PDA

View Full Version : Six Months to Go Until The Largest Tax Hikes in History

platinumdude
1st July 2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.atr.org/six-months-untilbr-largest-tax-hikes-a5171

In just six months, the largest tax hikes in the history of America will take effect. They will hit families and small businesses in three great waves on January 1, 2011:

First Wave: Expiration of 2001 and 2003 Tax Relief

In 2001 and 2003, the GOP Congress enacted several tax cuts for investors, small business owners, and families. These will all expire on January 1, 2011:

Personal income tax rates will rise. The top income tax rate will rise from 35 to 39.6 percent (this is also the rate at which two-thirds of small business profits are taxed). The lowest rate will rise from 10 to 15 percent. All the rates in between will also rise. Itemized deductions and personal exemptions will again phase out, which has the same mathematical effect as higher marginal tax rates. The full list of marginal rate hikes is below:

- The 10% bracket rises to an expanded 15%
- The 25% bracket rises to 28%
- The 28% bracket rises to 31%
- The 33% bracket rises to 36%
- The 35% bracket rises to 39.6%

Higher taxes on marriage and family. The “marriage penalty” (narrower tax brackets for married couples) will return from the first dollar of income. The child tax credit will be cut in half from $1000 to $500 per child. The standard deduction will no longer be doubled for married couples relative to the single level. The dependent care and adoption tax credits will be cut.

The return of the Death Tax. This year, there is no death tax. For those dying on or after January 1 2011, there is a 55 percent top death tax rate on estates over $1 million. A person leaving behind two homes and a retirement account could easily pass along a death tax bill to their loved ones.

Higher tax rates on savers and investors. The capital gains tax will rise from 15 percent this year to 20 percent in 2011. The dividends tax will rise from 15 percent this year to 39.6 percent in 2011. These rates will rise another 3.8 percent in 2013.

Second Wave: Obamacare

There are over twenty new or higher taxes in Obamacare. Several will first go into effect on January 1, 2011. They include:

The “Medicine Cabinet Tax” Thanks to Obamacare, Americans will no longer be able to use health savings account (HSA), flexible spending account (FSA), or health reimbursement (HRA) pre-tax dollars to purchase non-prescription, over-the-counter medicines (except insulin).

The “Special Needs Kids Tax” This provision of Obamacare imposes a cap on flexible spending accounts (FSAs) of $2500 (Currently, there is no federal government limit). There is one group of FSA owners for whom this new cap will be particularly cruel and onerous: parents of special needs children. There are thousands of families with special needs children in the United States, and many of them use FSAs to pay for special needs education. Tuition rates at one leading school that teaches special needs children in Washington, D.C. (National Child Research Center) can easily exceed $14,000 per year. Under tax rules, FSA dollars can be used to pay for this type of special needs education.

The HSA Withdrawal Tax Hike. This provision of Obamacare increases the additional tax on non-medical early withdrawals from an HSA from 10 to 20 percent, disadvantaging them relative to IRAs and other tax-advantaged accounts, which remain at 10 percent.

Third Wave: The Alternative Minimum Tax and Employer Tax Hikes

When Americans prepare to file their tax returns in January of 2011, they’ll be in for a nasty surprise—the AMT won’t be held harmless, and many tax relief provisions will have expired. The major items include:

The AMT will ensnare over 28 million families, up from 4 million last year. According to the left-leaning Tax Policy Center, Congress’ failure to index the AMT will lead to an explosion of AMT taxpaying families—rising from 4 million last year to 28.5 million. These families will have to calculate their tax burdens twice, and pay taxes at the higher level. The AMT was created in 1969 to ensnare a handful of taxpayers.

Small business expensing will be slashed and 50% expensing will disappear. Small businesses can normally expense (rather than slowly-deduct, or “depreciate”) equipment purchases up to $250,000. This will be cut all the way down to $25,000. Larger businesses can expense half of their purchases of equipment. In January of 2011, all of it will have to be “depreciated.”

Taxes will be raised on all types of businesses. There are literally scores of tax hikes on business that will take place. The biggest is the loss of the “research and experimentation tax credit,” but there are many, many others. Combining high marginal tax rates with the loss of this tax relief will cost jobs.

Tax Benefits for Education and Teaching Reduced. The deduction for tuition and fees will not be available. Tax credits for education will be limited. Teachers will no longer be able to deduct classroom expenses. Coverdell Education Savings Accounts will be cut. Employer-provided educational assistance is curtailed. The student loan interest deduction will be disallowed for hundreds of thousands of families.

Charitable Contributions from IRAs no longer allowed. Under current law, a retired person with an IRA can contribute up to $100,000 per year directly to a charity from their IRA. This contribution also counts toward an annual “required minimum distribution.” This ability will no longer be there.

BrewTech
1st July 2010, 04:18 PM
Well... let's see who is able to pay this time around, and who isn't. Should be long term interesting.

StackerKen
1st July 2010, 05:36 PM
Not for me...Im getting one of these

https://www.atr.org/files/images/ObamaCardFront_web.jpg

https://www.atr.org/files/images/ObamaCardBack_web.jpg

sirgonzo420
1st July 2010, 06:10 PM

+K

:D

Ponce
1st July 2010, 06:13 PM
Not working, no kids, no wife and no nothing..........the only way that they could get me is by means of my home, higher taxes, of my Social Security.......everything else is cash and pm at hand....................I hate to say this again but..........

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

Plastic
1st July 2010, 06:21 PM
Pretty much the same here Ponce, I earn just enough to stay under the federal income tax rape and still (currently) have enough left over for 5 - 10 oz's of silver every month (yah I know that is chump change for alot of folks here). It is amazing how far FRN's go when you grow your own food and purchase PM's to preserve your financial wealth.

Admittedly I miss the E6 pay I used to get while active navy, but those people can go f'k themselves as I am free and pissed off now.

Quantum
1st July 2010, 06:23 PM

Anyone gonna try to hold the fvcker to that promise?

chinmusic
1st July 2010, 06:33 PM
I am getting scared for my family. Usually I am pretty upbeat, glass half-full kinda guy.

Anyone with their eyes and ears open can see this is not going to end well and people are going to get hurt.

I have resisted for a few years the urge to just cash out my IRAs and take the tax whooping that goes with it. I am really torn. In the end these savings are going to be used to either penalize me with taxes now, or as a way to make me ineligible for something (Social Security?) at retirement, a kind of penalty for being prudent and planning ahead for my golden years.

These tax hikes on the horizon make me think it is time to jump.

I would appreciate other thoughts on this.

wildcard
1st July 2010, 06:37 PM
Reduce your footprint. Disappear as much as you can. Don't pay and if you must pay, drag it out, make it expensive to the system. If we all work together we can drag this baby to a stop.

Liquid
1st July 2010, 06:48 PM
You could roll things into a Roth IRA, before the big tax hikes. Yes, you'd take a hit now, but with the Roth, no taxes down the road.

The Roth IRA is the only thing left in the 'system' I actively put into. The rest can hold, or be lost, etc. The whole point of the Roth is to pay taxes now, and be safe for the future.

Quantum
1st July 2010, 06:57 PM
The whole point of the Roth is to pay taxes now, and be safe for the future.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Some people never learn.

Paper is NOT "safe." Electronic is even less "safe."

And anyone who trusts in the promises of the US government is an idiot.

The likelihood of all IRAs being nationalized into the Social Security "Trust" Fund is near 100%.

chad
1st July 2010, 06:59 PM
You could roll things into a Roth IRA, before the big tax hikes. Yes, you'd take a hit now, but with the Roth, no taxes down the road.

The Roth IRA is the only thing left in the 'system' I actively put into. The rest can hold, or be lost, etc. The whole point of the Roth is to pay taxes now, and be safe for the future.

this is a joke post, correct?

wildcard
1st July 2010, 06:59 PM
And if not nationalized, taxed in and taxed out. Inflated to worthlessness.

Quantum
1st July 2010, 07:03 PM
I am getting scared for my family. Usually I am pretty upbeat, glass half-full kinda guy.

Anyone with their eyes and ears open can see this is not going to end well and people are going to get hurt.

I have resisted for a few years the urge to just cash out my IRAs and take the tax whooping that goes with it. I am really torn. In the end these savings are going to be used to either penalize me with taxes now, or as a way to make me ineligible for something (Social Security?) at retirement, a kind of penalty for being prudent and planning ahead for my golden years.

"Your life, as it has been, is over. You will service, us."

PEOPLE! Time to accept the facts, and realize what you've known is ending, right now. What worked in the recent past will no longer work. What worked for your parents is gone forever. What your grandparents gave up - money in cookie jars, between the wall boards, under the mattress - has returned to offer you a life-preserver, if you're willing to turn to such "old fashioned" ways.

Cash transactions only. Savings in metals, only. At this point in an insane world, if you still persist in "investing" or "saving" in banks, the stock market, or other cheap-ass promises of someone else, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE EVERY PENNY.

What cannot be tracked cannot be taxed.

Book
1st July 2010, 07:07 PM

:o

Liquid
1st July 2010, 07:12 PM
OK, point taken, you folks aren't fans of the Roth IRA.

For me, it's the last tie to the 'system'. I know, I probably won't see my pension from work, or my IRA, will be rolled into some BS gov program.

But, with the roth, you've already paid taxes on that money. Yes, it can be inflated into nothing....but I've got PM's to hedge against that.

If they try and take the roth, that's blunt theft, that's after tax earnings taken. I don't believe that will happen.

Book
1st July 2010, 07:20 PM
If they try and take the roth, that's blunt theft, that's after tax earnings taken. I don't believe that will happen.

http://www.chironcoins.com/confiscation%20banner%20pic%201.jpg

Yeah...our government would never do something like that. This is America for gawdsake.

:oo-->

wildcard
1st July 2010, 07:23 PM
Boating Accident is a firm believer of the system. He used to work for it (as an enforcer).

Steal
1st July 2010, 07:31 PM
Did not see anyone mention, so I will assume the op's link works for everyone but me?

wildcard
1st July 2010, 07:33 PM
I think it's a paid subscription newsletter Steal

Gaillo
1st July 2010, 11:28 PM
Previously posts past this point on this thread have been split off and moved to the thunderdome, to avoid having to "fill out the paperwork" for multiple bans this evening, which I REALLY don't want to do this close to bedtime.

Link to Thunderdome thread:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/general-discussion/thread-derail-six-months-to-go-until-the-largest-tax-hikes-in-history/

-Gaillo

Twisted Titan
3rd July 2010, 04:55 AM

"Your life, as it has been, is over. You will service, us."

PEOPLE! Time to accept the facts, and realize what you've known is ending, right now. What worked in the recent past will no longer work. What worked for your parents is gone forever. What your grandparents gave up - money in cookie jars, between the wall boards, under the mattress - has returned to offer you a life-preserver, if you're willing to turn to such "old fashioned" ways.

Cash transactions only. Savings in metals, only. At this point in an insane world, if you still persist in "investing" or "saving" in banks, the stock market, or other cheap-ass promises of someone else, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE EVERY PENNY.

What cannot be tracked cannot be taxed.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.............

T

chinmusic
9th July 2010, 03:32 AM
The power of the internet.....after reading people's responses I thought long and hard and made the jump. Liquidated all of my IRAs yesterday and waiting on the redemption checks in the mail.
It burns my ass the taxes that are being skimmed off the top, but....what are ya gonna do? The wife was a surprise when I told her what I was thinking and asked her opinion. She said she felt it was the right thing to do and that we need to go for a few boat rides this summer. ;D Totally unexpected response from her but brought a big smile to my face

oldmansmith
9th July 2010, 03:55 AM
The power of the internet.....after reading people's responses I thought long and hard and made the jump. Liquidated all of my IRAs yesterday and waiting on the redemption checks in the mail.
It burns my ass the taxes that are being skimmed off the top, but....what are ya gonna do? The wife was a surprise when I told her what I was thinking and asked her opinion. She said she felt it was the right thing to do and that we need to go for a few boat rides this summer. ;D Totally unexpected response from her but brought a big smile to my face

Good move! I've done the same, but over a few years time. Not all out ( I still have gold & silver in a Sterling Trust IRA), but I used the money to pay off the mortgage and buy little round things. No regrets, I have a big garden, heat with free wood, and Mrs. Old has a good job. I don't need to get a paycheck at all now.

gunDriller
9th July 2010, 07:11 AM
i don't have a lot of sympathy for wealthy people that have to pay 10% more in taxes ... as an example.

for them, that might be the difference between a second or a third vacation home. a McLaren vs. a Porsche.

for poor & middle class people, that tax money is rent money. money for a simple camping vacation. braces or no braces for a child with wonky teeth.

i always had the impression that the Bush tax cuts primarily benefited the wealthy. for them to be rescinded doesn't bother me, per se.

for taxes to be raised on the poor & middle class - that's much different.

one of my reference points for judging wealthy people is a wealthy cousin in Sweden, Mariana. they have racehorses, a vacation home in the Swedish country-side and in Switzerland, etc. they also seem to be completely at ease with the supposedly high Swedish tax rates. they enjoy their life, pay their taxes ... and probably have a very good accountant.

another reference point, some wealthy friends in San Diego. an engineer friend that married a trust-fund baby. they will spend $140 on a bottle of wine as easily as i price-shop to get coffee filters on sale for $1.39. they k'vetch about politicians & taxes all the time, BUT, in all the time i've known them, their lifestyle has never been crimped by anything. the trust-fund baby & her sister are about to inherit another $100 Million (their Dad owns 2 banks, and is getting old.) Let the government tax them. if they have to economize and buy a $50 bottle of Chateau Montelena Chardonnay - so what ?

now that i've possibly put my foot in my mouth - are these tax raises going to affect GS-US'ers much ?

General of Darkness
9th July 2010, 07:27 AM
now that i've possibly put my foot in my mouth - are these tax raises going to affect GS-US'ers much ?

It's going to cost me about 150 ounces of silver based on current spot prices.

GD, on another note, I do agree with you because I've been around rich people a large portion of my life and they are some of the meanest and cheapest F'rs on the planet, and NO I'm not talking just about jews, I'm talking about all of them. But for me, I don't want other people's money, I've NEVER asked for handouts. The ONLY thing I do want is equality across the board, but with this rigged system that will never happen. >:(

gunDriller
9th July 2010, 11:59 AM
It's going to cost me about 150 ounces of silver based on current spot prices.

that's like $3000 or $2800.

between the tax raises in 2011 and the new taxes in 2012, and the new humongous penalties being levied by the IRS for the simple act of non-disclosure, i feel like i'm dealing with a real version of what is depicted in the movies.

in Star Wars it was those Empire soldiers with the white body armor.

it seems like the US gov. is creating the pre-conditions for a civil war that revolves around the concept of No Taxation without Representation.

what's odd is, some of the laws that are causing the most heartburn raise a minimal amount of money. i have the impression that the Obama-care 1099 $600 law is only expected to bring in $20 billion. they might as well print the $20 billion.

chinmusic
9th July 2010, 02:30 PM
These tax increases are going to effect me in just increasing my resolve to keep more for me and mine. As stated by another poster, my mindset has reverted to what I remember my grandparents talking about. Cash on hand, value your money in what it buys and in how much work it took to earn a buck.

I expect the biggest backlash to be from those making a lower yearly income. Percentage wise it is a fairly significant increase in taxes and will be a severe wake-up call to some of Obama's supporters about what all of the entitlement programs cost.