PDA

View Full Version : Taco Mix prices insane

MNeagle
19th June 2010, 05:52 PM
Haven't bought taco mix seasoning for a while, and was shocked at the price! $.99 for one envelope packet or a 3-pack for $1.99. I remember buying it for .50/pkg or sometimes half that!

Anyway, today at Costco I noticed they carry 24 oz. jugs of Taco Seasoning, for $3.75, so I grabbed one. Much better price & no MSG it claims. I hope to try it out this week & sure hope we like it, so I can stock up on it.

Just an FYI.

Tinman
19th June 2010, 08:43 PM
I think at my local grocery store all seasoning packets are a dollar or more.

Prices on all non-sale items has gotten ridiculous.

cedarchopper
20th June 2010, 07:16 PM
Homemade taco seasoning:

6 TBS - chili powder (New Mexico chilies...my favorite)
5 TBS - paprika
4 1/2 TBS - ground cumin
3 TBS - onion powder or dried onions
2 1/2 TBS - garlic powder
1/2 TBS - cayenne

A lot cheaper and better than packaged seasonings, with no additives.

You can make your own chili powder with bulk dried chilies from the grocery store (at least in the SW)...just take out the seeds and stems and pulverize them into a fine powder in the blender. Most of the other ingredients can be purchased at Costco's...exception might be ground cumin, but it is readily available and inexpensive.

MNeagle
20th June 2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks for that recipe! How much do you use for 1 lb. of hamburger?

Thanks again.

cedarchopper
20th June 2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for that recipe! How much do you use for 1 lb. of hamburger?

Thanks again.

I brown the ground beef and add Real Salt...then add a little water and 2 or 3 TBS of mix, simmer on low for 10 or 15 minutes.

StackerKen
20th June 2010, 10:50 PM
+K

thanks Cedarchopper!

Bullfrog
22nd June 2010, 04:43 PM
A couple of alternatives, I am not a big fan of the store bought taco seasonings.

1. Hamburger - mushrooms - onion - home grown garlic
more garlic = more hot and more flavor
can add peppers if you got em

2. There are cans of tomato sauce type things with garlic and peppers already mixed in that are somewhat spicy and have good flavor. Cook it in with the hamburger, and slowly add flour to thicken the sauce.

StackerKen
22nd June 2010, 04:58 PM
A couple of alternatives, I am not a big fan of the store bought taco seasonings.

1. Hamburger - mushrooms - onion - home grown garlic
more garlic = more hot and more flavor
can add peppers if you got em

2. There are cans of tomato sauce type things with garlic and peppers already mixed in that are somewhat spicy and have good flavor. Cook it in with the hamburger, and slowly add flour to thicken the sauce.

I always have a couple dozen cans of this stuff in the pantry

http://www.texmex.net/Graphics/rotel.gif

Add meat and to have taco meat...and beans too and you have chili

sunshine05
27th June 2010, 08:15 AM
For a long time now, I've just been making my own seasoning when we have tacos or chili. I just use chili powder and cumin and sometimes garlic powder. The packaged stuff is way too salty.

Heimdhal
27th June 2010, 08:58 AM
I tried your mix recipe the other night ceader chopper.

I dont like spicy stuff that much, and I should have known from the ingredient amounts, but needless to say my eyes were watering after the first bite. However....it tatsted very good right until the heat kicked in. My wife loves spicy so she was all over it and really enjoyed it.

Im going to have to make a toned down version, but the mix was pretty good.

The only thing I added was a small small pinch of flour to help thicken the jucies while it simmered. Not sure if it was necessary, but I did it anyways and it worked out well.

Thanks again ceader.

cedarchopper
27th June 2010, 02:55 PM
I tried your mix recipe the other night ceader chopper.

I dont like spicy stuff that much, and I should have known from the ingredient amounts, but needless to say my eyes were watering after the first bite. However....it tatsted very good right until the heat kicked in. My wife loves spicy so she was all over it and really enjoyed it.

Im going to have to make a toned down version, but the mix was pretty good.

The only thing I added was a small small pinch of flour to help thicken the jucies while it simmered. Not sure if it was necessary, but I did it anyways and it worked out well.

Thanks again ceader.

Did you make it with the cayenne? That is probably the ingredient that kicked in on you...I should have warned about that, sorry :]

Shami-Amourae
27th July 2010, 05:05 PM
If you want good taco meat add in a lot of chopped garlic, hot sauce (Cholula recommended here), and finish with chopped cilantro. I use this method with pulled pork and chicken, it's pretty much flawless.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4160WF7SAEL._SS500_.jpg

CrufflerJJ
30th July 2010, 06:21 AM
If you want good taco meat add in a lot of chopped garlic, hot sauce (Cholula recommended here), and finish with chopped cilantro. I used this method with pulled pork and chicken, it's pretty much flawless.

Cholula is good stuff, and the wood screw cap is interesting, too. My favorite "regular" inexpensive/generic pepper sauce around the house is Louisiana brand (Bruce Foods). It's got a decent heat, good flavor, and is cheap.