PDA

View Full Version : Banks In Oaxaca, Mexico No Longer Accept American Dollars.

Ponce
18th June 2010, 09:45 AM
First Cuba five years ago and now........Mexico?........that only tells me to get rid of the dollars, that's why I now have $5,000 more Canadians dollars coming in my way.
================================================== ===

Banks In Oaxaca, Mexico No Longer Accept American Dollars.

SoCal Martial Law Alerts
June 17, 2010

FRESNO, California -- SoCal Martial Law Alerts (SCMLA) interviewed Lee, an American who discovered while on a recent (Christian) mission trip to Oaxaca, Mexico, that Mexican banks will no longer exchange American dollars for Mexican pesos.

Lee said that, when he first arrived in Oaxaca two weeks ago, the banks would still exchange American dollars for Mexican pesos, but then when he accompanied a friend to a Mexican bank approximately one week ago, that's when he discovered the policy change regarding dollar-to-peso currency exchanges.

http://www.meetup.com/socalmartiallawalerts/messages/boards/thread/9290888

lapis
18th June 2010, 10:04 AM
According to this (http://mexican-travel.suite101.com/article.cfm/new-impacts--on-travelers-to-oaxaca-exchanging-dollars-for-pesos) article the changes took effect last month, ostensibly to curb money-laundering by drug traffickers, but most probably to discourage the "general underground economy."

Now "Oaxacans must now either use casas de cambio (with a less attractive rate of exchange more often than not), or open the type of business account permitted by the change in rules."

and tourists "will be restricted to using casas de cambio, credit cards, or ATMs to obtain pesos."

Ponce
18th June 2010, 10:48 AM
No problem, the bank will give you pesos for kilos.

Quantum
18th June 2010, 11:00 AM
that's why I now have $5,000 more Canadians dollars coming in my way.

You should have Maple Leafs or better still, Libertads, coming your way.

Paper is paper...and it's worthless.

Ash_Williams
22nd June 2010, 01:11 PM
Why would you need to exchange them? I've run across very few places that won't take us dollars. Especially tourist places.

cedarchopper
22nd June 2010, 01:39 PM
B.S...Banks in Oaxaca are branches of banks owned mostly by US Banks. The Mexican peso is also a derivative of the US Dollar. I can't count the times I've exchanged Dollars for Pesos in Oaxaca...if this even happened it was not because of a lack of convertibility of the Dollar.