PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite canned chili?

Liquid
19th June 2010, 06:33 PM
So far mine is Dennisons with Hormel as a close second.

Chili, mixed with rice, is a hearty meal. The meat, beans, and rice make a complete protein.

I've been thinking of adding more chili to my preps, and thought I'd ask what you all's favorite is. Any recommendations?

BrewTech
19th June 2010, 06:41 PM
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/11/06/72/0007110672022_215X215.jpg

PatColo
19th June 2010, 08:36 PM
I'll second that on Stagg chili pictured above. Costco carries it, I think it's the only chili they carry, but it's the good stuff! Sirloin beef... mmm. And they just started selling it in #10 cans, comes out to like .60 cents/serving vs more like 1.50/serving in the small cans.

willie pete
19th June 2010, 08:46 PM
I think I've had Stagg Chili before, but can't remember, I don't purchase canned chili that often, I do notice the price though, it's amazing how homoel has increased in price, I do like Wendy's Chili

wish I had someone to give me some tips on cannin chili, stews and meals :oo-->

StackerKen
19th June 2010, 09:08 PM
I have a couple six packs of chili I bought at costco. (had to go look in the pantry then google it.)
Made by castleberrys
http://www.castleberrys.com/images/products/CDG%2015oz%20Chili%20With%20alt.jpg

I have only eaten it once It's pretty good though.

Liquid
20th June 2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks a lot folks! I don't believe I've tried Stagg before, but will give it a try.

I really do enjoy Chili, and it seems the price keeps going up. Everytime I go to the store I check to see what's on sale. Chili is one prep that I personally could not have enough of....

Try mixing Chili with rice sometime, or rice with canned beef/gravy. The two compliment each other quite nicely.

Kali
20th June 2010, 09:04 AM
I like to mix chili like Stagg with baked beans. Best flavor around...we bring to parties and everyone thinks its homemade. Add some sauteed onions too.

kregener
20th June 2010, 09:17 AM
Stagg...the exact style shown above.

StackerKen
20th June 2010, 09:34 AM
Liquid; I'll have to try the chili and rice thing(never have)

I like chili and scrambled eggs :)

Liquid
20th June 2010, 09:37 AM

Wow, I never thought of that Ken. Thanks, that really sounds good. :)

Same with the recommendation of adding baked beans...great suggestions.

willie pete
20th June 2010, 01:08 PM

Kenster, you've never had chili over rice? or any carb for that matter? take a baked potato, add chili and top with grated cheese ;D or over pasta; I like grilled cheese sandwiches with chili too,....good combination

StackerKen
20th June 2010, 01:14 PM

Kenster, you've never had chili over rice? or any carb for that matter? take a baked potato, add chili and top with grated cheese ;D or over pasta; I like grilled cheese sandwiches with chili too,....good combination

No I haven't...But I will soon. :)

I have had chili with a grilled cheese sandwich though.
I like grilled cheese sammies :)

Glass
20th June 2010, 08:39 PM
We even get the Stagg down under. I have a couple cases of it stashed. It's geat for "can't be stuffed" cooking. Whack some on a pile of steaming rice.. hmmm red beans and rice. Make for quick and tasty taco's too. Smells better warmed up than cold in the can.

zap
20th June 2010, 08:50 PM
I just bought a bunch of hormel chili with no beans, cook up your dry pinto beans and add a can of chili to it, stretches your meal out and tastes good to.

cedarchopper
20th June 2010, 09:02 PM
Wolf Brand, as far as canned chili goes. "How long has it been since you've had a big, thick, steamin' bowl of Wolf Brand Chili? Well that's too long."

I prefer homemade...chili is an art in my neck of the woods.

Liquid
21st June 2010, 10:40 AM
Tried Stagg chili this morning, with eggs. That's good chili!! Great call.

Also, enjoyed mixing them with eggs too. Thanks Ken.

Sparky
21st June 2010, 11:15 AM
Chili poured over breakfast food is called a Slinger in my parts. It is usually consumed at 3:00 in the morning after a night of hard partying.

Nice! ;)

If you ever want to develop a taste for something, eat it at 3 AM after a night of partying. That's how I learned to like corned beef hash in college. It was the only thing I had available at the moment, and I thought it was the most delicious thing in the world!

BrewTech
21st June 2010, 02:29 PM
Chili poured over breakfast food is called a Slinger in my parts. It is usually consumed at 3:00 in the morning after a night of hard partying.

Nice! ;)

If you ever want to develop a taste for something, eat it at 3 AM after a night of partying. That's how I learned to like corned beef hash in college. It was the only thing I had available at the moment, and I thought it was the most delicious thing in the world!

A fattie helps as well... (just sayin') :D

SLV^GLD
21st June 2010, 03:25 PM
I'll second the Cattle Drive chicken chili as being pretty tasty.

Recently I've been enjoying Shelton's Turkey Chili, especially conscious of the ingredients, there.

So, nobody makes and cans their own chili, eh? I'll tell you I can make better chili than anything you will ever find in a can and more than likely better than any you have ever had.

BrewTech
21st June 2010, 03:38 PM
I'll second the Cattle Drive chicken chili as being pretty tasty.

Recently I've been enjoying Shelton's Turkey Chili, especially conscious of the ingredients, there.

So, nobody makes and cans their own chili, eh? I'll tell you I can make better chili than anything you will ever find in a can and more than likely better than any you have ever had.

No doubt that a good homemade chili is better than anything one might find in a can. My GF has one we are trying to sell to the local shops around here... it's that good. Ground turkey and chicken breast replaces the steak and ground beef in the recipe. Six whole jalapenos (seeds and all) plus a generous addition of pineapple... yum.

SLV^GLD
21st June 2010, 03:52 PM
Yes, one of my secrets is turkey meat. Most people have no idea but the leaner meat makes for much better chili.
Another secret is the use of mushrooms and squash.
Can't give you all the secrets, though.

Bullfrog
22nd June 2010, 04:50 PM
Stagg chili is the best I have eaten. And I currently have a 10lbs bag of good brown rice that really stretches a can of chili a long ways. You have to cook the rice for 50 minutes, but it is worth it. Gotta get more chili and more rice.

StackerKen
22nd June 2010, 04:59 PM
I always have a couple dozen cans of this stuff in the pantry

http://www.texmex.net/Graphics/rotel.gif

Add meat and you have taco meat...and beans too and you have chili

PatColo
22nd June 2010, 09:33 PM
I'll second that on Stagg chili pictured above. Costco carries it, I think it's the only chili they carry, but it's the good stuff! Sirloin beef... mmm. And they just started selling it in #10 cans, comes out to like .60 cents/serving vs more like 1.50/serving in the small cans.

I was at Costco and looked again at those Stagg chilis. The sirloin one I've had before was a variety called "steak house reserve". The #10 can otoh was, forgot the name but it was a basic chili w/beans, so I assume that means a lower quality ground beef. Also, price difference was far less dramatic than I mistakenly thought- Costco's price cards told price per serving on the #10 cans, & price per can on the 8-can packs of 15 oz cans. Well you look at serving size on the product labels, and it's 1 cup, or 8 oz's. So the #10 cans cost about .65/serving, while the 15 oz cans cost around .80/serving.

We all know a proper serving of chili is a 15 oz can, of course. :)