatoes the following year)

All the squashes and watermellon are from saved seeds from last years heirloom plantings, I may have accidentally created my own hybrids but at least I know what the parent plants are (which they can and will revert to) so no complaints on my end.

Everything else except the ace tomato, spuds and onions are from purchased heirloom seed and they will definately get their seeds saved for propagation.

My dad accidentally plowed under last years turnips I had let go to seed and they had tons of pods!! (grrrrrrrrrr!!!) all those wonderful heirloom turnips... Glad I had extra seeds saved and will start over again next year (if we are not nuked to death).

ximmy
16th June 2010, 11:38 AM
wow!!!... how much space, land, acreage does it cover? any pics? :)

Plastic
16th June 2010, 11:45 AM
No pics as I do not have a camera, but so far it takes up about 1 and a half acres. When the extra vines come up it will prob go to 2 and a quarter. Just proving that even someone who is moderately disabled (very bad back) can still put in and maintain a large garden. Glad I have the time to take care of the thing, it is gonna get very labor intensive soon with all the rain helping those pesky weeds grow with my food crop.

EDIT:

Oh hell, forgot to mention the 40 cucumber vines which were also grown from saved heirloom seed. I plan to make an assload of spicey dill pickles this year (BURRRRRRRP!!).

StackerKen
16th June 2010, 11:52 AM
Wow is right.

That is a huge garden!
Sounds Nice

willie pete
16th June 2010, 11:53 AM
No pics as I do not have a camera, but so far it takes up about 1 and a half acres. When the extra vines come up it will prob go to 2 and a quarter. Just proving that even someone who is moderately disabled (very bad back) can still put in and maintain a large garden. Glad I have the time to take care of the thing, it is gonna get very labor intensive soon with all the rain helping those pesky weeds grow with my food crop.

Sounds great, curious to know what part of the country your in.....here in South Florida, it's not the time to be planting anything, it'd burn up :D

,,,oh and I love spicy Dills... ;D

Plastic
16th June 2010, 11:55 AM
Sounds great, curious to know what part of the country your in.....here in South Florida, it's not the time to be planting anything, it'd burn up :D

LOL! Northern Indiana, it has been hot here but also with alot of cloud cover and plenty of rain.

willie pete
16th June 2010, 11:57 AM

LOL! Northern Indiana, it has been hot here but also with alot of cloud cover and plenty of rain.

Oh man, I can remember when I was a kid, my dad brought home some melons (cantelopes) said they were from IN, they were big as bowling balls and delicious :D

Plastic
16th June 2010, 12:04 PM
These cantaloupes grow to normal size too, however my cat demands (not begs, but DEMANDS) half. Albert (Einstein) the cat loves cantaloupe even more than tuna............. The crazy bastard will gorge himself on mellon...

willie pete
16th June 2010, 12:12 PM
These cantaloupes grow to normal size too, however my cat demands (not begs, but DEMANDS) half. Albert (Einstein) the cat loves cantaloupe even more than tuna............. The crazy bastard will gorge himself on mellon...

Never heard of a cat eating melon... :D we used to have a cat that ate almost everykind of vegtable we ate; corn, green beans etc..., but I have a feeling it was the seasoning (bacon) on them that persuaded him to do so, he was a cat's cat too, big old Tom, reminded me of a John Wayne type, go after anything, and he'd catch any rat, mouse, bird, squirrel around

willie pete
16th June 2010, 12:15 PM

Oh Northern Indiana? so you must be in Gary then..... :D :D

Plastic
16th June 2010, 12:17 PM
YUK!! Not that far north, near Plymouth which is roughly 20 miles south of South Bend.

BTW Albert likes corn too, but with butter and salt. :P

Needless to say he does'nt get it very often. Not too worried about him getting fat, he is still partially feral and spends lots of time outside harrassing birds and rabbits.

ximmy
16th June 2010, 12:21 PM

Gary... I drove past there once and thought I was on Mars... in it's later days... after the Martians depleted the planet... ;D

willie pete
16th June 2010, 12:27 PM

Gary... I drove past there once and thought I was on Mars... in it's later days... after the Martians depleted the planet... ;D

Yea ...Gary/Mogadishu Indiana :D

Plastic
16th June 2010, 12:28 PM
No doubt about it, Gary is the unwashed rotten crotch of Indiana.

Korbin Dallas
16th June 2010, 05:36 PM
Damn impressive!

MNeagle
16th June 2010, 05:39 PM
Wow, you manage that all by yourself?? Very impressive indeed!

gunDriller
17th June 2010, 11:53 AM
Jeez that is a lot !

that could keep you busy full time.

got any garden lizards running around eating bugs ?

Plastic
17th June 2010, 12:38 PM
My question is...........What are you going to do with it all?

Do you sale at a farmers market? Do you have a dehydrator?

I am still eating on some of my frozen Zucchini bread from last year and I only had about 6 squash plants.

I have a 9 tray dehydrator that will be worked like a dog. I was thinking about making mass amounts of zucchini bread but attempt to do a "cake in a jar" type experiment, regardless of that much zucchini bread shall be made. :)

Jeez that is a lot !

Keeps me busy about 3 hours a day which is "survivable" heh, no garden lizzards at this time.

Large Sarge
19th June 2010, 01:37 AM
Jeez that is a lot !

N. Indiana is a little to far north (aactually a lot far north) for any lizards, me thinks

you might want to try and get some praying mantises

a number of companies sell the egg cases online, 2-4 hundred baby praying mantises per egg case, very inexpensive. (hatch in 2-3 weeks, just leave them outside)

I have done that.

they also sell lady bugs, if you get aphid problems

Plastic
19th June 2010, 07:19 AM
OOO!! Thanks Sarge, I am gonna go find them online this coming week and make a purchase.