PDA

View Full Version : Diversification across metals

Skirnir
4th July 2010, 12:53 AM
What would be the ideal ratio to hold gold:silver on an ounce-to-ounce basis? I have been advised to hold 50-50 on a dollar basis but that seems too conservative.

Saul Mine
4th July 2010, 01:13 AM
Diversification is when you are not sure your investment will go up, so you buy another one that you think will go up if the first one goes down. Gold and silver almost always move together, so one is not going to provide any protection from wrong guesses on the other.

There is only one other reason I know of to split your stash. If you foresee that you might need to run with it, then you would want a portion in gold, since even a small amount of silver is quite a load.

Quantum
4th July 2010, 11:32 PM
The historical ratio of 1:16.

Grand Master Melon
5th July 2010, 01:47 AM
Holding only gold and silver doesn't seem to be much of a metals diversification.

BrewTech
5th July 2010, 05:21 AM
Holding only gold and silver doesn't seem to be much of a metals diversification.

Dude... I totally have other metals...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7Se7iswAanA/StgHrYvHygI/AAAAAAAAJgo/LXkB_a9y64o/s400/tinfoil_hat.jpg

Saul Mine
5th July 2010, 08:20 AM
You will get the best advice from a stock broker. Diversification is the one thing they do well. Of course they will get you out of all metals immediately. That is the #2 thing they do well.

philo beddoe
5th July 2010, 08:46 AM
What would be the ideal ratio to hold gold:silver on an ounce-to-ounce basis? I have been advised to hold 50-50 on a dollar basis but that seems too conservative.
Once you get enough you reach a ogistical problem< where do you put all the silver?

Quixote2
5th July 2010, 09:13 AM
Per person, start with one $1,000 face value junk silver, next 200-300 SAEs, then start accumulating gold coins. At some point, you have exceeded your "not to be sold" insurance requirement and are into investment holdings. My investment PMs are in CEF and CEF is 50 ozt silver/one ozt gold.

JohnQPublic
5th July 2010, 08:17 PM
For a historically based view of what silver and gold buy (in a stable economy), see this article I wrote:

What Do Silver and Gold Buy? (http://www.gold-silver.us/what_silver_gold_buys.html)