PDA

View Full Version : Ka-Bar "Phat Bob" Folding Knife (Model KA-4082)

Gaillo
16th June 2010, 04:50 PM
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm somewhat of a knife nut... and flashlight nut, gun nut, merc-dime nut, gear-nut... you get the idea. Somewhat of an all-around nut! ;D

Anyway, I probably own somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 various knives, swords, axes, and other cutting implements. Excessive? No doubt. Enjoyable? Most definitely!

My latest acquisition is a folding knife, and is somewhat of a unique piece in my collection. It is the Ka-Bar knife company "Phat Bob" (model KA-4082) based on a Bob Dozier design. For those who know who Bob Dozier is, he needs no introduction and is among the best known custom knife makers in the world. I have the incredible privilege of owning one of his custom knives, which I paid in the neighborhood of $400 to obtain several years ago, and let me tell you... the guy produces MASTERFUL works of absolute functional art and beauty! This is at least part of the reason that I was attracted to the "Phat Bob" folder when I first saw it in a knife magazine - the other reason being that the knife scales are Micarta.

I currently own no folding knives with Micarta scales, although it is my favorite material BAR NONE for fixed blades. It is grippy when wet, durable, looks good, waterproof, and is more impact resistant than most other scale materials. Why don't I own any folding knives with Micarta scales? My only answer is that, up until the Phat Bob, there were almost no mass-production folders available (at least that I'm aware of) that use Micarta as a handle material. When I saw the Phat Bob, I knew I had to obtain one... it is based on a design from my favorite custom knife maker, it has micarta scales, and with a MSRP of $70 (actually available for about half that if you shop around), it is also affordable.

I obtained my Phat Bob yesterday. The very first thing I do when I get a new folder is to disassemble it completely, clean and oil it, then restore all the screws with a little blue (removeable) loc-tite. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Phat Bob comes from the factory ALREADY loc-tited with blue loc-tite... a HUGE thumbs up for that little detail!

Out of the box, the Phat Bob's micarta scales are somewhat shiny and slick, a texture that I do NOT like in micarta. However, a bit of 120 grit sandpaper and 15 minutes of work (with the scales disassembled, making it easier), I was able to obtain the type of semi-rough micarta finish that I'm more accustomed to dealing with.

The knife feels REALLY good in my hand, has a wonderful thumb rest on the spine of the blade, and my example is so tight mechanically that it rivals high-end blade companies like Benchmade for fit/finish. The liner lock mechanism is just plain SOLID! It opens a little stiff, but that's to be expected from pretty much ANY out-of-the-box folder fresh from the factory.

The blade material is AUS-8A, hardened to RC59. This is roughly equivalent to 440C stainless in alloy composition, a tried and true stainless that has been used for dozens of years for cutlery purposes. Sure, it's not "fancy whiz-bang" modern stainless like S30V, but the average user, for the typical uses a folder will be put through, will be hard-pressed to tell the difference. Out of the box, this thing is SHARP - with a serious, all-caps SHARP!! You can literally use it as a straight-razor right out of the package.

I haven't cut much with it yet... other than a few test cuts in twigs, opening a cardboard box, and slicing some peppers for last night's dinner. It has performed perfectly for those few tasks I've set it to, so I'm quite happy with its performance so far.

The knife can be configured for left-handed users, as the clip is removeable and the scales and handle are drilled and tapped to install it on the other side.

Overall, I give this knife a 95 out of 100, and expect it will be my main carry knife for at least the next month or so (replacing my aging Benchmade 710). I only detract points because of the initial "slick" micarta finish (which, as I've stated, can be remedied with some sandpaper and a little work) and the blade steel material (which I would personally prefer be D2 or some other high-carbon non stainless... I'm not much of a fan of stainless steels for my knives).

Available from: Just about any Ka-Bar knife dealer
Price: Varies, from $40 to $70, depending on supplier

Here is the knife next to a full-size BIC lighter for size comparison:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7248.0;attach=2503 ;image

Here is the knife closed, thumb-stud side:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7248.0;attach=2507 ;image

Here is the knife closed, pocket-clip side:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7248.0;attach=2506 ;image

Here is the knife opened, thumb-stud side:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7248.0;attach=2505 ;image

Here is the knife opened, pocket-clip side:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7248.0;attach=2504 ;image

Here is a spine-view of the knife, looking at the top and thumb rest:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7248.0;attach=2511 ;image

Here is an end-view of the knife, looking at the blade and locking mechanism:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7248.0;attach=2510 ;image

Gaillo
24th July 2010, 12:31 AM
Update:
I've been carrying this knife as my EDC since I wrote the above review (over a month now!), and I find that I'm liking this knife more and more as time goes on. The "Phat Bob" has proven itself as a durable, reliable, sharp, ergonomic, and all-around excellent folding knife. It has performed every task I've set it to with distinction. I've done everything from cutting vegetables to trimming steaks, opening packages, cutting cordage and tubing, and even large electrical cables with this knife and it just keeps on asking for more! At this point, I still have the occasional thought of going back to my Benchmade 710 (mostly due to its superior "AXIS" locking mechanism), but the Phat Bob just keeps on surprising me with it's excellent utility, ergonomics, and durability.

Consistent with my philosophy that if you find something you like you should buy a spare while it's available, I ordered another "Phat Bob" folder 4 days ago. It arrived today. I'll be sanding/blue-locktighting it, then oiling and ziplocking it tomorrow to prepare it for long-term storage.

Glass
24th July 2010, 05:12 AM
Those kind of folders are nice for one handed operation. I have a pacific cutlery folder with the same lock mechanism. The knifes a kind of no brander, maybe small brand is better description. One handed operation is great, left or right, I can have the thing ready to go well before I'm leaning into the threat. Cardboard boxes stand no chance when faced with my blade of justice. hhehe.

JohnQPublic
8th August 2010, 07:54 PM
I just picked up a Buck 318 and a 316 for $15 (for both). The packages were opened so Big 5 put them on sale (normally $44.95). These are made in China (I found out when I got them home), but they are pretty nice knives. There is some controversy about 420HC (HRC 58, Buck heat treat), but it is not a bad deal for $15 bucks (no pun intended, or was it?). I was not looking for a knife (soccer shoes and balls for the kids), but when I saw this I thought I would take the chance.

http://www.sunandski.com/v/vspfiles/photos/9315051620800-2T.jpg

zap
8th August 2010, 08:38 PM
Here's some knives, I don't know anything about them, my late husband was a nut knife collector.

Gaillo
8th August 2010, 10:53 PM
Here's some knives, I don't know anything about them, my late husband was a nut knife collector.

I recognize quite a few knives in that photo.
Do NOT let anyone rip you off for that collection - some of those knives are worth over $100... USED...
Find out what you can about each knife before selling, if that's your intention. If you plan on keeping them, then nice start on a collection! ;D

zap
9th August 2010, 09:32 AM
Gaillo

Thankyou for the info, I don't plan on selling any, I have them locked away in the safe.

G2Rad
9th August 2010, 11:40 AM
marked on the picture are my favorite pocket EDC knives.

they are called "Buck Vantage Pro" and made out of S30V alloy (and G10 handle ).

great gent's knife

I like that those can be snapped opened in a split of a second either with index finger or with a thumb.

when in woods I use it's pocket clip, which allows for very quick deployment if there is a need.

great performing blade

Saul Mine
9th August 2010, 07:27 PM
Swiss Army Shovel

http://i35.tinypic.com/2e69f6a.jpg

willie pete
9th August 2010, 08:29 PM

Bottom right, I see 2 cold Steels, on the left looks to be a "Recon Scout" on the right an " SRK" great knives, I like mine a lot, also may be a couple Ken Onions in the mix

TheNocturnalEgyptian
14th August 2010, 02:50 PM
Right-most blade appears to be a Malaysian Khukri.

Awoke
30th April 2011, 04:18 AM
Amazon.com has these Phat Bobs for $37.99!!

Gaillo
30th April 2011, 12:42 PM
Amazon.com has these Phat Bobs for $37.99!!

It's a great knife... easily worth twice that. I wouldn't even HESITATE to buy one at that price - if I didn't already have a pair and a spare of them already purchased! ;D

If you buy one, just be sure to do what I did... remove the scales and sand them with 120 grit sandpaper to get rid of the shiny "slick-ness" that comes from the factory, slick smoothness defeats half the purpose of Micarta.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
6th May 2011, 07:57 PM
That is a seriously attractive knife. I'm considering picking it up very soon.

SLV^GLD
7th May 2011, 07:39 AM
Thankyou for the info, I don't plan on selling any, I have them locked away in the safe.

Inspect them from time time and keep them oiled and maintained or you may as well call the safe a tomb.

solid
7th May 2011, 09:01 AM
That is a seriously attractive knife. I'm considering picking it up very soon.

I just ordered one. I intend to use it as my primary work knife. There's 3 things we always carry on us at work...a flashlight, a knife, and black electrical tape. The old-timers tell us always have a knife, that a knife will save your life one day, and they have stories to back that up!

Gaillo, thanks for this review.

SLV^GLD
7th May 2011, 10:15 AM
I carry a knife as surely as I wear underwear. It's just the way I was raised. Carried a knife every day of my life since age 5 or so. I think the taze you, expell you and drug you if you go to school with one now.

solid
15th May 2011, 10:09 AM
I just got my Phat Bob knife in today..and wow, this is a nice knife! It is so sharp, you could shave with it. In fact, I intend to give that a try. I did shave some hair off of my arm as a test, took it right off with ease.

I am also very impressed with the quality of this knife, and almost hesitate to use it as a work knife. However, at the price, I'll be ordering another one soon anyway.

Thanks again for this review, Gaillo. I could not be happier with this knife, it's an instant favorite

freespirit
4th September 2011, 09:21 AM
just noticed something peculiar...when i had originally viewed this thread,(prior to the switch to VBulletin,) i was able to see all the pics gaillo had posted, as well as the pic zap had posted, but now i only get little blue boxes w/question marks inside them, and the pic zap had posted isn't there anymore...any ideas?? i guess it's possible zap deleted her pic, but how come i can't view the images gaillo posted?

TheNocturnalEgyptian
19th September 2011, 04:58 PM
just noticed something peculiar...when i had originally viewed this thread,(prior to the switch to VBulletin,) i was able to see all the pics gaillo had posted, as well as the pic zap had posted, but now i only get little blue boxes w/question marks inside them, and the pic zap had posted isn't there anymore...any ideas?? i guess it's possible zap deleted her pic, but how come i can't view the images gaillo posted?

What's going on in *this* case is that the link is no longer valid, this code: [-img]http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7248.0;attach=2511 ;image[/img-] doesn't go anywhere.

But there's this other thing that happens is the img resize code from the old board.

The old board had a feature where it automatically appended the code if it had to resize (shrink) a photo.

Anyway that code looked like http://i.imgur.com/dltAQ.jpg - this would get added on if you posted an image deemed too large. The modern board doesn't see this code. No width/height tags are in use anymore.

If there was a vote, I'd vote for a MUCH larger image field. 3,000 x 3,000 pixels ought to do it. Having something like 800 x 1000 for pictures sucks. It skews some photos at times, especially those with writing, if the base picture is of the wrong proportions.

Tell your friends.

P.S. I purchased this knife and it's great, holds an edge sharp enough to shave with, very well made.