PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Byrdie?

RatHoler
27th June 2010, 02:12 PM
-----------

Apparition
27th June 2010, 02:16 PM
It's certainly possible.

Although there were some good political positions he held (anti-amnesty, anti-war, anti-affirmative action, pro-choice, etc.) he also supported much of 0bummer's agenda including the corporatist health care bill.

It's been rumored that the WV governor may seek his seat if he dies or resigns.

EE_
28th June 2010, 04:40 AM
He has cashed them in. Nearly 60 years in Congress. :o

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/06/28/sen-robert-byrd-longest-serving-member-of-congress-is-dead-at/?icid=main|

That's a lot of years of looking the other way and taking part in the looting and destruction of this once great country.
The news of his death is reported as being "tragic"
The only thing I see as tragic is someone having tenure in any position for almost 60 years.

Celtic Rogue
28th June 2010, 04:54 AM
I feel for his family's loss but feel the country is better off now.

All these professional politicians need to be given the door in November.

Carbon
28th June 2010, 05:37 AM
He has cashed them in. Nearly 60 years in Congress. :o

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/06/28/sen-robert-byrd-longest-serving-member-of-congress-is-dead-at/?icid=main|

That's a lot of years of looking the other way and taking part in the looting and destruction of this once great country.
The news of his death is reported as being "tragic"
The only thing I see as tragic is someone having tenure in any position for almost 60 years.

Feh... what a legacy.

After a glorious State funded funeral, The People will continue to be milked and bilked by his progeny for generations to come.

Adios, MF.

Twisted Titan
28th June 2010, 06:49 AM
Feh... what a legacy.

After a glorious State funded funeral, The People will continue to be milked and bilked by his progeny for generations to come.

Adios, MF.

Over 2/3's of WV has his name on buildings centers and statehouses, monuements and whatever else could be leased out to him.

Give my regards to Ted Kenedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB_NmxfYV2E

Libertarian_Guard
28th June 2010, 10:00 AM
FrontPageMagazine.com | Thursday, February 14, 2002

THE POOR'S SENSEof class superiority over the rich is getting out of hand.

At a Senate Budget Committee hearing last week, Sen. Robert Byrd, who was named after a bridge in West Virginia, viciously attacked Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill for having made a success of himself. Claiming to speak for worthless layabouts, Byrd snippily informed O'Neill: "They're not CEOs of multibillion-dollar corporations. ... In time of need, they come to us, the people come to us."

Evidently what the people-in-need are asking for is a lot of federal projects named after Senator Byrd.

Some items funded by taxpayers – but still somehow named after "Robert C. Byrd" – are: The Robert C. Byrd Highway; the Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam; the Robert C. Byrd Institute; the Robert C. Byrd Life Long Learning Center; the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program; the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope; the Robert C. Byrd Institute for Advanced Flexible Manufacturing; the Robert C. Byrd Federal Courthouse; the Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center; the Robert C. Byrd Academic and Technology Center; the Robert C. Byrd United Technical Center; the Robert C. Byrd Federal Building; the Robert C. Byrd Drive; the Robert C. Byrd Hilltop Office Complex; the Robert C. Byrd Library; the Robert C. Byrd Learning Resource Center; the Robert C. Byrd Rural Health Center.

And then it got late, and I had to stop researching. But it appears that every slab of concrete in West Virginia is named after Bob Byrd.

Really warming to his class-envy tirade, the King Tut of the Senate further informed O'Neill: "I haven't walked in any corporate boardrooms. I haven't had to turn any millions of dollars into trust accounts. I wish I had those millions of dollars." Instead, Byrd had to scrape by with billions of dollars forcibly extracted from the taxpayers to build grotesque banana republic tributes to himself.

At least the money O'Neill "turn[ed] into trust accounts" came from his own pocket. Coincidentally, the money Byrd turned into eponymous monuments also came from O'Neill's pocket. A humble display of gratitude might have been more appropriate.

An astonished O'Neill responded to the harangue: "I started my life in a house without water or electricity. So I don't cede to you the high moral ground of not knowing what life is like in a ditch."

http://97.74.65.51/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=25344

Twisted Titan
28th June 2010, 01:17 PM
The Robert C. Byrd Highway; the Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam; the Robert C. Byrd Institute; the Robert C. Byrd Life Long Learning Center; the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program; the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope; the Robert C. Byrd Institute for Advanced Flexible Manufacturing; the Robert C. Byrd Federal Courthouse; the Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center; the Robert C. Byrd Academic and Technology Center; the Robert C. Byrd United Technical Center; the Robert C. Byrd Federal Building; the Robert C. Byrd Drive; the Robert C. Byrd Hilltop Office Complex; the Robert C. Byrd Library; the Robert C. Byrd Learning Resource Center; the Robert C. Byrd Rural Health Center.

Thanks LG

I owe you three mercury dimes.

T

Libertarian_Guard
28th June 2010, 01:41 PM
He was the epitome of 'A Honorable Statesman' - - whenever it came to tooting his own horn, he seldom missed a chance.