PDA

View Full Version : FELONY

Book
2nd July 2010, 08:12 AM
http://media.ktvb.com/images/470*264/Gooden-graphic.jpg

BOISE – A Meridian man faces a felony charge after police say he became upset at a video game he was playing in a downtown Boise bar early this morning and struck the game with his fist.

Dustin N. Gooden, 30, was booked into the Ada County Jail on a charge of malicious injury to property.

Boise Police responded to a disturbance at a bar on the 600 block of West Main Street around 2 a.m. Thursday.

Bar employees say Gooden, who appeared to be very intoxicated, became angry at a video game and hit it with his fist. The impact caused the screen to shatter and left Gooden with cuts on his hand. Medical personnel were called to treat his injury.

Police say damage to the video game is estimated to be around $3,000. Because the damage exceeds $1,000, Gooden was charged with a felony.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Meridian-man-arrested-after-striking-bar-video-game-97599859.html

:o

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:16 AM
He allegedly fucked up someone's property... do you think he should win a medal or something?

???

Cebu_4_2
2nd July 2010, 10:06 AM
Always been anything over 1K is a felony, weather it being stealing a radio from a car or pissing on prized roses.

platinumdude
2nd July 2010, 10:20 AM
Always been anything over 1K is a felony, weather it being stealing a radio from a car or pissing on prized roses.

With all of this inflation, they should probably double it.

JohnQPublic
2nd July 2010, 10:48 AM

$1000 when the law was writen was probably a lot more substantial than it is now.

Quixote2
2nd July 2010, 10:52 AM
When charged with a felony, can you insist on a jury trial?

Conviction of a felony means no voting, no guns, etc.

k-os
2nd July 2010, 10:53 AM
I have been in bars where guys like this were there. It's pretty scary to witness unexplained rage from a stranger twice your size. A felony is pretty harsh, but seriously, these guys should try to get a grip on their drinking or their emotions or whatever.

Friends don't let friends behave like fools in public.

Cebu_4_2
2nd July 2010, 11:17 AM
Friends don't let friends behave like fools in public.

Friends don't have friends like that. If you can't handle drinking then dont drink.

Ash_Williams
2nd July 2010, 11:38 AM
He's probably an idiot but does charging him with a felony do anything to pay for the damage? He didn't actually hurt anyone and could have just been kidding around. I broke off a truck mirror that way once, not realizing how crappily built it was.

Tell him to come up with $3500 to cover the game and any lost revenue... stick him in prison only if that doesn't work out.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 11:53 AM
He allegedly f*cked up someone's property... do you think he should win a medal or something?

???

He should have to replace the damn thing, and that is all.

Prison and permanent loss of God-given rights over that?

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 11:59 AM
He allegedly f*cked up someone's property... do you think he should win a medal or something?

???

He should have to replace the damn thing, and that is all.

Prison and permanent loss of God-given rights over that?

I agree, but still, what does book expect?

For property damage to not be a crime?

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 12:01 PM
If we want to bitch about felonies, lets bitch about felony drug charges, where there is no victim.

In this case, there was a victim, and so there is a CRIME.

General of Darkness
2nd July 2010, 12:01 PM
The charges will be dropped and the debt will be paid, unless the prosecutor has a hair up his ass.

Hermie
2nd July 2010, 12:11 PM
The charges will be dropped and the debt will be paid, unless the prosecutor has a hair up his ass.

Unless the prosecutor has plans to run for higher office and wants convictions. (Nifong)
But that is what should be done; debt paid, charges dropped.

wildcard
2nd July 2010, 12:14 PM
Let's hope they're dropped. They should have never been filed in the first place. If the drunk guy was arrested on the spot, he was probably lippy with the cops that came for him and they decided to up the charges.

They are just getting people used to hearing felony charge for everything from jaywalking to not coming to a complete stop at the four way.

gunDriller
2nd July 2010, 12:20 PM
once i was driving my '69 VW bug and talking to a friend in the passenger seat.

i punched the windshield lightly to make a point.

it cracked.

i did not turn myself in.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 12:21 PM
Let's hope they're dropped. They should have never been filed in the first place. If the drunk guy was arrested on the spot, he was probably lippy with the cops that came for him and they decided to up the charges.

They are just getting people used to hearing felony charge for everything from jaywalking to not coming to a complete stop at the four way.

Except this is different from jaywalking and not coming to a complete stop at a four way.... in this case, he destroyed property.

Jaywalking and most traffic violations are VICTIMLESS CRIMES.

Destroying property is NOT A VICTIMLESS CRIME.

I agree, the guy should pay for the damages and it should be over with - he shouldn't be locked up for life or anything, but pretending he didn't commit a crime is asinine.

k-os
2nd July 2010, 12:21 PM
once i was driving my '69 VW bug and talking to a friend in the passenger seat.

i punched the windshield lightly to make a point.

it cracked.

i did not turn myself in.

It might not be too late. What's the statute of limitations on destruction of one's own property? ;D

wildcard
2nd July 2010, 12:22 PM
I'm sure the pigs can arrange a weekend in jail to sort things out.

General of Darkness
2nd July 2010, 12:25 PM
I agree, the guy should pay for the damages and it should be over with - he shouldn't be locked up for life or anything, but pretending he didn't commit a crime is asinine.

The Federal Reserve, fractional banking, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and not protecting the border are crimes that are both massive in expense and loss of life yet NO ONE is charged for anything. It's a fucked up world we live in.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 12:32 PM

The Federal Reserve, fractional banking, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and not protecting the border are crimes that are both massive in expense and loss of life yet NO ONE is charged for anything. It's a f*cked up world we live in.

You're right.

ALL CRIMINALS should be held accountable for their actions.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 12:37 PM
Except this is different from jaywalking and not coming to a complete stop at a four way.... in this case, he destroyed property.

It SHOULDN'T BE A "CRIME" AT ALL...unless he refused to replace it. He got mad, he smashed the damn thing, he should be given an opportunity to simply replace it.

Is knocking a plate off a counter in a china shop a "crime"?

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 12:37 PM

The Federal Reserve, fractional banking, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and not protecting the border are crimes that are both massive in expense and loss of life yet NO ONE is charged for anything. It's a f*cked up world we live in.

You're right.

But we all know THAT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

Instead, we have to lock up the LITTLE PEOPLE to pretend "we're tough on crime."

Book
2nd July 2010, 12:38 PM
I agree, but still, what does book expect? For property damage to not be a crime?

http://todaystoptoys.com/images/Marvel-Heroes-vs-Villains-Pinball-Machine.jpg

You think him punching a pinball machine warrants the same as him punching your face? Misdemeanor property damage and restitution seems fair. Many people get drunk in bars and behave foolishly. Felony for hitting a pinball machine while drunk in a bar is absurd.

:oo-->

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 12:45 PM

It SHOULDN'T BE A "CRIME" AT ALL...unless he refused to replace it. He got mad, he smashed the damn thing, he should be given an opportunity to simply replace it.

Destruction of someone else's property is a crime, yes.

However, usually a deal can be worked out wherein the person who destroyed property (accidentally or on purpose) agrees to compensate the owner for the damages.

But you can't just go around breaking people's shit and expect everything to be ok.

Also, some things have sentimental value, and can't be replaced.

You can't just break something of somebody's just because you can afford to buy them a new one.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 12:46 PM

You're right.

But we all know THAT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

Instead, we have to lock up the LITTLE PEOPLE to pretend "we're tough on crime."

We can't/won't catch the BIG criminals so we should let the "small" criminals get off without consequence?

Is that what you are saying?

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 12:49 PM
I agree, but still, what does book expect? For property damage to not be a crime?

You think him punching a pinball machine warrants the same as him punching your face? Misdemeanor property damage and restitution seems fair. Many people get drunk in bars and behave foolishly. Felony for hitting a pinball machine while drunk in a bar is absurd.

I see misdemeanor/felony as semantics (except that felons have a hard time owning firearms... :-\ ) - the guy destroyed property.

That is a crime.

No, he shouldn't lose his right to own a firearm, but he is still committed a crime and created a victim.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 12:51 PM
We can't/won't catch the BIG criminals so we should let the "small" criminals get off without consequence?

Punishment should fit the genuine crime.

You and I are in agreement that drug consumption "crimes" are no crimes at all.

I also believe that most crimes or "crimes" are punished for punishment's sake, not for justice.

Being poor or stupid always results in "enhanced penalties."

philo beddoe
2nd July 2010, 12:51 PM

I see misdemeanor/felony as semantics (except that felons have a hard time owning firearms... :-\ ) - the guy destroyed property.

That is a crime.

No, he shouldn't lose his right to own a firearm, but he is still committed a crime and created a victim.
Technically, he should be able to sue the bar for getting him too intoxicated.....

StackerKen
2nd July 2010, 12:52 PM
If the charges are dropped I'm sure any pissant attorney could have the charge reduced to a misdemeanor

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 12:54 PM

Punishment should fit the genuine crime.

You and I are in agreement that drug consumption "crimes" are no crimes at all.

I also believe that most crimes or "crimes" are punished for punishment's sake, not for justice.

Being poor or stupid always results in "enhanced penalties."

I agree.

General of Darkness
2nd July 2010, 01:00 PM
Not shit Book, I forgot about that.

About 15 years ago, some a hole started running his mouth, so I punched him in the face, and then his buddy sucker punched me from the side. Cost me $1,500 bucks in dental work. No felony charges, nothing. It just goes to show, as human beings we're worth less than a computer game.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 01:08 PM
Not sh*t Book, I forgot about that.

About 15 years ago, some a hole started running his mouth, so I punched him in the face, and then his buddy sucker punched me from the side. Cost me $1,500 bucks in dental work. No felony charges, nothing. It just goes to show, as human beings we're worth less than a computer game.

Apparently, you didn't press charges...

And even if you did - you were the one who first got violent.

"sticks and stones..."

Book
2nd July 2010, 01:11 PM
I see misdemeanor/felony as semantics (except that felons have a hard time owning firearms...

Mr. Gooden appears to be a decent guy who got drunk in a bar and lost his temper causing property damage to a pinball machine. We all agree that he should pay for that property damage. He already got his photo published in the newspaper and will incur legal expenses. That should be enough punishment.

Imagine actually LIVING his life wherein you find yourself getting drunk in a bar playing a pinball machine. Feeding quarters into that machine for five minutes of escape from the world you LIVE in. Buying another beer when reality starts reappearing in your mind: Obama your President. Jews controlling your world. Your children facing the National Debt living in eternal slavery. Maybe your wife leaving you. Maybe losing your job in this economy.

Yeah...he has anger issues. He should be convicted of a Felony for getting mad and not staying home peacefully watching Dancing With The Stars or posting at GSUS.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 01:20 PM
I see misdemeanor/felony as semantics (except that felons have a hard time owning firearms...

Mr. Gooden appears to be a decent guy who got drunk in a bar and lost his temper causing property damage to a pinball machine. We all agree that he should pay for that property damage. He already got his photo published in the newspaper and will incur legal expenses. That should be enough punishment.

Imagine actually LIVING his life wherein you find yourself getting drunk in a bar playing a pinball machine. Feeding quarters into that machine for five minutes of escape from the world you LIVE in. Buying another beer when reality starts reappearing in your mind: Obama your President. Jews controlling your world. Your children facing the National Debt living in eternal slavery. Maybe your wife leaving you. Maybe losing your job in this economy.

Yeah...he has anger issues. He should be convicted of a Felony for getting mad and not staying home peacefully watching Dancing With The Stars or posting at GSUS.

Instead of staying home peacefully and watching TV or posting here, he was getting drunk, playing a video game, and getting mad and hitting it because he was losing. Wow... that's how ya stick it to the man right there!

He fucked up property.

I don't think he knows a damn thing about jews controlling his world or worries about the national debt, and for all I know, he voted for Obama. But the point is - he destroyed property and should be punished (although paying the owner should generally suffice).

The guy is still a violent, asshole drunk.

Book
2nd July 2010, 01:26 PM

http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/40026/2252064780100752951S500x500Q85.jpg

Go to bars much?

I am me, I am free
2nd July 2010, 01:26 PM

However, usually a deal can be worked out wherein the person who destroyed property (accidentally or on purpose) agrees to compensate the owner for the damages.

But you can't just go around breaking people's sh*t and expect everything to be ok.

You can't just break something of somebody's just because you can afford to buy them a new one.

Of course there are exceptions, e.g. when you're a cop and you're tossing someone's crib and killing their animals for such things as having a personal stash of pot.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 01:28 PM

http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/40026/2252064780100752951S500x500Q85.jpg

Go to bars much?

Can you point out how she's being violent?

General of Darkness
2nd July 2010, 01:29 PM
Not sh*t Book, I forgot about that.

Apparently, you didn't press charges...

And even if you did - you were the one who first got violent.

"sticks and stones..."

He threatened to kick my white ass. I just punched a black guy before he punched me. I've been around the block and know how things will play out when dealing with these people, that's also why I don't do business with jews.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 01:30 PM

But you can't just go around breaking people's sh*t and expect everything to be ok.

Of course there are exceptions, e.g. when you're a cop and you're tossing someone's crib and killing their animals for such things as having a personal stash of pot.

That hasn't/won't happen to me.

It may be "ok" for them to do that to other people (because other people let them)... but they've never kicked down my door.

And if a badged thug DID kick down my door, they would be treated just the way any criminal would be at my house (let's just say I wouldn't exactly fix them tea and crumpets...).

k-os
2nd July 2010, 01:31 PM
Hey Book, what do you have to type into a search engine to get a photograph like that?

Book
2nd July 2010, 01:37 PM
Instead of staying home peacefully and watching TV or posting here, he was getting drunk, playing a video game, and getting mad and hitting it because he was losing.

http://obit-mag.com/media/image/hunter.jpg

Your avatar is ironic...lol.

:D

Book
2nd July 2010, 01:41 PM
Hey Book, what do you have to type into a search engine to get a photograph like that?

I'll bet every female at GSUS can tell stories about how long the lines are for Women's when they just gotta finally use the Men's.

MNeagle
2nd July 2010, 01:50 PM
You'd lose that bet!

k-os
2nd July 2010, 01:53 PM

I'll bet every female at GSUS can tell stories about how long the lines are for Women's when they just gotta finally use the Men's.

Sure, I've used the men's stalls (with doors), but I've never used a urinal. Yikes.

Book
2nd July 2010, 02:00 PM
Anybody else beside sirgonzo420 really think punching a pinball machine in a bar while drunk should be a FELONY?

:)

k-os
2nd July 2010, 02:03 PM
Anybody else beside sirgonzo420 really think punching a pinball machine in a bar while drunk should be a FELONY?

I agree with sirgonzo420 that it is a crime. He should pay for the damages and do community service or something.

Book
2nd July 2010, 02:14 PM
I agree with sirgonzo420 that it is a crime. He should pay for the damages and do community service or something.

You agree with sirgonzo420 that Mr. Gooden should also be convicted of a Felony?:

In many parts of the United States, a convicted felon can face long-term legal consequences persisting after the end of their imprisonment, including:

* Loss of voting rights (which the Supreme Court interpreted to be permitted by the Fourteenth Amendment)
* Exclusion from obtaining certain licences, such as a visa.
* Exclusion from purchase and possession of firearms, ammunition and body armor
* Ineligibility for public office
* Ineligibility for serving on a jury
* Deportation (if the criminal is not a citizen)

Some states also consider a felony conviction to be grounds for an uncontested divorce.

The status and designation as a "convicted felon" is considered permanent, and is not extinguished upon sentence completion even if parole, probation or early release was given.[citation needed] The status can only be cleared by a successful appeal or executive clemency. However, felons may be able to apply for restoration of some rights after a certain period of time has passed.

philo beddoe
2nd July 2010, 02:16 PM

Sure, I've used the men's stalls (with doors), but I've never used a urinal. Yikes.

Book
2nd July 2010, 02:22 PM
philo beddoe topped my photo for sure...LOL.

My point is that people get drunk in bars and do stupid things as the alcohol washes away normal social inhibitions. Punching a pinball machine while drunk in a bar is stupid but should not be a FELONY.

k-os
2nd July 2010, 02:24 PM
You agree with sirgonzo420 that Mr. Gooden should also be convicted of a Felony?:

In many parts of the United States, a convicted felon can face long-term legal consequences persisting after the end of their imprisonment, including:

* Loss of voting rights (which the Supreme Court interpreted to be permitted by the Fourteenth Amendment)

Some states also consider a felony conviction to be grounds for an uncontested divorce.

The status and designation as a "convicted felon" is considered permanent, and is not extinguished upon sentence completion even if parole, probation or early release was given.[citation needed] The status can only be cleared by a successful appeal or executive clemency. However, felons may be able to apply for restoration of some rights after a certain period of time has passed.

Well, no, I guess a felony would be a bit much. A misdemeanor would suffice. But it is still a crime to destroy property, even if you are "just drunk". If that was my bar, I'd want him to pay for the damages and GTFO. Since drunk dude surely does not have the money to pay for the property that he damaged, an official record needs to be made in order to collect from him someday, if ever. That's where the police get involved.

Does anyone here think that drunk dude would pay for the property damage on his own volition without having law enforcement involved? I don't, but I am quite cynical, and having seen his picture only made things worse. He looks like a meat head former jock.

philo beddoe
2nd July 2010, 02:30 PM
blame the govt. Used to be an owner could reserve the right to refuse service to ANYONE they wanted.

Book
2nd July 2010, 02:30 PM
Well, no, I guess a felony would be a bit much. A misdemeanor would suffice.

Exactly.

|--0--|

willie pete
2nd July 2010, 02:39 PM
I don't think it should be a felony, maybe a high-degree misdemeanor, for a non-violent infraction against property and not persons, a felony will follow you forever until you can maybe get it esponged, also I think getting your gun-rights back as a convicted felon is a separate issue, could also cause employment problems too, I'd say make full restitution and sign a trespassing warrant out for the indivdual, so they could'nt come back

philo beddoe
2nd July 2010, 02:44 PM
I don't think it should be a felony, maybe a high-degree misdemeanor, for a non-violent infraction against property and not persons, a felony will follow you forever until you can maybe get it esponged, also I think getting your gun-rights back as a convicted felon is a separate issue, could also cause employment problems too, I'd say make full restitution and sign a trespassing warrant out for the indivdual, so they could'nt come back
If Michael Jackson can pay 20 million for slobbering on a boys penis, I think this guy can pay $3000 to avoid prosecution..gheezh

big country
2nd July 2010, 03:08 PM

So punching the screen with your fist causing it to shatter and your fist get bloody is "non-violent"? I'd hate to see him get violent then!

Also, felony? No. Crime? YES. I only say no to felony because of the loss of rights, otherwise who cares? Make full restitution + an inconvience charge of having to get a new machine and everyone can go about their merry way. Don't have the money to fix what you broke? Forced servitude to the bar owner @ minimum wage (or some other arbitrary number) until the debt is paid.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 03:29 PM
Instead of staying home peacefully and watching TV or posting here, he was getting drunk, playing a video game, and getting mad and hitting it because he was losing.

http://obit-mag.com/media/image/hunter.jpg

Your avatar is ironic...lol.

Hahahahaha!

Yeah well at least my avatar isn't a PUSSY!

http://wesleying.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lime-cat.jpg

willie pete
2nd July 2010, 03:41 PM

So punching the screen with your fist causing it to shatter and your fist get bloody is "non-violent"? I'd hate to see him get violent then!

Also, felony? No. Crime? YES. I only say no to felony because of the loss of rights, otherwise who cares? Make full restitution + an inconvience charge of having to get a new machine and everyone can go about their merry way. Don't have the money to fix what you broke? Forced servitude to the bar owner @ minimum wage (or some other arbitrary number) until the debt is paid.

Sure, punching a screen is violent, but it's directed toward an inanimate object and not an indivdual; to repeat, I think it should be a high-degree misdemeanor and not a felony and he should be made to be responsible for the damage to the property...after reading the statute in question, it appears the intention of the law was to umbrella in possible multiple infractions of vandalism

http://legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2005/S1064.html

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 03:43 PM

Oh book, don't put words in my mouth; you're so much better than that.

I never said it should be a felony, but you and others here are kinda acting like the guy is righteous or something. He destroyed property and is a criminal. Maybe not a HUGE criminal, but still a criminal.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 03:45 PM

Well, no, I guess a felony would be a bit much. A misdemeanor would suffice. But it is still a crime to destroy property, even if you are "just drunk". If that was my bar, I'd want him to pay for the damages and GTFO. Since drunk dude surely does not have the money to pay for the property that he damaged, an official record needs to be made in order to collect from him someday, if ever. That's where the police get involved.

Does anyone here think that drunk dude would pay for the property damage on his own volition without having law enforcement involved? I don't, but I am quite cynical, and having seen his picture only made things worse. He looks like a meat head former jock.

Exactly.

philo beddoe
2nd July 2010, 03:47 PM

I never said it should be a felony, but you and others here are kinda acting like the guy is righteous or something. He destroyed property and is a criminal. Maybe not a HUGE criminal, but still a criminal.

And when the mexicans are taking over your town, do you want this guy next to you with his rifle or do you want him disarmed? easy question

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 04:07 PM

And when the mexicans are taking over your town, do you want this guy next to you with his rifle or do you want him disarmed? easy question

I don't know if I'd want him next to me period.... he's a violent asshole when he's drunk.

Book
2nd July 2010, 04:13 PM
I don't know if I'd want him next to me period.... he's a violent asshole when he's drunk.

http://static.open.salon.com/files/drinks1235884535.jpg

Your bar must be really nice and polite and friendly...lol.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 06:02 PM

We don't often drink... a bottle of mead every now and then at home, but we don't go to bars. Some people can handle alcohol without getting too rowdy and/or violent, and some people can't.

I'd rather deal with a potsmoker than a drunk.

Drunks can be obnoxious, and on occasion, destroyers of property.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 07:43 PM
Yeah well at least my avatar isn't a PUSSY!

http://wesleying.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lime-cat.jpg

Book has the coolest avatar on all of GSUS!

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 07:44 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bar

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 07:46 PM
I will reiterate:

Punching a machine, damaging it, SHOULD NOT BE A CRIME AT ALL, unless the puncher refuses to pay for repairs or replacement.

90% of the "crimes" the government has decreed should be repealed.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 07:46 PM
People who don't support the destruction of property must be patrons of gay bars?

???

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 07:47 PM
I will reiterate:

Punching a machine, damaging it, SHOULD NOT BE A CRIME AT ALL, unless the puncher refuses to pay for repairs or replacement.

90% of the "crimes" the government has decreed should be repealed.

You can't just break peoples' shit and then throw FRNs at them and pretend to not be a criminal.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 07:51 PM
People who don't support the destruction of property must be patrons of gay bars?

???

#1) neither Book nor I "support the destruction of property."

#2) you seem really sensitive, acting all butt-hurt, over a simple JOKE.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 07:53 PM
You can't just break peoples' sh*t and then throw FRNs at them and pretend to not be a criminal.

So you LIKE state intervention in people's affairs?

ROTFLMAO!

Another capitalist materialist exposed as a statist!

"Government good when it supports my property, government bad when it wants a cut for such services."

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:01 PM

???

#1) neither Book nor I "support the destruction of property."

#2) you seem really sensitive, acting all butt-hurt, over a simple JOKE.

hahahaha

I was just wondering what a gay bar has to do with some drunk asshole breaking somebody else's shit.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:01 PM
Government exists to maintain order between people when one or more persons become hostile or otherwise detrimental to the rest of the community.

Law exists to establish standards by which all persons must abide in order to maintain peace in society, when private relationships are insufficient to maintain that order.

I'm really having a belly laugh at someone who pisses & moans about "intrusive government" rabidly advocating the interference in such a private relationship. Running a bar comes with the risk of drunkards acting like drunkards. There was no reason to involve the police, unless the drunkard, once sober, refused to replace the machine he damaged. No "crime" is committed unless an act that presents continued danger to one or more "other persons" exists.

"Justice" means making things right. Punishment for punishment's sake is not justice. And calling damaging property with private restitution a "crime" is exactly that: punishment for punishment's sake.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:02 PM
hahahaha

I was just wondering what a gay bar has to do with some drunk asshole breaking somebody else's sh*t.

Go back, and try again:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/general-discussion/felony/msg73054/#msg73054

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:04 PM
You can't just break peoples' sh*t and then throw FRNs at them and pretend to not be a criminal.

ROTFLMAO!

"Government good when it supports my property, government bad when it wants a cut for such services."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I didn't say anything about government.

Government or not, breaking other peoples' shit is a CRIME.

Throwing bits of worthless paper at the victim doesn't necessarily remedy said CRIME.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:07 PM
My personal property is not for sale.

You cannot break something of mine, say a rifle that my granddaddy handed down to me, and then give me FRNs and expect to be absolved of all responsibility for your actions.

If you STEAL/DESTROY property, you are a CRIMINAL.

CRIMINALS are CRIMINALS whether there is a government or not.

Often times, the gov't is most CRIMINAL.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:11 PM

ROTFLMAO!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Government or not, breaking other peoples' sh*t is a CRIME.

Throwing bits of worthless paper at the victim doesn't necessarily remedy said CRIME.

"Crimes" do not exist without government. Don't try to be a smart-ass.

How did the bar owner buy the machine? With "bits of worthless paper." He didn't build the machine (it was made by Chinese serfs). Don't even try to claim he bought it with gold. Replacing "bits of worthless paper" with an equal amount of "bits of worthless paper" would logically make the bar owner whole. I bet the claim stated is for retail price, not for actual purchase price or replacement cost.

Just bow out, before you make yourself look like an even bigger hypocritical ass, 'k?

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:15 PM

ROTFLMAO!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Government or not, breaking other peoples' sh*t is a CRIME.

"Crimes" do not exist without government. Don't try to be a smart-ass.

How did the bar owner buy the machine? With "bits of worthless paper." He didn't build the machine (it was made by Chinese serfs). Don't even try to claim he bought it with gold. Replacing "bits of worthless paper" with an equal amount of "bits of worthless paper" would logically make the bar owner whole. I bet the claim stated is for retail price, not for actual purchase price or replacement cost.

Just bow out, before you make yourself look like an even bigger hypocritical ass, 'k?

Law exists independent of government; so do crimes.

The difference is that other those who sold him the device for bits of paper AGREED to it. They CONSENTED, which validated the transaction.

If you fuck up my granddaddy's rifle, FRNs won't cut it; there would be no agreement/acceptance. I would want the damn rifle back.

You can't destroy/steal other people's property (without their consent), and expect to not be a criminal.

And NICE PERSONAL ATTACK, by the way.

I have never personally attacked you; I thought you might have some class....

Book
2nd July 2010, 08:17 PM
I see misdemeanor/felony as semantics...

You invited mockery when you posted this. Seriously...rethink this comment and acknowledge your error...lol.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:19 PM

Have we established that "personal property" is at stake in this issue? If not: STRAWMAN.

You cannot break something of mine, say a rifle that my granddaddy handed down to me, and then give me FRNs and expect to be absolved of all responsibility for your actions.

STRAWMAN.

A family heirloom is NOT AT STAKE HERE. A Chinese-built machine that will, in 20 years or less, be a pile of scrap, is at stake.

So, knocking off a plate in a china shop by accident makes one a criminal?

Wow. Just wow.

A "crime" is a transgression of law. "Law" exists only by proclamation of a government, even if only a community or tribal government.

And without government, your wealth would be up for grabs by anyone stronger than you. You capitalist materialists all want your cake and eat it, too.

I fear government not because government exists, but because government is composed of people like you who want to misuse it.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:20 PM
I see misdemeanor/felony as semantics...

You invited mockery when you posted this. Seriously...rethink this comment and acknowledge your error...lol.

I already did - I said it shouldn't be a felony.

But quantum is saying it shouldn't be a crime.

Breaking other people's shit is a CRIME - I don't care what you call it.

And it doesn't matter if you can afford to pay for what you broke; the victim doesn't have to accept your offer. Maybe they don't *want* to replace the damaged goods. Maybe they want the ORIGINAL item that you broke.

If you don't want to be labeled a criminal, don't destroy property.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:25 PM

Have we established that "personal property" is at stake in this issue? If not: STRAWMAN.

STRAWMAN.

A family heirloom is NOT AT STAKE HERE. A Chinese-built machine that will, in 20 years or less, be a pile of scrap, is at stake.

So, knocking off a plate in a china shop by accident makes one a criminal?

Wow. Just wow.

A "crime" is a transgression of law. "Law" exists only by proclamation of a government, even if only a community or tribal government.

And without government, your wealth would be up for grabs by anyone stronger than you. You capitalist materialists all want your cake and eat it, too.

I fear government not because government exists, but because government is composed of people like you who want to misuse it.

Oh, so only heirlooms are protected?

You can break anything of anybodys as long as it was made in china and you can afford to replace it?

Why is the destruction of an heirloom different from the destruction of anything else?

Destruction of property is a CRIME. DAMN.

And regarding the "accident": If you accidentally kill someone, is that a crime? Or just an accident... no big deal....?

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:29 PM
SECOND RESPONSE, since SG completely rewrote this post as I was posting my first response...

"Crimes" are contingent upon transgression of "law." "Law" cannot exist without a government. From whence do you claim "law" comes from?

The difference is that other those who sold him the device for bits of paper AGREED to it. They CONSENTED, which validated the transaction.

Irrelevant. The bar owner accepted the risk of damage or destruction by placing the machine in a public place. It was intended to be used by patrons. This is called "assumption of the risk." The bar owner cannot expect to have the machine replaced only by an exact duplicate, materialized out of thin air.

If you f*ck up my granddaddy's rifle, FRNs won't cut it; there would be no agreement/acceptance. I would want the damn rifle back.

As noted earlier, this is a STRAWMAN, since you are arguing something not relevant to this issue.

You can't destroy/steal other people's property (without their consent), and expect to not be a criminal.

A "crime" requires MALICE. The drunkard did not say, "you're a faqqot SOB, I'm going to wreck your machine." With his diminished capacity due to intoxication, he got mad and took out his frustrations on the machine. NOT A "CRIME."

WHAT "personal attack"? Calling you a hypocritical (jack)ass? I'll apologize if you can explain how that is inaccurate. We can use the Merriam-Webster dictionary to define terms.

As for "never personally attacking me," you've leveled epithets at me, "socialist" namely, not as a benign descriptor, but as an insult.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:34 PM

You can break anything of anybodys as long as it was made in china and you can afford to replace it?

Why is the destruction of an heirloom different from the destruction of anything else?

And regarding the "accident": If you accidentally kill someone, is that a crime? Or just an accident... no big deal....?

God, you argue like a Jew. I can't deal with that.

You're going to look at the world as a materialist, and I, as an idealist (someone who values eternal ideals). Because you regard material things as sacrosanct, and, in particular, kitsch as equivalent to priceless artifacts - a completely illogical position - I really cannot, and have no further desire to, discuss this matter.

Dave Thomas
2nd July 2010, 08:38 PM
One day this guy will smash someone's face. If you can visit such anger on an inanimate object, imagine what some shrill backsassing girlfriend could do.

And no, you can't really replace a face.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:39 PM
SECOND RESPONSE, since SG completely rewrote this post as I was posting my first response...

"Crimes" are contingent upon transgression of "law." "Law" cannot exist without a government. From whence do you claim "law" comes from?

Irrelevant. The bar owner accepted the risk of damage or destruction by placing the machine in a public place. It was intended to be used by patrons. This is called "assumption of the risk." The bar owner cannot expect to have the machine replaced only by an exact duplicate, materialized out of thin air.

If you f*ck up my granddaddy's rifle, FRNs won't cut it; there would be no agreement/acceptance. I would want the damn rifle back.

As noted earlier, this is a STRAWMAN, since you are arguing something not relevant to this issue.

A "crime" requires MALICE. The drunkard did not say, "you're a faqqot SOB, I'm going to wreck your machine." With his diminished capacity due to intoxication, he got mad and took out his frustrations on the machine. NOT A "CRIME."

WHAT "personal attack"? Calling you a hypocritical (jack)ass? I'll apologize if you can explain how that is inaccurate. We can use the Merriam-Webster dictionary to define terms.

As for "never personally attacking me," you've leveled epithets at me, "socialist" namely, not as a benign descriptor, but as an insult.

A bar is private property, not a public place. City Hall is a public place... the middle of the street is a public place. A privately run business is not a public place. For example, you have 'freedom of speech' in City Hall and in the street, but not in some guy's bar.

How did you know the drunk didn't call the owner a faggot SOB? Were you there?

And yeah, destruction of property is a crime.

So, are you a socialist or not? I meant nothing derogatory, I just call 'em as I see 'em.... so to clear it up once and for all, do you consider yourself a socialist?

cedarchopper
2nd July 2010, 08:41 PM
The bar owner shouldn't have to accept the destruction of his property without compensation. In reality, how would you go about getting your money out of this guy? Telling him to come back tomorrow and pay for the damages? 99% of the time you would never see the guy again after something like this without force.

The law is force...violence. That's the way it is.

As far as charges in a court, a felony is way over the top...it's a property crime and compensation is the proper remedy.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:42 PM

God, you argue like a Jew. I can't deal with that.

You're going to look at the world as a materialist, and I, as an idealist (someone who values eternal ideals). Because you regard material things as sacrosanct, and, in particular, kitsch as equivalent to priceless artifacts - a completely illogical position - I really cannot, and have no further desire to, discuss this matter.

I view RIGHTS as sacrosanct.

Property rights are fundamental...

You don't want to discuss any further because you know you will lose the argument...

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:43 PM
One day this guy will smash someone's face. If you can visit such anger on an inanimate object, imagine what some shrill backsassing girlfriend could do.

That's a non-sequitur. I've smashed a lot of shit in my life, almost all of it my own, but I've never initiated violence against someone. I've hit someone only a couple of times, and that was after "turning the other cheek" (i.e., being assaulted first, twice).

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:47 PM

And that is the problem...you start with a philosophical error.

Control of one's mind/soul is fundamental, then one's body, then one's home, then one's livelihood. Material objects are only relevant as they are necessary to those. Calling control of one's mind "property rights" is a false premise.

You don't want to discuss any further because you know you will lose the argument...

You asked for this...again, this is why: "God, you argue like a Jew." I can't deal with the jew-jitsu, sophistry, shifting the argument to strawmen, and that shit.

Book
2nd July 2010, 08:48 PM

Ok. The title of this thread and the point of the OP article focuses on this guy facing a FELONY conviction. That's what makes this a nationwide news story. To be clear, so far nobody here thinks he should face a FELONY conviction.

Every other opinion expressed here about crime and punishment is fine by me...lol.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:50 PM
So, are you a socialist or not? I meant nothing derogatory, I just call 'em as I see 'em....

BS.

You regard "socialists" as "criminals." "'Stealing' your property" and shit.

So, yes, calling me a "socialist" is derogatory.

so to clear it up once and for all, do you consider yourself a socialist?

I've made clear that I am NOT a Marxist, and have no regard for ANY materialist ideology, Marxism or Jewish capitalism.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:52 PM

And that is the problem...you start with a philosophical error.

Control of one's mind/soul is fundamental, then one's body, then one's home, then one's livelihood. Material objects are only relevant as they are necessary to those. Calling control of one's mind "property rights" is a false premise.

You asked for this...again, this is why: "God, you argue like a Jew." I can't deal with the jew-jitsu, sophistry, shifting the argument to strawmen, and that sh*t.

Ok, well you argue like a jew too. :P

And your body is your property, no?

Is your labor your property?

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:54 PM

Ok. The title of this thread and the point of the OP article focuses on this guy facing a FELONY conviction. That's what makes this a nationwide news story. To be clear, so far nobody here thinks he should face a FELONY conviction.

Every other opinion expressed here about crime and punishment is fine by me...lol.

Then we are on the same page, book.

(get it? page.... book.... oh boy I crack myself up)

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 08:56 PM
So, are you a socialist or not? I meant nothing derogatory, I just call 'em as I see 'em....

BS.

You regard "socialists" as "criminals." "'Stealing' your property" and sh*t.

So, yes, calling me a "socialist" is derogatory.

so to clear it up once and for all, do you consider yourself a socialist?

I've made clear that I am NOT a Marxist, and have no regard for ANY materialist ideology, Marxism or Jewish capitalism.

But do you consider yourself to be a socialist? Perhaps a national socialist?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to and I won't ask you again in this thread.

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 08:57 PM
But do you consider yourself to be a socialist?

Define "socialist."

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 09:00 PM

Define "socialist."

"good of the whole" is greater than the "good of the individual"

Dave Thomas
2nd July 2010, 09:12 PM
Gonzo, you're on the right track, but think "Whites Only" socialism.

If you talk traditional socialism they'll deny it because that would include all peoples.

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2010, 09:16 PM
Gonzo, you're on the right track, but think "Whites Only" socialism.

If you talk traditional socialism they'll deny it because that would include all peoples.

Yeah, that's the difference between "jewish socialism" and "national/white socialism"....

Pftt....

Quantum
2nd July 2010, 11:49 PM

Define "socialist."

Given that one lives in a natural community, any decent man would stand by such an ideal.

The perception that the individual is greater than the family is child-like.

sirgonzo420
3rd July 2010, 12:17 AM

Define "socialist."

Given that one lives in a natural community, any decent man would stand by such an ideal.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And I never said the individual is greater than the family.

I used the word "WHOLE" as in, an extended collective.

To my mind, a man is one with / is inseparable from his family.

silver solution
3rd July 2010, 12:51 AM

If he pays the damages he should not have to play slave for anyone!!

Why do you people buy into the brainwashing bind control?

Defender
3rd July 2010, 04:54 AM

Machines deserve equal rights and protection too. If you notice, he wasn't charged with damaging the device - he was charged with injuring it. Like it was a living being. Maybe it's part of Skynet or something.

Quantum
3rd July 2010, 07:53 AM

Define "socialist."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And I never said the individual is greater than the family.

I used the word "WHOLE" as in, an extended collective.

To my mind, a man is one with / is inseparable from his family.

Obviously, you are unable to understand my conception of "socialism," since you believe "socialism = Marxism."

A "Nation," as in a biologically- and culturally-related people, is merely a very large family.

National Socialism worked/works, because it embraced/embraces the concept of Nation. International (Jewish) Socialism fails, in part, because it rejects the concept of Nation, and attempts to replace it with multiracialism and/or multiculturalism.

zap
3rd July 2010, 09:41 PM
The guy is a loser, too bad .

I don't think it should be a felony either but thats what it is, maybe next time he loses a game he won't destroy somebody else's property.

Libertarian_Guard
4th July 2010, 12:25 AM
This thread is boring. It seems like you want to argue for the sake of argument.

It s a crime its a crime! whats not a crime bro?

Some guy got drunk and broke a pinball machine. You call the cops to make a report in case the guy does not want to pay. Everything else.............

More gibberish. Can you identify yourself with your handle from the old GIM???

I doubt it.

Skirnir
4th July 2010, 02:16 AM
This thread is boring. It seems like you want to argue for the sake of argument.

Some guy got drunk and broke a pinball machine. You call the cops to make a report in case the guy does not want to pay. Everything else.............

I doubt it.

Do a search of his posts; he is spouting nonsense for the most part.

That, and I hold the same esteem for people who use 'bro' as I do for liberal arts majors.

Libertarian_Guard
4th July 2010, 02:44 AM

After further review, there is no doubt in my mind, that the 'ice cream man' did not honor his banishment, and created a sock puppet.

I doubt it.

Do a search of his posts; he is spouting nonsense for the most part.

That, and I hold the same esteem for people who use 'bro' as I do for liberal arts majors.

Quantum
4th July 2010, 12:38 PM

Can you identify yourself with your handle from the old GIM???

Got Goldies.