PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on alternatives to apple spraying

chad
29th June 2010, 07:06 AM
so this little farm i bought/just moved to has about 9 mature apple trees. right now, they're about the size of baseballs and green. all of the orchards around me are moving in to "spray them" time so they don't get worms.

any alternatives to this that are natural? i don't really want chemicals on them, but then again, i don't really want them all ruined by worms either.

haven't been posting much lately, much to do when you buy a house + 10 acres that have been neglected for 8 years.

gunDriller
29th June 2010, 07:29 AM
buy some Safer soap concentrate, it's a potassium fatty acid that dissolves bugs but is relatively safe for humans.

then mix it up, spray it, or dip the apples in it.

it's about as safe an insecticide as you can get. among organic farming folks, a lot of them consider it to be acceptable.

Large Sarge
29th June 2010, 07:36 AM
I have not tried the bug spray w/ sugar/peroxide yet

I do notice that the plants trees are so healthy from peroxide, I do not see pests

The Amish started using hydrogen peroxide in agriculture. Amish people spray their string beans after they're done yielding, with a solution of hydrogen peroxide several times in the morning. Those beans re-bloom, and they get another 1-3 pickings. They spray it on their cabbage and on their cauliflower and potatoes, and the bugs leave. They spray their alfalfa with it and they find that they get 6 inches more growth, and the alfalfa aphids and weevils leave. An ounce of 3% H2O2 per quart of water used. Spray the solution on the leaves as well. Seeds germinate faster, with bigger sprouts when they are first soaked in one ounce of H2O2 to a pint of water. Instead of cutting trees that are diseased or otherwise struggling, spray them with 1 part H2O2 to 32 parts water. To use it as an insecticide, take a gallon of water and add 8 oz. of white sugar, and 8 oz. of 3% hydrogen peroxide and spray your plants with it. The sugar absorbs the hydrogen peroxide, and it sticks to the leaf. However it will fall off if it rains. If you do your carrots with this sugar solution they will foliage feed and become very sweet. The H2O2 stimulates the plants so they take out more nitrogen from the air.

chad
29th June 2010, 07:41 AM
thanks guys, i will look in to this. sounds like a plan.

Large Sarge
29th June 2010, 07:50 AM
this thread has a lot of info on peroxide for plants

http://gold-silver.us/forum/gardening-and-farming/hydrogen-peroxide-for-your-plans-trees-gardens-etc/