PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDm (M-factor) .45

platinumdude
20th June 2010, 01:52 PM
I shot one this weekend and I like it. I knew I shouldn't have tried a new gun, but the front sight on my 9mm glock came loose at the start of my shooting time that I reserved. Had to get it glued back and couldn't use it for the day so that the glue sets in well.

Anyways I tried out the newest .45 they had there and it was the Springfield XD m-factor gun. The gun had a nice grip on my hand. I didn't notice much more recoil than my 9mm and this thing hold 13 rounds.

Now I am debating whether to buy one or not. I don't have any other pistol calibers so this will be my first .45. The .45 will be slightly quieter than the 9mm and the extra power will help. Only two rounds less than my glock. Any one else tried out this pistol yet?

http://www.the-m-factor.com/

Heimdhal
20th June 2010, 03:12 PM
I've never shot an XDm, but I have shot XD's and I liked them. Glocks dont fit my hands very well, at least the older model ones (havent tried one in some years now). I'll have to give this one a shot if I can find a range with one for rent (our ranges localy suck).

I wouldnt mind a 13+1 .45 though. My carry .45 is only 7+1. But a 19+1 9mm or 16+1 .40 is pretty good too if the mag is flush (as in doesnt hang off the gun three inches to give you that extra capacity).
20 rounds is a lot of bullets to sling around before reloading and since you already have 9mm, it means not dumping a few hundred bucks into ammo for a new one.

NOOB
21st June 2010, 02:44 PM
I have a xd45 and have handled the new xdm. The thing I noticed was the better trigger. Less overtravel and pretravel.
Unlike the 9 the new xdm45 takes the same mags as the plain xd45.

Probably got to get one.

Awoke
23rd June 2010, 12:39 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading on this, but I thought they were only releasing it in a .40 Calibre... Then I found the M-factor site.

I am considering getting one (http://gold-silver.us/forum/firearms/four-main-firearms-to-have/msg60340/#msg60340) for sure. They have a sweet package deal that has multiple clips, clip holsters, pistol holster, cleaning bruch, action lock, etc.

Looks like a very very nice deal. If you go to the link below you can DL the entire catalog and see the full package.

Promo is here:
http://www.the-m-factor.com/

Catalog is here:
http://www.the-m-factor.com/download/CatWebv2.pdf

platinumdude
26th June 2010, 05:50 AM
Well, I went ahead and ordered one. What is a good grain size far target practice and then for defensive loads?

NOOB
26th June 2010, 09:21 AM
230 grain pretty standard for both. Some 180 and 200 grain.

Awoke
26th June 2010, 02:07 PM
I'm going to get one of these in the fall. Too many other priorities during the summer, but I have to have one of these. I love them.

platinumdude
28th June 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm going to get one of these in the fall. Too many other priorities during the summer, but I have to have one of these. I love them.

What color are you getting? I was thinking the metal bi but then went all black.

Awoke
29th June 2010, 04:19 AM

What color are you getting? I was thinking the metal bi but then went all black.

I'm partial to the Olive drab, but I might buy more than one. If I do, I will probably get Black with the polished metal slide.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/springfield_XD-M.jpg

http://shootingsportsblog.com/bulletboy/files/2008/07/xdm-angle2.jpg

Awoke
29th June 2010, 04:22 AM
Hey PlatinumDude, what caliber did you buy, and how does it shoot?

(Like a dream, I imagine)

platinumdude
29th June 2010, 06:56 AM
I shot the .45 as a rental and I liked it a lot. Didn't notice much more recoil on it. I ordered it and won't receive it until around Friday.

platinumdude
1st July 2010, 07:02 PM
I have it now, and I will shoot it on Saturday. Looking at the gun looks like it has oil already, don't think I need to clean it.

Awoke
2nd July 2010, 12:59 PM
Sweet. Take pics and post a nice review here bro!

platinumdude
4th July 2010, 11:22 AM
I don't have a camera, I guess I will have to buy one later on. I shot a lot of rounds Saturday with the new gun. I set it for 7.5 yds for starters. I use the NRA 50 ft slow fire targets.

First two shots fired outside the last ring, needed to get used to it. The other shots came in center or near center. So it's pretty accurate. I set the target to 10 yds outs and my shots were drifting up and to the right, which usually means recoil anticipation. But also I shot more than I normally do and fatigue was setting in.

For me the trigger was smooth and not much more kick than my 9mm glock, but I like the power of the .45. The only from the power is maybe the way I was gripping it. Where that place between the thumb and index finger was just a little red.

So although I enjoyed shooting this .45 a lot, I still get even more pleasure shooting one of my rifles. But still good to alternate them when going to the range.

For disassembling it was easy like my glock except you don't have to pull the trigger. The spring of course on this .45 is stiffer and takes a little more effort to place back in.

I will be adding some night sights later on, maybe Trijicon brand.

platinumdude
4th July 2010, 05:18 PM
I should add I tried 13 rounds of the winchester defensive HP loads and no jamming occurred with it.

Awoke
4th July 2010, 06:38 PM
Nice. Thanks for following up.

I am really liking the things I have read about the XD(m), but I am also really liking the look, design and features of the Tuarus G2 PT 24/7 Pro. The have copied glock with thei dis-assembly mechanism and trigger safety, and brought in interchangeable backstraps as well. I am kind of torn. I may just end up buying one of each really.

platinumdude
4th July 2010, 06:50 PM
Is the Taurus a double action? I fired a double action walther and I really didn't like the trigger action on it at all. But I assume you fired them and are ok with that.

Awoke
5th July 2010, 03:56 AM
The PT 24/7 series are all DA/SA, since 2005 as far as I know. Obviously the DA pull is stiffer and longer than the SA pull, but it's not uncomfortable.

The benefit is that if you get a dry-fire, you can just squeeze the trigger again and (according to the company) about 90% of the mis-fired shells will ignite with a second hit.
That's a good option to have if you're in a gun fight! lol.

Awoke
5th October 2010, 03:54 PM
So has anyone else had any experiences with the XD(m)?

I am chomping at the bit to pick one up, but as always, I am broke. I'm thinking maybe in the spring now. Life as a family man is not cheap! haha!

I don't know how BlackBlade does it, with the cost of firearms!

Anyone who is interested enough, feel free to post pics/review info.

Awoke
5th October 2010, 06:27 PM
Great review. Thanks!

I think I might just have to get one .40 and one in 9mm.

undgrd
5th October 2010, 07:03 PM
I'm looking at getting a P239 in 40. The XDM is a great gun. If you've never shot a P239...try it out. I think you'll like it a lot!

Awoke
29th October 2010, 06:08 PM
I'm looking at getting a P239 in 40. The XDM is a great gun. If you've never shot a P239...try it out. I think you'll like it a lot!

To be honest, I am into tacti-cool pistols. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Haha.

IHS
31st December 2010, 07:19 AM
Taurus has rather poor customer support from numerous accounts. I would avoid them on that basis alone. Springfield, Glock, and Smith & Wesson on the otherhand, are all first-rate.

I am a Glock fan, but I now own three Springfields (XD9, XD40, XDm9) I bought for testing. Results at the range so far have been good, if not outstanding (accuracy-wise). The downside to an XD or XDm is the fact that you can't buy parts from Springfield, and must send the pistol in for any and all repair work.

Here is a well-written review of the XD: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/156561-cutting-through-hype-myths-xd-good-enough-professional-use.html

IHS