PDA

View Full Version : The Road

DMac
18th June 2010, 06:17 AM
I watched the movie The Road last night. Pretty scary but pretty well made overall.

That was one hell of a SHTF scenario. An "unknown cataclysm" leaves the US basically a barren desert.

It really made me appreciate:
1. My berkey filter
2. The need to stock up on even more food
3. The importance of good, long lasting hiking boots
4. The importance of never losing your morality, regardless how tough it gets

Anyone else see it? Any lessons learned from watching TSHTF?

k-os
18th June 2010, 06:20 AM
What I learned . . . buy more ammo. And I did.

I thought the book was better, but I guess everyone says that about books vs. movies.

sirgonzo420
18th June 2010, 06:25 AM
I learned that my will to live might not be that strong after 10 years (or however long after TSHTF the movie takes place) of living in a post-apocalyptic nightmare.

I just DON'T give that much of a shit to stick around with a future so bleak.

Why go on living really? Just to "survive"?

Piss on that.

the riot act
18th June 2010, 06:30 AM
I learned that my will to live might not be that strong after 10 years (or however long after TSHTF the movie takes place) of living in a post-apocalyptic nightmare.

I just DON'T give that much of a sh*t to stick around with a future so bleak.

Why go on living really? Just to "survive"?

Piss on that.

Agreed. The wife made it to the end of the book, I made it about 5 chapters and said, "What for?" I'm with you sirgonzo420.http://www.the3006cafe.org/forum/Smileys/classic/smokin.gif

undgrd
18th June 2010, 06:31 AM
That movie made me realize gold/silver will useless under those conditions. I've stopped buying PM's for now and have moved on to more supplies.

SHTF2010
18th June 2010, 06:48 AM
That movie made me realize gold/silver will useless under those conditions. I've stopped buying PM's for now and have moved on to more supplies .

BINGO

i haven't bought any SILVER for 1.5 years

FOOD, PREPS, and other stuff

The Road > excellent book/movie

i'm reallly surprised by how much " The Road ' has affected me

after reading/seeing The Road, i've adapted a " worst case scenario " mindset
and then allow myself to think positive after that :sun:

i'm always keeping an eye out for substitutes for the shopping cart

http://www.wcmessenger.com/blogs/shelfspace/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/the-road-still-5.jpg

undgrd
18th June 2010, 07:04 AM
Truth be told, I'm a pretty level headed individual and pretty calm during high stress situations.

That movie scared me

DMac
18th June 2010, 07:07 AM
Truth be told, I'm a pretty level headed individual and pretty calm during high stress situations.

That movie scared me

The amount of cannibalism was a rude awakening of sorts for me. I've joked in the past how I would do what I needed to do to survive, but watching it in the movie really made me second guess that thought.

undgrd
18th June 2010, 07:11 AM
The scene where he's watching that women and daughter be run down and helpless to do anything really got to me.

SHTF2010
18th June 2010, 07:17 AM
some of the movie scenes described above makes one think

what would i do . . . . . . . to survive

rurounikitsune
18th June 2010, 07:21 AM
Life is precious.

I think I would have a harder time laying down to die, than fighting for life.

I have not seen it, but it sounds like this movie/book was designed to convey a sense of hopelessness.

Don't lose hope because of a movie. Prepare, but don't worry. Face trouble one day at a time.

sirgonzo420
18th June 2010, 07:49 AM
some of the movie scenes described above makes one think

what would i do . . . . . . . to survive

The movie made me think "why would I want to survive" in such an utterly hopeless situation.

I think there comes a point where "survival" is for those who fear death.

If there is nothing positive to live for, then one is only "surviving" to delay death.

Liquid
18th June 2010, 08:45 AM
Life is precious.

I think I would have a harder time laying down to die, than fighting for life.

I have not seen it, but it sounds like this movie/book was designed to convey a sense of hopelessness.

Don't lose hope because of a movie. Prepare, but don't worry. Face trouble one day at a time.

This.

Instead of lying down and dying, I'd rather go out with a bang. Face one day at a time. If it gets that bad, I'm going to find a sandy beach in some beautiful secluded island. I'd rather push my shopping cart wearing board shorts and flip flops, soaking in the sun.. Take the occassional guitar break, sip island rum.

Thanks for the reminder, folks, saw the movie, but need to read the book.

Ponce
18th June 2010, 08:51 AM
sirgonzo? to me that's the part that I would enjoy........the challenge to keep on living is what makes a real survivalist.........being a survivalist with everything that you need at hand is not being a survivalist but simply someone who is prepared.

For someone just getting into the game the movie was OK but I found many stupid mistakes that I don't agreed with.........like moving out of the house where they had all that they needed.

Cebu_4_2
18th June 2010, 10:17 AM
sirgonzo? to me that's the part that I would enjoy........the challenge to keep on living is what makes a real survivalist.........being a survivalist with everything that you need at hand is not being a survivalist but simply someone who is prepared.

For someone just getting into the game the movie was OK but I found many stupid mistakes that I don't agreed with.........like moving out of the house where they had all that they needed.

The dog spooked him and I think he was afraid that someone had tracked him. He probably didn't want to end up in that cellar and moved on.

I stopped watching these types of movies, leaves too much on my mind to think positive.

old steel
18th June 2010, 10:34 AM
Great movie to watch you can always pick up some knowledge off a movie like this, something you didn't think of like how money and even PM's will be worthless when there is not enough to eat.

Shelter, food, water and the means to protect them and yourself and you're way ahead of the game.

Ponce
18th June 2010, 10:36 AM
old steel? I could say a few thing about what you wrote.....but I'd better say nothing.

Quantum
18th June 2010, 11:06 AM
"The Road" portrays a world that is totally unrealistic. What exactly happened? Not a nuclear war. Biowar? An unrealistic background ruins a movie for me.

If you want a realistic and extremely bleak flick, watch the old "Threads" movie from the '80s. It's the British version of "The Day After."

zusn
18th June 2010, 11:09 AM
I guess I didn't understand the background as to what happened that caused the horrible situation. It seemed that everywhere was void of the simplest life forms. I'm sure the book explains what exactly happened better than the movie. Then again, I may have dozed off during parts of it, so I could have missed something.

The only part I liked was the underground shelter. That thing was awesome! I love below ground living places.

Every time there was potential danger and the dude would stick a gun to his kid's head got old after the 15th time.

If the world was as destroyed as I imagined it was in that movie, then I see no reason to even try to live.

DMac
18th June 2010, 11:10 AM
"The Road" portrays a world that is totally unrealistic. What exactly happened? Not a nuclear war. Biowar? An unrealistic background ruins a movie for me.

If you want a realistic and extremely bleak flick, watch the old "Threads" movie from the '80s. It's the British version of "The Day After."

I figured it was a super volcano eruption - gray skies, massive die off of flora/fauna and what looked like giant tsunamis.

LuckyStrike
6th July 2010, 07:41 PM
So am I the only one who hated both book and movie?

I think it's just the author since No Country For Old Men was the same, when I heard about it I'm like that movie has promise, but in the book and movie, the characters had no depth. I got to a point where I was like why am I even watching this. It has no point.

I'll admit I'm a pretty hard critic for movies and books but I really don't score this one well.

3 out of 10 for book and movie.

the riot act
7th July 2010, 05:47 AM

I think it's just the author since No Country For Old Men was the same, when I heard about it I'm like that movie has promise, but in the book and movie, the characters had no depth. I got to a point where I was like why am I even watching this. It has no point.

I'll admit I'm a pretty hard critic for movies and books but I really don't score this one well.

No you are not alone. I read the first 100 pages then tossed it into the fire. It had no story, it was going nowhere, so it couldn't hold my interest.

Never saw the movie and doubt that I will.

k-os
7th July 2010, 06:07 AM

You are right that the character development was severely lacking. I didn't feel much for the main characters. They were basically strangers, but I think that was part of the idea as well. They could be anyone, and it was the circumstances that were the subjects of the book, not the characters.

I also could not get through No Country for Old Men, and I thought the movie was pointless.

Libertarian_Guard
7th July 2010, 06:32 AM
I enjoyed No Country for Old Men. I liked the story it told and the narration as well, although the ending was missing something. The Spanish actor that played the sicko won best actor. I'm not saying I agree with the award, but someone took notice.

The Road was a bleak story. It was dark and cold, and you weren't meant to come away feeling good about it, but perhaps feeling good about being light years away from any resemblance of it!

Eyebone
7th July 2010, 10:26 AM
I think the main object in the story was his instinct to protect his son and give a chance to the next generation.

Libertarian_Guard
7th July 2010, 02:29 PM
I think the main object in the story was his instinct to protect his son and give a chance to the next generation.

Well yes. If there was a 'redemption' to the film, that was it. As the new group that the kid joined up with had a little girl that was about his age. It sent a message, that there was a possibility of a future.

Lets just hope that there will not be a sequel to this! I don't think "The Road II" would be any less depressing.

Half Sense
8th July 2010, 07:29 AM
I thought "The Road" was a horrible book. No character development. No back story. No reason for the reader to care about anyone or anything. Simplistic and stupid dialog. Completely unrealistic situations. Yeah, let's push a shopping cart across the country. Those 2" wheels are great for rolling through debris.

And, when we find a beautiful underground stash of food, shelter, heat, we will abandon it because WE MIGHT BE DISCOVERED. Instead we'll walk down the middle of the Interstate highway. That should keep us safe.

Book
8th July 2010, 08:03 AM
You are right that the character development was severely lacking. I didn't feel much for the main characters. They were basically strangers, but I think that was part of the idea as well. They could be anyone, and it was the circumstances that were the subjects of the book, not the characters.

I also could not get through No Country for Old Men, and I thought the movie was pointless.

Being able to identify with the protagonist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protagonist) while watching a movie is necessary. That's why guys seldom watch chick flicks or why adults seldom watch Family films. In this instance, both The Road and No Country for Old Men offer up NO protagonists with which we can identify. In both films the real protagonists are human monsters. People we don't want to know. People our parents told us to avoid. I imagine that the people who love and enjoy Horror movies would rate both films high. Their version of Lassie or Rin Tin Tin or Old Yeller might be:

http://republika.pl/blog_ib_4238425/5961166/sz/hiena.jpg

Neither movie had a Hero protagonist.

:o

Phoenix
9th July 2010, 08:06 PM
The Road presents a scenario where no one in their right mind would want to survive. A world without "green" is no world at all.

muffin
11th July 2010, 03:44 PM
Yep. I agree that I wouldn't want to survive in a world like that. I was really dissapointed with the movie. Didn't read the book. Probably won't now.

I like The Book of Eli better. Went to the movies with my mom and some other family members to see it. Most of them are head-in-the-sand type. At the end of the movie, my mom asks me "Makes you wanna read the Bible more huh?" I replied, honestly, "No, it makes me want to stock up on more water...". Sorry mom :(

Also, we just watched The Crazies. It's more of a beginning of the SHTF scenario. It scared me not so much with the zombies but how they became the zombies and how the military reacted. Hits waaaay to close to the truth. I went to the movies with my sister (whom I'm trying to wake up) to see this one. I had her pretty scared afterwards with how this could definitely (and more than likely will) happen.....

sirgonzo420
12th July 2010, 05:55 AM
The Road presents a scenario where no one in their right mind would want to survive. A world without "green" is no world at all.

eggggg zackly

chad
13th July 2010, 08:21 PM
suspension of disbelief. it's a book.

Libertarian_Guard
14th July 2010, 01:23 AM
suspension of disbelief. it's a book.

Chad

I think what you meant to say here was "a willing suspension of our disbelief"

I say this because, even when we're aware that a story is fictional, we (or some of us) have our limits to what we're willing to accept, within our own psyche as having any possibility, logic or believability. And once a story or setting takes us beyond all rational, we sometimes tune it out.

Knowing or unknowingly, I applied this with staged wrestling and ninja movies that defy gravity. From the onset, I knew both were fictional entertainment, but at a very early stage, I lost interest in this nonsense.

By the same token I can't stay with a 'chopper' type of horror film either, my disbelief here gets stretched to it's maximum and I quickly lose interest in following the plot.

Movie directors must know all this, and for the most part they stay within certain bounds, at least for most of their work.

jetgraphics
14th July 2010, 02:16 AM
I tried to watch "The Road"... but I balked.

BUT
Wise Ant saith - store up a surplus for the "cold winter" - and hide it from the Gestapo grasshoppers who will take it away.

1970 silver art
14th July 2010, 03:35 AM
"The Road" movies sounds very interesting. I think that I will see that movie. I do not know how I missed that movie but I will see it eventually.

gunDriller
15th July 2010, 11:33 AM
i think it's a good skill to acquire (being comfortable homeless), whether you have the benefit of a car to sleep in or something more feral.

i also notice that after something like that, hot & cold running water seems like a much nicer luxury.

DMac
15th July 2010, 11:35 AM
Yep. I agree that I wouldn't want to survive in a world like that. I was really dissapointed with the movie. Didn't read the book. Probably won't now.

I like The Book of Eli better. Went to the movies with my mom and some other family members to see it. Most of them are head-in-the-sand type. At the end of the movie, my mom asks me "Makes you wanna read the Bible more huh?" I replied, honestly, "No, it makes me want to stock up on more water...". Sorry mom :(

Also, we just watched The Crazies. It's more of a beginning of the SHTF scenario. It scared me not so much with the zombies but how they became the zombies and how the military reacted. Hits waaaay to close to the truth. I went to the movies with my sister (whom I'm trying to wake up) to see this one. I had her pretty scared afterwards with how this could definitely (and more than likely will) happen.....

The Book of Eli was interesting. It always cracks me up how Hollywood follows a particular meme from time to time. There is so much conditioning going on in movies, in particular ones that are effective at stirring emotions. It seems armageddon is going to turn most everyone into cannibals in a few years is the current psychological projection in use.

I was not happy with the end of Eli, but I don't want to spoil it for others by discussing what I found disturbing.

Book
15th July 2010, 11:44 AM
i think it's a good skill to acquire (being comfortable homeless), whether you have the benefit of a car to sleep in or something more feral.

i also notice that after something like that, hot & cold running water seems like a much nicer luxury.

http://www.michigan.gov/images/msi/3420-Jockey-Short-web_199330_7.gif

I agree. Seriously. Anyone can stay at the local "Homeless Shelter" for a night or two to get the experience vicariously. They hand out laundered free donated clothing but nobody ever sees free socks without holes or underpants without skidmarks...lol.

:D

Liquid
15th July 2010, 11:53 AM

I think that's one of the biggest points of the movie. That's why he was travelling, that's why he and his son left that bunker with all that food. To find "green". They made it to the ocean. Personally, I'd just keep searching, follow the ocean south. At least the weather would get warmer.

Book
15th July 2010, 12:02 PM
I think that's one of the biggest points of the movie.

http://escoberphoto.com/katmai_pics/1335_KATMAI.jpg

A childless man would not rationally continue on in that gloomy-doomy dead-end existence portrayed in The Road. This movie is about the meaning of true Fatherhood. Passing on his genes to the next generation. The very meaning of Life for all species.

:)

Phoenix
15th July 2010, 02:33 PM
I think that's one of the biggest points of the movie.

http://escoberphoto.com/katmai_pics/1335_KATMAI.jpg

A childless man would not rationally continue on in that gloomy-doomy dead-end existence portrayed in The Road. This movie is about the meaning of true Fatherhood. Passing on his genes to the next generation. The very meaning of Life for all species.

:)

A father who contemplated "mercy killing" in such a HOPELESS scenario would hardly be irrational or inhumane. In fact, the contrary. Humans are different than other creatures in that they can visualize the future. And in The Road there is no future. Not "life," but mere existence.

Book
15th July 2010, 04:47 PM
And in The Road there is no future. Not "life," but mere existence.

At the end of that movie a nice family with children take in the boy.

:oo-->

Liquid
15th July 2010, 05:07 PM

Way to go Book, spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it. ;D

I agree, it's about fatherhood, but disagree that a childless man would not rationally continue. What about the canabals? I think that scene where they chase down a mother/daughter infuriates quite a few. As a childless man myself, I'd probably do what I could to protect the innocent on my search for greener pastures.

As long as you are alive, there's no excuse for giving up.

Phoenix
16th July 2010, 11:00 AM

The walking dead take in the boy. A healthy nuclear family was an anomaly in the movie.

sirgonzo420
16th July 2010, 01:12 PM

My mind rejected the implied happy ending of the movie.

The "family" ate the boy after the credits rolled.

Libertarian_Guard
17th July 2010, 03:20 AM

I see your point Sirgonzo.

You've reminded me of "The Wizard of Oz" because I never bought into the happy ending whereby the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion benevolently ruled over Oz. Those power hungry bastards would have enslaved the whole lot, Munchkins and all!

Book
17th July 2010, 07:40 AM

I see your point Sirgonzo.

You've reminded me of "The Wizard of Oz" because I never bought into the happy ending whereby the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion benevolently ruled over Oz. Those power hungry bastards would have enslaved the whole lot, Munchkins and all!

http://www.knib.org/images/classroom.jpg

On a deeper level this could be the makings of a profound philosophical debate. Most people are brainwashed by TPTB to live a deluded life. The meatshield Marine who thinks he is a hero fighting for Freedom. The loyal party Voter who decides between two pre-selected tools of their masters. The Taxpayer who files his income tax return every April. The Believer who faithfully pays his tithe every Sunday.

This world is ruled via instilled Naivete.

:o

philo beddoe
17th July 2010, 07:54 AM
Maybe 'The Road' is just propaganda to show us there is no life after a central government. Maybe they know that thriving independent WHITE communities will pop up all over the place.

Book
17th July 2010, 08:09 AM
Maybe 'The Road' is just propaganda to show us there is no life after a central government.

http://www.danielliss.com/gsts/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Unleash-The-Power-Robbins-feature.jpg

http://www.drug3k.com/img2/prozac_10532_4_%28big%29_.jpg

I goes deeper than that. TPTB get rich selling us cures for despair. Despair is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Book
17th July 2010, 08:10 AM
http://ttoes.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/obama-hope.jpg

Hope is a product.

DMac
17th July 2010, 08:40 AM
Exactly Book. Create despair and sell hope. A nice racket if you got in early >:(

Not only were there propaganda elements regarding the need of a central government (as Philo said), but I also think the choice of race for the characters in the movie was not accidental in the slightest. Once again, white folks are portrayed negatively (cannibals for crying out loud!).

The same goes for The Book of Eli. (more cannibals!)

There is a lot of programming going on in both of these films.

MNeagle
17th July 2010, 08:49 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROLnbv3ta8G55Zlpvsyxz82S5vGIhdb SYq1abeme2zxxt81ZM&t=1&usg=__GIqhiTQGu2RzyUTnS4mdKqMy_Zg=

Hope is a product.

& a lucrative one at that!

Book
17th July 2010, 08:56 AM
Once again, white folks are portrayed negatively (cannibals for crying out loud!).

http://www.sieuthiphim.com/App_Images/1449.jpg

http://whutsgood.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/willsmith-whutsgood.jpg
INDEPENDENCE DAY

Agreed DMac. A negro and a jew save us while Whitey is a buffoon...lol. How did this CLOWN (http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/will-smith.jpg) suddenly become the hero in big-budget movies? Jew-Hollywood declared war on Whitey decades ago.

:D

Phoenix
17th July 2010, 02:20 PM
http://www.sieuthiphim.com/App_Images/1449.jpg

I have not seen and never will watch that.

Robert Conrad is James West, and this PC bullsh*t desecrated many happy childhood memories.

Phoenix
17th July 2010, 02:25 PM
Once again, white folks are portrayed negatively (cannibals for crying out loud!).

While it is undeniable fact that Negroid peoples (in Africa and Southeast Asia) are prime practitioners of cannibalism, I've no doubt that the degenerate "White" (White Ni66er) populations in both America and Europe would not hesitate to devolve to that level with significant stressors (like no food for two weeks).

Gypsybiker45
18th July 2010, 11:25 AM

Way to go Book, spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it. ;D

I agree, it's about fatherhood, but disagree that a childless man would not rationally continue. What about the canabals? I think that scene where they chase down a mother/daughter infuriates quite a few. As a childless man myself, I'd probably do what I could to protect the innocent on my search for greener pastures.

As long as you are alive, there's no excuse for giving up.

AHH! You wouldnt be "defending the innocent" in that situation actually, you would be submitting to another primal instinct, to reproduce!. the cannibals were looking for chow in those two, but would probably have their way with them first, You on the other hand, would see them as potential mates and companions.Myself, I would have done as Viggo did, nothing (I have a family) I wouldnt put my family unit at risk for strangers, myself,yes, them no. In all reality, if the world was destroyed, I wouldnt work so hard to survive, just to survive. I would look for an isolated place to check out as being eaten is not one of my favorite ways to end this life.

Book
18th July 2010, 01:06 PM
How about a great big GROUP hug Book?

http://www.kawther.info/golani-crying.jpg