PDA

View Full Version : Saiga 12

Rebel Yarr
7th July 2010, 09:35 PM
Still loving this thing - have recently changed my config to put the folding stock back on and added a cheapy reflex sight. I will probably add a higher end reflex sight at some point - but right now I can't throw the dough at a good one. I've done a lot of work on this thing over the last 2 years. I am very happy with it in this config as it is much more reliable than with just the pistol grip - it took a while convince myself to put the folding stock back on - but since I have been using it for more than just the home def gun lately - it makes sense.

I haven't played with the new 12 round drums that are out - but with the price of the 20 round MD's where they are - I don't see the need other than the smaller size - which is nice.

Heimdhal
7th July 2010, 09:38 PM
Very nice my friend! it looks like its business is kicking ass, and business is good, and you're looking to expand! ;D

how does the folding stock hold up to the recoil? Are you noticing any flexing at all?

Rebel Yarr
7th July 2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks Heimdhal. Well, the action really absorbs most of the recoil - it is about half the kick to the shoulder of a pump with similar loads. I have only been shooting 00 buck in it lately. I had shot plenty of 3" magnum slugs in it - and never noticed any flexing.

Black Blade
8th July 2010, 01:08 AM
Mine is still a work in progress.I may have to get another one eventually. They are fun but just be sure to adjust to the right setting (1 or 2).

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/18636bc61da9a2c42d07156f37a693f9369ed90d.pjpg

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/c4616a14a72b1b309903360b8d7bf86bc6c7e9fa.pjpg

I know that Classic Arms occasionally has the base Saiga-12 on hand. It's easy to spend a lot on them tho. ;D

Rebel Yarr
8th July 2010, 11:34 AM
I've seen a few on the net around $460 lately too. Looks like you need to work on moving that trigger group up! Well worth it IMO.

joe_momma
8th July 2010, 12:30 PM
QUIT POSTING PICS OF THESE GUNS!

(They are not obtainable in Kaliforniastan and you guys are making me really jealous!)
:D

Dusty
8th July 2010, 01:12 PM
QUIT POSTING PICS OF THESE GUNS!

(They are not obtainable in Kaliforniastan and you guys are making me really jealous!)
:D

The best shoot gun has Ben describable here.
cut the tub lingth 1/4 inch longer than the law will allow
2 things ,

one it will make it easer to use in a crowed placer.

and also keep you legal.

shoot guns are nice every home needs one,, or two
Just keep the barral lenth cool and overall lenth within the law.,
also keep in mind for your state, the overall length,

shoot guns are the best home deference weapon that you can have.
but be smart if you have one,,
Keep it legal but push the limt by 1/4 of a inch

Gangsta99
10th July 2010, 06:31 PM
The price coming down on the MD Arms drums was a bad thing for me. I bought 5 of them since I am local to Mike and MD Arms. :)

Also loving the big ass shark brake on the front of mine. At the local range people are always like WTF is that monster.

mightymanx
11th July 2010, 08:36 AM
Call me crazy but I actualy don't like the trigger assembly moved forward. It is the perfect distance as is I put my left hand on the magazine and it acts like my forward grip and I can keep both elbows tucked in that position.

The best modification by far I did to mine was the JT magazine well. Loading on a closed bolt no problem just slam it in AR 15 style. I know you can t use drums with it but I never belived in using drums to begin with. Not much more capacity for the weight and volume and where do you put the empty folgers can on your web gear when you are done? i can store and carry 8 (10) round mags way easier than 4 Folgers cans that hold 20 rounds each.

I am still waiting for the doubble stack mags MD arms keeps talking about that seems it would be the ultimate answer.

Black Blade
11th July 2010, 01:06 PM
Call me crazy but I actualy don't like the trigger assembly moved forward. It is the perfect distance as is I put my left hand on the magazine and it acts like my forward grip and I can keep both elbows tucked in that position.

The best modification by far I did to mine was the JT magazine well. Loading on a closed bolt no problem just slam it in AR 15 style. I know you can t use drums with it but I never belived in using drums to begin with. Not much more capacity for the weight and volume and where do you put the empty folgers can on your web gear when you are done? i can store and carry 8 (10) round mags way easier than 4 Folgers cans that hold 20 rounds each.

I am still waiting for the doubble stack mags MD arms keeps talking about that seems it would be the ultimate answer.

I don't move the trigger group forward on a couple of mine because the balance is better for me when using drums and especially when the stock is folded. This does not seem to be a problem for me with a AMD for some reason. Just a personal preference tho as some may want the "cool factor" over function and that's fine too. I may eventually grab another style conversion at some point.

Rebel Yarr
11th July 2010, 06:48 PM
For me - the trigger mod - wasn't for cool factor - it was the AK ergonomics. The gun just doesn't feel right and is sooo long in the rear without the trigger mod. At first I wasn't going to do it - but once I moved the trigger forward - I was much happier with the ergonomics.

yes, double stack mags would be sweet - I see the 10 round drums around now by MD and the other manufacturer - would be nice to have but I can't justify spending any more on accessories for this - even though it is my favorite shotgun.

Awoke
13th July 2010, 12:15 PM
I would love to own 1 (or 10) of these shot guns, but like Kalifornistan, they are prohibited in Canada.

Rebel Yarr
1st August 2010, 11:40 AM
Here is a video of me shooting my Saiga 12... Overall I am really happy with the reliability I have been able to achieve with this project. The only time it has issues is when the butt is not pressed firmly into the shoulder - the action really needs all of the inertia to cycle well. Otherwise - FTE's can happen - but they are easy to clear when they do happen. This typically only happens after a long day of rifle/shotgun shooting and my shoulder gets hammered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26SMeWtiM40

Black Blade
1st August 2010, 03:12 PM
Here is a video of me shooting my Saiga 12... Overall I am really happy with the reliability I have been able to achieve with this project. The only time it has issues is when the butt is not pressed firmly into the shoulder - the action really needs all of the inertia to cycle well. Otherwise - FTE's can happen - but they are easy to clear when they do happen. This typically only happens after a long day of rifle/shotgun shooting and my shoulder gets hammered.

I can only imagine the fun on the skeet range. ;D

Cheers!

mightymanx
1st August 2010, 09:33 PM
I can only imagine the fun on the skeet range. ;D

Cheers!

It gets expensive quick having a shoulder held flack cannon makes you want to dump a mag on every throw. I practice with a single shot just for that purpose so I have to aim then.

steel_ag
7th July 2012, 11:57 AM

recommendations for a reliable / cheap store to purchase one from (and the 20-round drum) ? I am interested...