PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life of Scotch?

joe_momma
25th June 2010, 12:24 PM
If I lay down a case of Scotch (bought from the store in sealed glass bottles) in a cool, dry place - how long will it keep?

My assumption is indefinitely - without temperature variance or sunlight I'd think it would remain unchanged.

Any opinions?

undgrd
25th June 2010, 12:27 PM
50 year old scotch has been in a barrel for...50 years. Anything you store should be just fine.

Gaillo
25th June 2010, 12:27 PM
I have partial bottles of Scotch from 11 years ago that still taste the same as the day they were opened.

Liquid
25th June 2010, 12:28 PM
I think it'll last a very long time, if not indefinitely.

I've got some bottles, opened actually, that are over 10 years old. One is a bottle of calvados. They are fine. Keep em' in a cool dry places, out of the sunlight like you already mentioned.

mamboni
25th June 2010, 12:30 PM
The shelf life of alcohol distillates like scotch, bourbon and vodka is virtually infinite. These make great barter items too. Many a man will trade a day's labor, food or gold/silver for a bottle of good hootch.

cedarchopper
25th June 2010, 12:40 PM
The shelf life of alcohol distillates like scotch, bourbon and vodka is virtually infinite. These make great barter items too. Many a man will trade a day's labor, food or gold/silver for a bottle of good hootch.

Did you see the PBS show "Frontier House"? The family with the still had it made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQgn54iYjo

mamboni
25th June 2010, 12:45 PM

Did you see the PBS show "Frontier House"? The family with the still had it made.

After reading Shirley MacClain's book in reincarnation, I had a dream where I was living as a frontiersman in 1900s America. I died when I spent to much time at the business end of a home-made still. My pickled body still lies perfectly preserved under the Arizona desert.

cedarchopper
25th June 2010, 12:51 PM

After reading Shirley MacClain's book in reincarnation, I had a dream where I was living as a frontiersman in 1900s America. I died when I spent to much time at the business end of a home-made still. My pickled body still lies perfectly preserved under the Arizona desert.

You're admitting to reading Shirley's book? :]

The family with the still had a very profitable trading system going...get one while you can ;]

KumbayaMan
25th June 2010, 12:55 PM

That was a pretty cool show.... I liked the Manor House one too...
Anyway, I have an old bottle of VO whiskey from 1970 which I haven't cracked open yet but you guys got me thinkin about it.... 8)
Also have a nice 16yr (20 now) old bottle of Lagavulen (sp) single malt but am afraid to open it because I know I'll drink it :P It's reeeeally gooood ::)

Saul Mine
25th June 2010, 12:59 PM
Nobody actually knows because they always sample the brew until it's all gone.

willie pete
25th June 2010, 04:30 PM
IF you could keep it from evaporating, it'd probably last a very long time, the next question would be: Would it be drinkable?

Here's an example of an Old bottle of wine:

"WORLD'S OLDEST BOTTLE of WINE
Unearthed during excavation for building a house in a vineyard near the town of Speyer, Germany, it was inside one of two Roman stone sarcophaguses that were dug up. The bottle dates from approximately 325 A.D. and was found in 1867.

The greenish-yellow glass amphora has handles formed in the shape of dolphins. One of several bottles discovered, it is the only one with the contents still preserved.

The ancient liquid has much silty sediment. About two-thirds of the contents are a thicker, hazy mixture. This is most probably olive oil, which the Romans commonly used to "float" atop wine to preserve it from oxidation. Cork closures, although known to exist at the time, were quite uncommon. Their oil method of preservation was apparently effective enough to keep the wine from evaporation up to modern day."

Half Sense
26th June 2010, 06:24 AM
Shelf life of good scotch around my house is about 2 weeks. :D

KumbayaMan
26th June 2010, 06:33 AM
Shelf life of good scotch around my house is about 2 weeks. :D

:D Quoted for truth ;D ;D ;D

CrufflerJJ
28th June 2010, 06:34 PM
Also have a nice 16yr (20 now) old bottle of Lagavulen (sp) single malt but am afraid to open it because I know I'll drink it :P It's reeeeally gooood ::)

Lagavulin is a nice peaty whisky. It's got a nice smoky burn. Try Laphroig if you've not had any in the past. MUCH more iodine/smoke/peat flavor than Lagavulin.

KumbayaMan
28th June 2010, 09:24 PM

Lagavulin is a nice peaty whisky. It's got a nice smoky burn. Try Laphroig if you've not had any in the past. MUCH more iodine/smoke/peat flavor than Lagavulin.

Truthfully Lagavulin is the only single malt I've ever had... My sis bought me a bottle some years back for x-mas and the guy at the liquor store told her I'd either love it or hate it.

Well that bottle went pretty quick. :oo-->

I bought another when my daughter was born and haven't opened it yet.
Got plenty of Crown Royal for the occasional cocktail so I'm saving it (possibly for SHTF) 8)

I do tell people that the only reason I'm not an alcoholic is because I don't have an ice maker... ;D

SLV^GLD
30th June 2010, 09:23 AM
Shackleton's Scotch (http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/environment/090909/shackletons-whisky) preserved for 100 years. It was buried under ice, though.