PDA

View Full Version : Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova (SKS)

Black Blade
3rd July 2010, 10:07 PM
Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova (SKS)

The Soviets rather quickly phased the SKS carbine out of first-line service, replacing it with the AK-47, but it remained in second-line service for decades afterwards. It remains a ceremonial arm today. It was widely exported and produced by the former Eastern Bloc nations, as well as China, where it was designated the "Type 56", East Germany as the "Karabiner S" and in North Korea as the "Type 63". It is today popular on the civilian surplus market in many countries. The SKS was one of the first weapons chambered for the 7.62x39mm M43 round later used in the AK-47 and RPK.

Contrary to popular belief, the SKS is a carbine and not a modern assault rifle, because it does not meet all the criteria for such a weapon. The basic design lacks both selective fire capability, and a detachable magazine. Some selective-fire variants were produced in the PRC, and many SKS's have been modified in various ways to accept detachable magazines; however, the basic design of the SKS is semi-automatic and fixed-magazine in nature.

The SKS is popular on the civilian surplus market, especially in the United States and Canada. Because of their historic and novel nature, Russian and European SKS rifles are classified by the BATF as "Curio & Relic" items under US law, allowing them to be sold with features that might otherwise be restricted. Chinese manufactured rifles, even the rare early "Sino-Soviet" examples, are not so classified.

I test fired some SKS carbines. It was overcast, 65F and windy (about 20 mph westerly winds). One Chinese SKS with a wood stock and a scope mounted on the reciever cover. Also one Chinese with a polymer stock and a Russian with a polymer stock.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/SheridanGuns/SKS2a.jpg

The Chinese SKS is a recent acquisition and my first time on the range with this weapon. I pre-loaded seven duck-bill magazines with 123 gr. Barnaul rounds.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/SheridanGuns/SKS-Target1a.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/SheridanGuns/SKS-Target2a.jpg

One round seems to have missed to the left.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/SheridanGuns/SKS-Target3a.jpg

At 100 yards the shots initially hit a little left of center. After adjusting the scope the shots hit just right of center but all within the kill zone.

I also took some time to plink with a couple of the other SKSs earlier this afternoon on the short range.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/86c2628199aad2b21c935095a8e29758c726ba80.pjpg

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/eb616f12a123193e9e1828f996628a14210a7c03.pjpg

I do need to use a little "Loctite" on the Red Dot mounts but otherwise they're nice little shooters. Another problem with these aftermarket conversions is that you really need three arms to swap out mags quickly. All in all they are fun guns to shoot. I bought and sold several of these over the years but I'm down to maybe four now and may have to keep an eye out for any strays looking for a home. It depends on whether I find any at a good price but they aren't getting any cheaper and the Chinese and Russians are no longer imported (thanks a lot Bill Clinton you asshole). There are a few Yugoslavs around and available from time to time.

- Black Blade

Heimdhal
3rd July 2010, 10:42 PM
I highly enjoy the SKS and thinks its a great, low cost SHTF rifle. I miss mine terribly, a norinco. Im going to get it back one of these days because I enjoyed it so much (not that I dont enjoy the AK it helped me buy!).

Those are some good groups there BB. The SKS is a fairly effective rifle, no doubt. I never decked mine all out though, I liked that stock look of it. GOt pretty fast with the stripper clips too, but the duck bills are great. If you check out 1mlt over on the Survivors SKS boards, he makes an adapter so you can take the duck bills off and still use them without a hiccup (helps when putting them in pouches, etc).

I've got a 30 round steel duckbill sitting here, brand new. I found it after I sold my SKS and just kinda hung on to it. If you've got an AK mag, I'll trade ya ;)

Black Blade
3rd July 2010, 11:47 PM
The Chinese SKS (wood stock) I picked up along with 6 extra steel magazines. I also found a new polymer SKS duck-bill that was laying around. They are accurate guns and some claim more accurate than the AKs. I shoot well with my AKs but have not found much difference in accuracy between them. The scope was already on the cover when I bought it so I decided to leave it alone.

Gaillo
4th July 2010, 12:22 AM
I purchased a pristine condition Russian (Tula Armory) SKS in 1995 - it's the ONLY rifle that I've ever sold that I still REALLY regret selling to this day. I retrofitted it with a Chaote machine tools "Dragonov" style synthetic stock, picked up 2,800 rounds of brass-cased boxer-primed ammo for it, and all spare springs, firing pin, and other spare parts that I could find through various retailers. I also replaced the factory mag with a 20 round Bulgarian version, had it drilled and tapped to accept a scope mount (I forget the manufacturer), and installed one of the nicest quick-adjust tactical slings I could find at the time. I worked up handloads that were capable of repeatable 2.25MOA groups... which I think was probably about the limit of the rifle's inherent accuracy capabilities.

Sold it ALL in 2000 for $300 in the midst of my divorce... divorce will make you do crazy things.

Mouse
4th July 2010, 02:07 AM
2 tula's here. I like them a lot. Good basic rifle. Throw one to your neighbor while you are at it. I find them more accurate than AK but I just use the fixed 10 round. I have a couple 30 rounders but never felt the need to try to play with them. AK has volume, sks has a bit more accuracy and the cheap factor. I would definitely throw one at my neighbor if they needed it. I have had a lot of fun with them and for the price, you can't beat it.

One of mine has a cheap cover scope the other is just iron. Both work every time and pretty much as good as I can shoot.

kregener
4th July 2010, 06:39 AM
Norinco here.

Yes, I switched to the 30 round detachables. It functions very well.

Great rifle.

Heimdhal
4th July 2010, 07:24 AM
I wouldnt mind picking my an SKS-M or -D. They take the detatchable AK mags (which is how Simonova originaly designed the rifle, with detatchable mags, not the fixed 10 round. Stalin made him change it.)

They cost over double what an SKS cost though, but it would be nice as then you wouldnt have to have special mags, any old AK mag'll do, so if you had ak's and sks's in the party, you can share ammo (at the range, or SHTF, whichever happens first!)