PDA

View Full Version : Oil soaks miles of Pensacola Beach

StackerKen
23rd June 2010, 02:04 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/TRAVEL/06/23/pensacola.beach.oil/t1larg.amerson.irpt.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/23/pensacola.beach.oil/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Heimdhal
23rd June 2010, 02:14 PM
silly ken, its just asphalt from the gigantic asphalt volcano that was carefully released by BP and the government, mixed with controlled oil releases from existing rigs.

;D

Kali
23rd June 2010, 02:22 PM
Normally I'd be excited seeing that much black sand.

StackerKen
23rd June 2010, 03:04 PM
I know...Im being silly Heim :)

Im wondering why there isn't clean up workers in that picture.

I think there should be hundreds of them there right now.

Dang...I think the sand bar idea is a good one too....they should be all over that :-\

willie pete
23rd June 2010, 03:13 PM
It'd seem from a logistical stand-point, it'd be easier to clean up oil once it hit the beach like in this photo, not-so in a wetland/marshland setting, by just running a grader down the beach to scoop up a few inches of the oil contamentated sand

gunDriller
23rd June 2010, 03:22 PM
It'd seem from a logistical stand-point, it'd be easier to clean up oil once it hit the beach like in this photo, not-so in a wetland/marshland setting, by just running a grader down the beach to scoop up a few inches of the oil contamentated sand

what they need is an army of thousands of people with this kind of common sense.

but they don't seem to have much of a plan for protecting the people from the fumes.

they should have the clean-up workers wearing scuba gear or something so they can breathe clean air while they work.

plus a full body suit, maybe like one of those Intel bunny suits, to protect their skin from exposure.

my guess is, the workers are being paid about $15 an hour.

that won't pay for the medical care a lot of them will need. although i don't think medical science can do a lot to help them except to speak out beforehand to make sure the workers aren't hurt by the poisons.

Apparition
23rd June 2010, 03:27 PM
It's heartbreaking seeing this and realizing that there are plenty more gallons of oil ready to wash ashore again and potentially all over the shores of the gulf states.

Much of the tourism industry will likely be bankrupted and lead to even more financial problems.

Florida and the gulf states will never be the same for decades.

gunDriller
23rd June 2010, 05:25 PM
It's heartbreaking seeing this and realizing that there are plenty more gallons of oil ready to wash ashore again and potentially all over the shores of the gulf states.

Much of the tourism industry will likely be bankrupted and lead to even more financial problems.

Florida and the gulf states will never be the same for decades.

this is the tip of the iceberg.

it's also a wierd situation where the weather can intervene and save one coastline at the expense of another.

i think BP is already scheming to argue that the hurricanes are an "Act of God" are something, thereby absolving them from some of the responsibility for the spill.

Heimdhal
23rd June 2010, 05:28 PM
just some anecdotal evidence.

Just found out tonight that a friend of the family has been working up in the pensacola area as a heavy equipment operator.

Said they just got done with another 92 hour work week. Hes making about 13-14 an hour in his position(before over time pay), was hired on through Work Force Alliance (the govt) and the've been busting ass and are still looking for people.

Just putting some information out there, for whatever purpose it might serve.

keehah
23rd June 2010, 05:47 PM
just running a grader down the beach to scoop up a few inches of the oil contaminated sand

Then they can truck it up to Alberta or ship it to Venezuela for processing.

Seriously though, I expect issues over the handling of the huge volumes of clean up waste.

willie pete
23rd June 2010, 06:06 PM
just running a grader down the beach to scoop up a few inches of the oil contaminated sand

Then they can truck it up to Alberta or ship it to Venezuela for processing.

Seriously though, I expect issues over the handling of the huge volumes of clean up waste.

Hell, I'm no construction engineer, but I've seen 'em grade roads and such, I know it wouldn't be as easy as that, seems like they could capture a lot of it, and too, it's SUMMER, and that means it HOT!!!, So what does oil do when it gets hot? it gets thin, so I'd think it penetrate even further down, that'd mean they 'd have to remove even more soil/sand, and to process it, how about putting it in a centrafuge, spinning the waste, the oil may separate from the solid matter that way or they could pack it up in 55 gal drums and ship it out to Kenster's Farm :D

StackerKen
23rd June 2010, 06:12 PM
Cool Willie thanks...what's oil going for a barrel now days? :)

zap
23rd June 2010, 06:12 PM
I am so disgusted with this mess, This is a huge company with billions of dollars and endless resources, and these as$holes can't stop the leak or clean up the damn mess this has been going on wayyyy to long. The more I see the madder I get. >:(

Horn
23rd June 2010, 06:28 PM
Probably the first of many waves for at least the next couple of years.

willie pete
23rd June 2010, 06:39 PM
Cool Willie thanks...what's oil going for a barrel now days? :)

Closed around 75 today ;D

gunDriller
24th June 2010, 05:48 AM
I am so disgusted with this mess, This is a huge company with billions of dollars and endless resources, and these as$holes can't stop the leak or clean up the damn mess this has been going on wayyyy to long. The more I see the madder I get. >:(

that's how i felt last Friday Saturday. ended up with a major stomach ache that took me out of commission Saturday.

DMac
24th June 2010, 06:19 AM
Not agreeing with the narrator's hypothesis that the "water is boiling like acid" but I found the clip interesting as he was right in saying (paraphrasing) "this sandy beach was known as one of the whitest in the world" - it's a damn shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO193f8xAls

oldmansmith
24th June 2010, 06:40 AM
I remember going to the beaches in Pensecola when I was a kid, and yes they were very white and beautiful.

This makes me sick, and if things continue parts of the east coast could look like this in the future.

DMac
24th June 2010, 07:13 AM
Aerial footage of tar on Pensacola Beach from Escambia County Sheriff's Office helicopter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fqu3beMcIw

Horn
24th June 2010, 10:52 PM
Not agreeing with the narrator's hypothesis that the "water is boiling like acid" but I found the clip interesting as he was right in saying (paraphrasing) "this sandy beach was known as one of the whitest in the world" - it's a damn shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO193f8xAls

I could tell there was some trace remainders right after the white water sections that appeared to be "bubbling".

Like left over "stickyness" from the white water...