PDA

View Full Version : Saw Stop~amazing!

Steal
21st June 2010, 03:22 AM
My grandfather would have appreciated this. I know a few men missing parts of digets from saw accidents over their lifespan.
1/1,000 of a second must be pretty fast, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Osaka
21st June 2010, 03:31 AM
Very cool.

still afloat
21st June 2010, 05:04 AM
So is that around $60 to replace the system every time you grab a piece of slightly green wood ?

Ironfield
21st June 2010, 05:42 AM
Seen it before when it first aired on time stop but still manages to impress every time i see it.

I don't think you'd have much to fear about the green wood Stillafloat given FAQ number six on their website

6. Will cutting green or "wet" wood activate the SawStop safety system?

SawStop saws cut most wet wood without a problem. However, if the wood is very green or wet (for example, wet enough to spray a mist when cutting), or if the wood is both wet and pressure treated, then the wood may be sufficiently conductive to trigger the brake. Accordingly, the best practice is to dry wet or green wood before cutting by standing it inside and apart from other wood for about one day. You can also cut wet pressure treated wood and other conductive material by placing the saw in bypass mode to deactivate the safety system.

At any rate I think 60 dollars is worth the cost of keeping all my digits intact ;D

SawStop FAQ Page (http://www.sawstop.com/support/cabinet/faq.php)
-Ironfield

still afloat
21st June 2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the info Ironfield ,

SLV^GLD
21st June 2010, 07:41 AM
I, for one, am impressed.

cedarchopper
21st June 2010, 08:34 AM
It's cool and all but the table saw isn't the most likely tool to get your digits. With a table saw, you set the blade height to the thickness of the material being cut (so not a lot of blade is exposed), you use push sticks for small pieces, and keep your hands well away from the blade with sheet goods. I personally don't use a blade guard on my table saw because I consider it safer without.

The tools that I consider more dangerous are jointers (kickback) and bandsaws (making detailed cuts that get your fingers close to the blade...especially heavy pieces that start lifting at the end of the cut). My ultimate most dangerous woodworking tool is an old tenoner...I pray every time I use it, but it cuts perfect tenons in seconds on the hardest woods.

Ponce
21st June 2010, 08:49 AM
Brings to mind many other uses for this invention.........

First post of the day.........good morning to one and all.

SLV^GLD
21st June 2010, 09:24 AM
Yes, the most saw related injuries I have seen involved band-saws. I would expect this technology to be applicable to band-saws as well. In fact, for the average DIY home carpenter I'd think a strong table saw would be about the hardest thing to apply this technology to due to the direct drive nature of the blade and the sheer amount of force behind it.

Heimdhal
21st June 2010, 02:19 PM
I agree with the others that this would see better use in other saws, particularly band saws. I have a fairly weak band saw and even that would take a finger in half and I've come close, especialy when those blades start to dull out.

but, give it time. This guy will eventualy get around to all that I'm sure, just like most good and unique inventions. It will also get cheaper as her perfects the design and figures out better ways and materials.

It is pretty damned amazing though. You know thats gonna cost a good shop $500 right off the bat, cause they are gonna wanna test it 10 times just for giggles.

Mill Man
21st June 2010, 09:12 PM
A bandsaw would be relatively easy to apply this technology to. Off the top of my head, you could have some break pads with heavy springs behind them waiting to stop the blade. Good stuff.

JohnQPublic
21st June 2010, 09:34 PM
I like it.

keehah
22nd June 2010, 01:07 AM
I give it two thumbs up. Or 10 out of 10.

I'd bet this could privatize tool use. No longer the sin of being to harmful, but the deadly vice of being too expensive!

It is so good all public use and school shops should be required to use them. Then as people express their need to try it such shops will not have the budget to replace them, and such tools will tend to remain out of order, no longer available for use.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3358/3572092586_43537e3974.jpg