PDA

View Full Version : Home-Building Guides

Johnny Ringo
29th June 2010, 11:15 PM
I hope this is the right forum, and I'm not duplicating anything already posted, but does anyone have any recommendations on a source for building plans for houses?

I'm looking for ideas for my unimproved property - I'm thinking about a small dwelling for the immediate future, and then either expanding or building a larger home later. Naturally, I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible.

I've seen sites for cabin plans that have potential, but I'd like to explore a few other options. I've ordered a couple of books - Mini House Now by Agata Losantos, and Independent Builder by Sam Clark. I know the Independent Builder has been used as a college/vo-tech textbook, and I think the first one may also be used for some design courses. I'll try to remember to post reviews once I've looked through them.

Any other recommendations?

Horn
29th June 2010, 11:33 PM
What size you looking for?

Check your messages

AOW
30th June 2010, 08:04 AM
I'm also beginning a build of a cabin on remote mountain property and any ideas for simplifying would be greatly appreciated. I'm going for 14 ft by 24 ft with a loft and it'lll be on a platform with a pole foundation.

Horn
30th June 2010, 08:16 AM
Well shoot, look at all these fellas thinking of building in a depressed market?

Good time to though.

If this ain't a bottom in building, then there won't be any chart there in the future. 8)

cedarchopper
30th June 2010, 09:06 AM
Well shoot, look at all these fellas thinking of building in a depressed market?

Good time to though.

If this ain't a bottom in building, then there won't be any chart there in the future. 8)

Humans building is as natural as a bird building a nest...what is unnatural is all the cookie cutter, highly regulated, and industrial building methods...and mortgaged. That chart may disappear.

Horn
30th June 2010, 09:13 AM

Good time to though.

Humans building is as natural as a bird building a nest...what is unnatural is all the cookie cutter, highly regulated, and industrial building methods...and mortgaged. That chart may disappear.

Only after "they" disappear.

Most (if not more everyday) places, you are not allowed to build with anything but, either or a certain #of those items.

SLV^GLD
30th June 2010, 09:16 AM
My wife and I have been seriously looking into building. So far we have found it far more economical to pick up an older style home. By older style we mean one built between 1850 and 1930, designed for off-the grid living because it was built pre-grid. Building such a thing seems to be a monumental task as opposed to taking one off someone's hands.

ximmy
30th June 2010, 11:31 AM
If your planning to build larger in the future, you might consider a camper or mobile home to start with.

cedarchopper
30th June 2010, 12:08 PM
One lesson I have learned in building and developing raw property is DO NOT build the barn or workshop first. All building projects cost more and take longer than planned because of the simple fact that we are by nature optimists and don't plan for setbacks and unforeseen issues. Start on the house first and use it as the workshop to get the house built. That way you have a place to live on the land, and if everything goes perfect, you can then build the barns, workshop, and outbuildings...otherwise, you end up living in what was intended to be the barn or give up.

Mill Man
3rd July 2010, 09:28 AM
Check into yurts if you haven't already. They are an interesting alternative I've been looking into a bit lately for the future.

zap
3rd July 2010, 10:12 AM
Depending on what part of the country you are in , you could try a steel building our house is.

We went this way because my late husband was a sheet metal guy and any extra parts or pieces we could make in the shop, It is clear span with red iron every 8',
frame in the rooms anyway you like, I haven't checked the prices latley but it was cost effective for us and where we are at we wanted something that won't burn, also used hardy plank for the siding.

http://www.metalhomes.com/