PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cleanup Workers Not Paid On Time.

Ponce
19th June 2010, 06:02 PM
Five to one that by Monday the owner will be gone with all their money, unless BP declares chapter 9 first.
=================================================

Oil Cleanup Workers Not Paid On Time.

BP Subcontractor Says Checks Coming Monday
POSTED: 11:14 pm CDT June 18, 2010
UPDATED: 10:15 am CDT June 19, 2010

METAIRIE, La. -- The WDSU newsroom has fielded dozens of calls from people who say they're helping to clean up the oil but aren't getting paid for their work.

A group of response workers in Metairie said they waited on checks that never came this week. The person who hired them said it's all a mix-up.

The workers said they have been coming to work for weeks, but come payday, the checks never came.

"It has been hot. We have been promised stuff, and they lied to us," a worker said. "They're taking money, keeping money from us. Everything they tell us is a lie."

The workers have been cleaning up boom and spraying down barges. They are employed by a company called Tamarah, a subcontractor for BP.

Workers said they were told to pick up a check on Friday at an office building in Metairie.

"We are here to get our money, and the people here with us have no way home because they have no money, and we were promised our check when we got here today," a worker said.

Some of the workers were from Livingston Parish, and they said they need their money to make it back home.

"They won't talk to us," a worker said of Tamarah. "They called the cops on us and won't let us go up there."

The owner of the employment company said it's all a mix-up. A third party processes the checks, and they were not ready in time, the owner said.

"I understand because I have been in the same position before," she said. "I already explained it to them. If you were in my shoes, what can I tell them?"

The company owner said she has even gotten death threats.

"I have family to feed too," she said. "It's not my fault."

The head of Tamarah said the checks will be ready on Monday. She invited WDSU to come back as she hands out the checks to workers.

While the owner of the company could not give out checks on Friday, she said she bought gas cards so the workers could get home for the weekend and drive back to pick up their checks on Monday.
Copyright 2010 by WDSU.com. All rights reserved. This material may

http://www.wdsu.com/money/23960347/detail.html

Cebu_4_2
19th June 2010, 06:11 PM
Surprise? These people lost their livelihood and are desperate, US gov says lets play with the sheeple. Just a matter of time, sheeple in a herd are more powerful than a handful of elite. Fvck them elite.

Fudup
19th June 2010, 07:55 PM
Any big corporation is the same way. Any excuse to cut the checks a day, a week or more late.

StackerKen
19th June 2010, 09:13 PM
Hey at least they gave them all gas cards

Quantum
20th June 2010, 02:22 AM
They'll keep stalling until BP files for Chapter 11 on July 4th weekend. BP contractors will follow suit (no Pun intended) as they'll claim they can't survive without cash from BP (which is probably true).

Twisted Titan
20th June 2010, 08:55 AM
We have been promised stuff, and they lied to us," a worker said. "They're taking money, keeping money from us. Everything they tell us is a lie."

Makes you feel nice and secure about the reliabilty of your pension and SS checks as well right???

T