PDA

View Full Version : Zinc

Ash_Williams
2nd July 2010, 11:33 AM
I wish I had known about zinc earlier... and am glad I know about it now before I have kids.

Low zinc can give you those white spots on your fingernails. I started taking it to see if it would get rid of those, and it worked. It also has stopped the occasional zit I'd get from time to time. More research revealed it might have been what thinned out my hair some as well (although I don't expect it to come back.)

I read more. It plays a role in bone development... and in eyes too. Maybe I wouldn't be as nearsighted if I had proper zinc when I was a kid.

Zinc is a major player for zits, with some people finding it more effective than anything else. Wish I had known that when I was a teenager.

Zinc deficiency may also be a cause of sunken chest, and the real culprit behind "connective tissue disorder".

This site has a lot on it.
http://www.ctds.info/zinc1.html

I'm not saying everyone should be loading up on zinc.. just that you might want to look into it if you have some of those symptoms or your kids do.

Serpo
3rd July 2010, 11:07 AM
Good for the prostate also,isnt it.
Yes white spots on finger nails equals zinc deficiency

Liquid
3rd July 2010, 11:13 AM
Also, zinc deficiency leads to low testosterone levels. Men, make sure you get enough zinc in your diet. ;D A daily multivitamin is usually enough to make up the difference though.

Ash_Williams
5th July 2010, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure if zinc its self changes the testosterone levels (although that could be the case), but I do think it prevents it from being converted as much into DHT if you have high testosterone already. That's probably what causes the zits and thinning hair.

The amount in a multivitamin turned out to not be nearly enough for me. I take enough now that the white spots on the fingernails are rare. I think it has made the skin on my face look younger as well.

I believe some of it is sweated out while a lot of it goes to produce sperm, so if you're doing a lot of activities outdoors and behind-closed-doors, you might end up using more.

While I didn't expect any of my hair to come back, the part where my hairline has receded (it's not really that bad) since my teens is now growing peach-fuzz instead of being shiny.

Son-of-Liberty
17th January 2011, 10:11 PM
I have heard that zinc is used up making insulin. Many people that are borderline diabetic could likely cure themselves by taking zinc because they are just deficient in zinc and the body cannot make enough insulin.

hoarder
26th January 2011, 07:37 PM
Zinc makes me horny as all get out. Great for curing a common cold, too. I get nauseated for an hour or so after I take it.

Shami-Amourae
27th January 2011, 10:56 PM
Zinc is always hard on my stomach. I seem to only be able to take it on a FULL stomach, right after I eat a major meal, otherwise I vomit it right back up. I heard this only happens with some people though, so consider that if you want to take it for the first time.

Kali
28th January 2011, 01:33 AM
I have heard that zinc is used up making insulin. Many people that are borderline diabetic could likely cure themselves by taking zinc because they are just deficient in zinc and the body cannot make enough insulin.

I'm going to try this...

I have been crashing hard the past 3 weeks after eating carbs...I ate a bunch of mac n cheese 3 nights ago and it knocked me out...could barely stand.

I get like this when eating sugary junk food but surprised its happening worse when I eat something high in carbs.

Happening on a lot of different foods now...its like it got worse real quick.

Going to eat a bag of pumpkin seeds right now!

kregener
28th January 2011, 05:51 AM
Be careful not to overdo it!

Between 12 and 15 milligrams per day is good.

Denture users are suffering from zinc poisoning all over the place.

Ash_Williams
2nd February 2011, 11:07 AM
Zinc is always hard on my stomach. I seem to only be able to take it on a FULL stomach, right after I eat a major meal, otherwise I vomit it right back up. I heard this only happens with some people though, so consider that if you want to take it for the first time.

Yeah I never had that but most zinc bottles do warn you. I felt a little gross just once, in months of taking zinc every day.

Be careful not to overdo it!
Between 12 and 15 milligrams per day is good.
Denture users are suffering from zinc poisoning all over the place.

I'm way over that, also adding copper and other things at the same time. No symptoms of excess zinc at all. My hairline has un-receeded slightly since I started taking it (regular hair on the one temple, peach fuzz on the other, but I'm hopeful yet...)

Glass
2nd February 2011, 11:49 PM
I believe some of it is sweated out while a lot of it goes to produce sperm, so if you're doing a lot of activities outdoors and behind-closed-doors, you might end up using more.

So zinc puts lead in your pencil?

might have to try me some.

nunaem
3rd February 2011, 12:46 PM
What's the best form of zinc? Picolinate, gluconate, citrate? I read that picolinate is most easily absorbed. They are all so cheap though I may buy all three.