PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Price of Exit for Gold

G2Rad
18th June 2010, 09:17 AM
Suppose COMEX defaults and in a few days the POG shoots to the sky, making you rich.

Suppose the prices for everything else stay the same, at what minimal level will you be willing to part with your gold, so you could impement your dreams?

The poll is anonymous.

The results are shown only to those who voted.

thanks for participation

undgrd
18th June 2010, 09:37 AM
When I can trade my non core position in to pay off my house, that's when I sell. Not a moment sooner.

G2Rad
18th June 2010, 10:00 AM
When I can trade my non core position in to pay off my house, that's when I sell. Not a moment sooner.

undgrd, what is it that man needs to live happily the rest of his life?

1. nice house
2. good wife
3. kids
4. enough savings not to worry ever about bread on the table, doctor's bills, college expences (for kids), etc.
5. 100 acres of land with a small cottage and a lake
6. a car and a boat

what else?

I guess there is no point in desiring more than, say $3,000,000

Thoughts?

Steal
18th June 2010, 10:31 AM
This a no brainer, at $2,000 will start unloading and buying silver at 100:1 ratio.

Saul Mine
18th June 2010, 12:06 PM
How does it happen that some people are smart enough to trade their worthless FRNs for gold, and then stupid enough to trade back just because they can get more worthless FRNs than they started with?

ximmy
18th June 2010, 12:11 PM
I have no doubt it will go to 3000 and beyond.. at the moment I am considering 3000 for a sell off...

For me the idea is to pay off the mortgage...

cpy911
18th June 2010, 12:15 PM
Well, I am more into silver at the moment. If the ratio backs down to 1:30ish I will trade for Gold.
I will only sell my PM's to buy land or pay off my mortgage. I will patiently wait and accumulate until I have enough PM's to do this.

k-os
18th June 2010, 12:20 PM
G2Rad, it's really funny that you asked this, because while I was driving, I was thinking about your "dream a little" comment in another thread.

I couldn't think of a number that would make it worthwhile to sell, given the current political and economic situation. After all, if it went to 3K or 5K, that's still just worthless paper, backed by nothing, not even trust.

I didn't buy precious metals for an investment. I don't care to be rich. I bought them as a hedge against inflation (although when I first bought in, I didn't even know what that meant).

Being a doomer, I think that my precious metals are for the big "After".

But ximmy has a good point. If I could pay off my house with the sale of the metals, I would consider it . . . except that I am in Florida!

undgrd
18th June 2010, 12:21 PM

undgrd, what is it that man needs to live happily the rest of his life?

1. nice house
2. good wife
3. kids
4. enough savings not to worry ever about bread on the table, doctor's bills, college expences (for kids), etc.
5. 100 acres of land with a small cottage and a lake
6. a car and a boat

what else?

I guess there is no point in desiring more than, say $3,000,000

Thoughts?

I think happiness is a variable for each individual. Personally if bellies are full and everyone is healthy, let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

It may sound strange but over the last 2 years, I can't really think of too much I've wanted that didn't involve securing safety, in all forms, for my family.

G2Rad
18th June 2010, 12:30 PM
guys, looks like all we want is our freedom

freedom from slavetude to our bankers who hijacked our houses

freedom from slavitude to our jobs

all normal people want is to be free and to be left alone

gold can give us that freedom.

(and our Father in Heaven can give us the ultimate freedom from the curse of death)

Quixote2
18th June 2010, 12:39 PM
I start to roll out to alternate investments at a DOW/gold ratio of 3.
Additional amounts at ratios of 2.5, 2.0, 1.5, 1.0, and 0.75.

scofield
18th June 2010, 12:39 PM
price is not as important as price action. If gold goes steadily up 100 a month to 2000, I won't sell unless if I have to. but if gold shots from 1700 to 2000 within a week, I'm definitely a seller.

G2Rad
18th June 2010, 01:15 PM
I didn't buy precious metals for an investment. I don't care to be rich.

I appreciate that. After looking at how many suicides are among holywood stars, I figured rich people aint that happy.

for example to leave it to your kids? :)

Sparky
18th June 2010, 01:18 PM
How does it happen that some people are smart enough to trade their worthless FRNs for gold, and then stupid enough to trade back just because they can get more worthless FRNs than they started with?

Because everything is cyclical. At some point in the future following a huge inflationary period (which will be in response to deflation), gold will be overpriced. My guess is that this will occur in the 2013-2017 time frame, with gold in the $2500-$3200 range, and silver in the $75-$100 range.

I'd be willing to sell the "speculative" half of my physical at that point to be positioned for the next cycle. There's no plan to ever sell the other half.

To everything there is a season. Why wouldn't gold's purchasing power be cyclical, like every other commodity? Why shouldn't we expect cycle characteristics similar to 1979-80, and then the subsequent gold bear?

oldmansmith
18th June 2010, 01:22 PM
Makes sense Sparky. Sell some, but keep at least half no matter what. I'm waiting for the Dow/Gold ratio to be 2:1 before I'm selling any, and I might wait for 1:1. Dollar price is therefore somewhat irrelevant.

mamboni
18th June 2010, 01:25 PM

One name suffices: Kondratiev.

k-os
18th June 2010, 01:29 PM

for example to leave it to your kids? :)

I don't have any, and don't plan on having any. I would be happy to leave something of value to my nieces and nephews if they are smart, but the way they are being raised leaves me with much doubt. I have a feeling it is more likely that I will pass my precious metals on to other people.

Edit: What I meant by the big "After", is the rebuilding that will take place after TSHTF. I plan on being around for that.

G2Rad
18th June 2010, 01:33 PM
I'm waiting for the Dow/Gold ratio to be 2:1 before I'm selling any, and I might wait for 1:1.

Which means I did not provide enough options for people like you.

Your exit price for the scenario I depicted is between $5000 and $10000

G2Rad
18th June 2010, 01:47 PM
I have a feeling it is more likely that I will pass my precious metals on to other people.

that would be sad.

Edit: What I meant by the big "After", is the rebuilding that will take place after TSHTF. I plan on being around for that.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

I question the idea of rebuilding in a sense that there was no rebuilding of Roman empire.

America will die just like Soviet Union died. Something else will emerge in its place. Something(s ??? ) totally different.

IMHO

k-os
18th June 2010, 02:00 PM
I have a feeling it is more likely that I will pass my precious metals on to other people.

that would be sad.

Yes, it would be sort of sad, but at the same time, but would I want to pass down my earnings to someone who would buy a Ferrari with it, or pass my earnings down to someone who would be more likely to make something of it? The answer is clear to me.

The legacy that I leave behind would be in their minds, not in their blood.

But my nieces and nephews are still young, so a lot can happen. I haven't given up hope on them, I just have a guess where they are headed.

uranian
18th June 2010, 02:55 PM
when a day's work = an ounce of silver, and an ounce of gold = 15 ounces of silver. that'll be when i start to think of selling.

Sparky
18th June 2010, 03:35 PM
Makes sense Sparky. Sell some, but keep at least half no matter what. I'm waiting for the Dow/Gold ratio to be 2:1 before I'm selling any, and I might wait for 1:1. Dollar price is therefore somewhat irrelevant.

That's a good plan. I think 2:1 is a good bet to happen. 1:1 is much less likely, though not out of the question. I could see $3000 gold at Dow 5,500 some time in the time frame I pointed out.

Sparky
18th June 2010, 03:36 PM
I'm waiting for the Dow/Gold ratio to be 2:1 before I'm selling any, and I might wait for 1:1.

Which means I did not provide enough options for people like you.

Your exit price for the scenario I depicted is between $5000 and $10000

No. See above.

BabushkaLady
18th June 2010, 04:00 PM
G2Rad,
I couldn't think of a number that would make it worthwhile to sell, given the current political and economic situation. After all, if it went to 3K or 5K, that's still just worthless paper, backed by nothing, not even trust.

I didn't buy precious metals for an investment. I don't care to be rich. I bought them as a hedge against inflation (although when I first bought in, I didn't even know what that meant).

My thoughts exactly! Why trade PM's in for FRN's? I'll keep mine for trading down the road . . .

I lost touch with a friend that bought about 30k in gold about 8 years ago. It was stashed in a storage unit of all places! I just hope that gold gets sold and some land is purchased or it would have been a big stupid mistake to buy in the first place.

Sparky
18th June 2010, 04:09 PM
Bingo!

Sparky is a sharp as anyone here.

You make me blush.

k-os
18th June 2010, 04:32 PM
I have learned a lot by reading your posts over the past 2+ years Sparky. Thanks for the level head and the insightful posts.

I'm here to learn and you are a great teacher.

Agreed.