PDA

View Full Version : Criminalizing Dissent - Supreme Court Routs 1st Ammedment

DMac
26th June 2010, 07:43 AM
Details:

Supreme Court Ruling Criminalizes Speech in Material Support Law Case (http://ccrjustice.org/newsroom/press-releases/supreme-court-ruling-criminalizes-speech-material-support-law-case)

The Court rejected the government’s argument that the statute, when applied to plaintiffs’ proposed speech, regulated not speech but conduct, and therefore needed to meet only a low standard – “intermediate scrutiny” – to survive. Instead, the Court found that the statute did criminalize speech on the basis of its content, but then found that the government’s interest in delegitimizing groups on the designated "terrorist organization" list was sufficiently great to overcome the heightened level of scrutiny. This one of a very few times that the Supreme Court has upheld a criminal prohibition of speech under strict scrutiny, and the first time it has permitted the government to make it a crime to advocate lawful, nonviolent activity.

Commentary:
Guest Post: Is the U.S. a Fascist Police-State? (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest-post-us-fascist-police-state)

Holder v. Humanitarian Law Project is not about limiting free speech—it's about the state expanding it power to repress. The decision limits free speech in passing, because what it is really doing is expanding the state’s power to repress whomever it unilaterally determines is a terrorist.

In the decision, the Court explicitly ruled that “Congress and the Executive are uniquely positioned to make principled distinctions between activities that will further terrorist conduct and undermine United States foreign policy, and those that will not.” In other words, the Court makes it clear that Congress and/or the Executive can solely and unilaterally determine who is a “terrorist threat”, and who is not—without recourse to judicial review of this decision. And if the Executive and/or Congress determines that this group here or that group there is a “terrorist organization”, then their free speech is curtailed—as is the free speech of anyone associating with them, no matter how demonstrably peaceful that speech or interaction is.

For example, if the Executive—in the form of the Secretary of State—decides that, say, WikiLeaks or Amnesty International is a terrorist organization, well then by golly, it is a terrorist organization. It no longer has any right to free speech—nor can anyone else speak to them or associate with them, for risk of being charged with providing “material support” to this heinous terrorist organization known as Amnesty International.

This is bad news.

BabushkaLady
26th June 2010, 08:33 AM
Ya gotta watch em! I always like to the read the breakdown of votes:

June 21, 2010, Washington and New York – Today, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6-3 to criminalize speech in Holder v. Humanitarian Law Project, the first case to challenge the Patriot Act before the highest court in the land, and the first post-9/11 case to pit free speech guarantees against national security claims. Attorneys say that under the Court’s ruling, many groups and individuals providing peaceful advocacy could be prosecuted, including President Carter for training all parties in fair election practices in Lebanon. President Carter submitted an amicus brief in the case.

Chief Justice Roberts wrote for the majority, affirming in part, reversing in part, and remanding the case back to the lower court for review; Justice Breyer dissented, joined by Justices Ginsburg and Sotomayor.

I am me, I am free
26th June 2010, 10:54 AM
Up is down, black is white, non-violence is bad, violence is good.

It all makes sense to me now.

wildcard
26th June 2010, 12:09 PM
When the 1st fails, the 2nd will provide.

*that is if people aren't too drugged up, distracted or cowardly to pick up a firearm and use it for good.

I am me, I am free
26th June 2010, 12:13 PM
When the 1st fails, the 2nd will provide.

*that is if people aren't too drugged up, distracted or cowardly to pick up a firearm and use it for good.

Which is why everyone should arm themselves with at least one 1w blue laser before they become outlawed.

When 1w blue lasers are outlawed, only outlaws will have 1w blue lasers.

Ares
26th June 2010, 12:32 PM
No law can take away what god has given.

Only if we cower in submission do we allow them this injustice.

I will die on my feet before I ever live on my knees.

Saul Mine
26th June 2010, 02:52 PM
the Court found that the statute did criminalize speech on the basis of its content, but then found that the government’s interest in delegitimizing groups on the designated "terrorist organization" list was sufficiently great to overcome the heightened level of scrutiny.

IOW rights shall not be infringed unless the government is really really worried about something or other.

Ponce
26th June 2010, 07:26 PM
Yara, yara, yara, yara.........blah, blah, blah............the law is what those that control this nation say it is and if you didn't do anything while MONKEY BUSH was n command I then expect nothing more from you.

Yesterday morning someone left a card in my mail box because of my sign in my front yard (my avatar), I called him last night and wanted to know if I would mind if he made one like it for his property.........is not much in what I am doing but at least I am doing something.....put your balls where your mouth is and make a sign like mine.

If any of you don't like what I just wrote then jump right in because as far as I am concern you are defending "them" and not the US......

MAGNES
26th June 2010, 07:44 PM
They do it slowly, Fabian Society doctrine, consider on paper
Bush NeoCons created the police state.

WildCards SIG.
Look into it no matter how aware you are.
Must reading, the best SIG on GIM and here.

DMac
29th June 2010, 02:02 PM
Russia Today covering the "massive blow to the 1st amendment"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7MS7AzZE8k

The Supreme Court ruled in favor of Holder in the case of Holder v Humanitarian Law Project. They voted to uphold the constitutionality of a federal law that makes it a crime to provide material support to foreign terrorist organizations. But they've expanded the meaning of material support. Now we are no longer talking just weapons and money, lawyers, journalists and academics are now all in danger of prosecution. This is a massive blow to the first amendment. Alyona talks to radio host Thom Hartmann to ask him if the Supreme has taken another step in eroding American's free speech.

gunDriller
29th June 2010, 02:07 PM
who did the Humanitarian Law Project talk to - the Gaza Aid Flotilla ?