PDA

View Full Version : observations on selling 1/2 ounce of gold

chad
30th June 2010, 12:49 PM
the wife + i are taking our kids to disney world this next week. we have to be there for an all expense paid (except the disney part) conference anyway, so we figured, "why not?"

i sold a valcambi 1/2 ounce round of au which paid for 5 day passes for the 4 of us.

a piece of metal smaller than the size of a quarter paid for this.

i was humbled.

Quantum
30th June 2010, 12:52 PM
You sold an asset that will be doubled in value within 1 to 2 years for some Mickey Mouse scheme of a vacation?

;D

mamboni
30th June 2010, 12:53 PM
Imagine how you'll feel when a piece of the metal the size of a silver half dollar buys the entire park.

Of course, if that ever happened a can of spam would buy a car. ::)

Ponce
30th June 2010, 12:53 PM
Remember that in the 1920's this kid bought a hotel with one oz of gold that was the beginning to one of the biggest chain of hotels in the world........and like my X told me, in Cambodia one oz of gold bought one can of sardine.

chad
30th June 2010, 12:56 PM
You sold an asset that will be doubled in value within 1 to 2 years for some Mickey Mouse scheme of a vacation?

;D

i have enough of it that 1/2 of an ounce won't matter at all in the larger scheme of things. ;D

platinumdude
30th June 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm going to cambodia to sell sardines.

chad
30th June 2010, 12:57 PM
I'm going to cambodia to sell sardines.

that's what i was thinking.

DMac
30th June 2010, 01:04 PM
Remember that in the 1920's this kid bought a hotel with one oz of gold that was the beginning to one of the biggest chain of hotels in the world........and like my X told me, in Cambodia one oz of gold bought one can of sardine.

I think this story has gotten (just like every fish tale) a little bigger each time it is told. Usually I have read it as a reference to how the Hilton Hotel chain was started. Not quite true though. Conrad Hilton bought his first hotel, the Mobley Hotel, in 1919 in Cisco, Texas for $35,000.

cedarchopper
30th June 2010, 01:09 PM

I think this story has gotten (just like every fish tale) a little bigger each time it is told. Usually I have read it as a reference to how the Hilton Hotel chain was started. Not quite true though. Conrad Hilton bought his first hotel, the Mobley Hotel, in 1919 in Cisco, Texas for $35,000.

Which was 175 +/- oz's of gold in 1919.

Ponce
30th June 2010, 01:13 PM
DMac? I read that it was in Germany...........

Dude? already got my ticket for Cambodia with my 50 cases of tuna......

DMac
30th June 2010, 01:21 PM

Could be Germany Ponce, I'll look into it. I've heard the story told as the start of the Hilton Hotels, which I looked up and found to be just a tad north of 1 ounce of gold in starting price (ty cedarchopper, 175 oz, wow. He was already rich).

cedarchopper
30th June 2010, 01:28 PM

Could be Germany Ponce, I'll look into it. I've heard the story told as the start of the Hilton Hotels, which I looked up and found to be just a tad north of 1 ounce of gold in starting price (ty cedarchopper, 175 oz, wow. He was already rich).

The best way to make a small fortune is to start with a large one :]

Silver Rocket Bitches!
30th June 2010, 01:40 PM
Good for you.

Memories are worth more than metal.

At least until TSHTF....

BrewTech
30th June 2010, 01:45 PM
Nothing wrong with selling a halfer to do something cool with your family. What else are you living for?

As for it doubling in value over the next 1-2 years, who gives a sh*t? You might be dead tomorrow. Now is a good time to be enjoying life a little, if you can, and that doesn't mean either sitting home watching Idol, or sitting in your basement waiting for the S to HTF.

I prepped my ass off 2 years ago, thinking the poo-flinging was imminent. I've decided to start living again, while keeping my eyes open.

uranian
30th June 2010, 01:59 PM
offtopic, brewtech, i just noticed that you're drumble. bring back the old avatar, dude! that was an impressive forehead.

chad
30th June 2010, 02:02 PM
Nothing wrong with selling a halfer to do something cool with your family. What else are you living for?

As for it doubling in value over the next 1-2 years, who gives a sh*t? You might be dead tomorrow. Now is a good time to be enjoying life a little, if you can, and that doesn't mean either sitting home watching Idol, or sitting in your basement waiting for the S to HTF.

I prepped my ass off 2 years ago, thinking the poo-flinging was imminent. I've decided to start living again, while keeping my eyes open.

i'm there. i've prepped like crazy for 2 or 3 years. there comes a point where you have to go outside.\

for me, that will be the haunted mansion. ;D

Uncle Salty
30th June 2010, 02:52 PM
Congrats on enjoying life a little before the apocalypse.

I am sure it wasn't your last bit of gold.

sunshine05
30th June 2010, 03:02 PM
Sounds great Chad. I hope you all enjoy your Disney trip!

StackerKen
30th June 2010, 03:17 PM

Agreed and me too.

We shouldn't sit here on the edge of our seats with tin foil hats and gas masks wait for STHTF

Ya gotta live and ya gotta have some fun.....(and be ready to die at the same time).

Know one knows what tomorrow will bring. (but it will more than likely be a lot like today)

zap
30th June 2010, 03:26 PM
Yep, I am as prepped as I am going to get I too will keep my eyes open, But we gotta get on with life before its gone. In fact I will be planning a big Disneyland trip in Sept. ;D

silversurfer
30th June 2010, 03:48 PM

at $20 per oz that would be more like 1750 oz's of gold in 1919

cedarchopper
30th June 2010, 04:42 PM

at $20 per oz that would be more like 1750 oz's of gold in 1919

You're right! He was already a 'current' millionaire when he started.

beefsteak
30th June 2010, 05:02 PM
Congrats, Chad for not charging it to plastic!

Gold ----> family. Family -----> gold.

Family=gold allright. Your kids will only be kids once. Take lots of pix, old fashioned point and shoot kind, as well as the digi ones.

beef

gunDriller
30th June 2010, 05:09 PM

;D

a vacation is a vacation. and if the 1/2 was purchased a few years ago, even better.

i like Country Bear Jamboree, myself. 8)

platinumdude
30th June 2010, 05:50 PM

Agreed and me too.

We shouldn't sit here on the edge of our seats with tin foil hats and gas masks wait for STHTF

Ya gotta live and ya gotta have some fun.....(and be ready to die at the same time).

Know one knows what tomorrow will bring. (but it will more than likely be a lot like today)

Gas masks.... Must remember to buy gas masks.