PDA

View Full Version : UK: Crown owns all gold and silver mineral rights

JohnQPublic
26th June 2010, 11:56 PM
The Crown owns the gold and silver. And people say they have no power!

Gold and silver (http://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/planning/legislation/mineralOwnership.html)
The Crown holds the rights to gold and silver. This is the case across the whole of the UK although in the past, in Scotland, some rights were transferred by ancient charter. The mines of these metals are known as ‘Mines Royal’. A licence, known as a Mines Royal Licence, for the exploration and development of these metals must be obtained from the Crown Estate Mineral Agent, Wardell Armstrong.

gunDriller
27th June 2010, 06:26 AM
i have a feeling that there's more gold above ground in England than below ground.

still, the Crown has maintained their power by allying with the US & Israel.

JohnQPublic
27th June 2010, 09:49 AM
The same report indicates they own all the land in the UK, except where others hold clear title.

palani
27th June 2010, 10:37 AM
The same report indicates they own all the land in the UK, except where others hold clear title.

There is no land in the U.K.

It is a maritime enterprise.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
1st July 2010, 04:41 PM
I always pictured the UK as having many, many underground vaults.

Glass
2nd July 2010, 12:03 AM
Question becomes, what is and who owns the crown?

Ragnarok
8th July 2010, 07:41 AM
As in so many other things, you own it only if you hold it - and are able to enforce that.

R.

gunDriller
9th July 2010, 12:10 PM
As in so many other things, you own it only if you hold it - and are able to enforce that.

R.

problem is, the new 2012 tax laws in the US interfere with one's ownership by the government sticking their hand in your pocket at the time of an asset sale.

i imagine there's similar laws in the UK.

with that as the background, enforcing one's ownership becomes like a cat and mouse game with the US & UK governments.