PDA

View Full Version : The Afghan women jailed for 'bad character'

Libertarian_Guard
29th June 2010, 12:07 PM
The Afghan women jailed for 'bad character'

Meet Sorarya and you meet "attitude".

It has something to do with the way she wears her red tunic and trousers, her short cropped black leather jacket, and the way she chews gum and rolls her eyes.

"What are you here for?" I ask as we sit in a makeshift beauty parlour, surrounded by a group of Afghan women in less flamboyant attire.

"Should I tell her?" she asks the other women with a mischievous grin.

"Bad character," she says after a moment's hesitation. She suppresses a giggle then doubles over with laughter. Everyone giggles with her.

Sorarya doesn't explain what that means. But almost every woman in this room has been accused of "bad character" of one kind or another.

Missing school

We are sitting in Badam Bagh, or Almond Garden, Afghanistan's only prison for women in the capital Kabul.

The prison is a window on a world where, outside these walls, women are constantly judged against a standard that makes many of their stories difficult to fathom.

Sixteen-year-old Sabera, with a pretty yellow head scarf, frets that she is missing school.

"I was about to get engaged, and the boy came to ask me himself, before sending his parents. A lady in our neighbourhood saw us, and called the police," she explains.

She was sentenced to three years but, in an act of mercy, it was shortened to 18 months.

Fellow inmate Aziza was accused of running away from her husband. She says she was acquitted two months ago, but still languishes in prison.

A senior official in Afghanistan's Ministry for Women's Affairs told a recent UN workshop that about half of Afghanistan's 476 women prisoners were detained for "moral crimes".

That includes everything from running away from home, refusing to marry, marrying without their family's wishes, and "attempted adultery".

"In many cases women run away because they can't bear the domestic violence and then they are picked up and taken into custody for a long time," explains Nader Nadery, a commissioner at Afghanistan's Independent Human Rights Commission.

'What's my crime?'

The legal system further tips the scales of justice.

"Running away is not defined in any penal code," says Mr Nadery. "If there is no provision in law, they refer to Islamic Sharia law and this gives them an open hand."

Mastura is a waif of a woman, 19 years old, and accused of adultery by her husband.

"I was three months pregnant, and he said the child wasn't his and he kicked me out of our house," she says, cradling her infant son as she perches on the edge of a metal bed in her communal cell.

"My mother lodged a complaint against him but the government locked me up."

All the women in her cell, from teenagers to an 80-year-old woman veiled in black, listen quietly as she tells us her story. But they must know it by now.

"Every time I think about it, I cry, and I say to myself, 'What crime have I committed that I should be in prison?'" wails Mastura. She appeals to President Hamid Karzai to allow all the women to go home.

Mastura named her son Izzatullah, which means "God's honour". For an alleged crime linked to his mother's "honour", he's been born a prisoner.

About 40 other young children also share their mother's fate, living in Badam Bagh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8771605.stm

Gaillo
29th June 2010, 12:14 PM
Yep. Looks like we "freed" them REAL good! :oo-->

wildcard
29th June 2010, 12:51 PM
Time to stir up some hate on them weirdo Afghanis! I'm sure glad nobody thinks we're weird and tries to cook up a reason to bomb the shit out of us.

Hermie
29th June 2010, 01:00 PM
I thought it was going to be these two...

wildcard
29th June 2010, 01:42 PM
HAHA! That pic is fucking awesome! They look like they're in the middle of something and got caught.

Serpo
29th June 2010, 02:59 PM
Locked up for bad character

Damn its still not sinking in

wildcard
29th June 2010, 03:11 PM
Predator strike for oil.

Predator strike for money.

Predator strike for control.

Predator strike because they're muslim.

Minding my own f*cking business because it's not my culture or my call (instead of murdering people different than me and funding the MIC).

Self determination.

*reminds me of one of the posters back on GIM. One of the women I think, she said her dad taught her:

If you don't like being a doormat, get up off the damned floor.