PDA

View Full Version : Ima needin' some cannin' advice.

Mouse
7th July 2010, 10:35 PM
So we planted our garden (late) and we have been eating lettuce and radishes and early grower stuff for awhile. Got zucchini starting to come out of our ears. The cucumbers are starting in now. Working on canning these pickles and got my quart jars on the ready but I am having a real hard time getting the seals to hold.

Anyone got any ideas?

MNeagle
8th July 2010, 06:32 AM
lol! Thanks for the laugh Mouse!

Shorty Harris
8th July 2010, 06:37 AM
Ima, Got any good recipes for Bread? We also have Zukes and Squash coming out our ears.

SLV^GLD
8th July 2010, 07:26 AM
3 Suggestions in order of importance:

1 - Drink Better Beer

2 - Listen to ImaCannin

3 - Invest in some canning jars of various sizes with quarts being a median size

BrewTech
8th July 2010, 08:17 AM
3 Suggestions in order of importance:

1 - Drink Better Beer

2 - Listen to ImaCannin

3 - Invest in some canning jars of various sizes with quarts being a median size

SLV^GLD beat me to it... seeing that pic hurts my heart! (and makes me LOL - good one Mouse!)

Saul Mine
8th July 2010, 08:25 AM
That happened to me once. I watched patiently as my cuke plants sprouted and spread and grew big leaves - but no fruits. I keep wondering "Where are my cukes?" finally I got down near the ground and looked under the leaves, and there they were: big as footballs.

They were TERRIBLE!

BrewTech
8th July 2010, 08:33 AM
I remember back in HS (horticulture class - favorite of the stoners) we grew cukes among other things... we were instructed as to the appropriate size for eating and were required to pick most of them at that size. However, we also had some reserved for the "biggest cuke" contest... I never knew how big cucumbers would get if you just let them go! They are DEFINITELY not edible if overgrown...

StackerKen
8th July 2010, 09:21 AM
We have loads of zucchini and yellow squash too. I plan to dehydrate some and make bread too.

We mostly eat it dipped it egg, Italian bread crumbs and deep fried in olive oil...and love it

Occasionally, I miss one and it gets too big...I give em to the chickens...they eat em up.

bellevuebully
8th July 2010, 10:19 AM
Can you cut a hole in the lid??

;D

Korbin Dallas
8th July 2010, 06:24 PM
Has anyone come across a bread machine zuke bread recipe?

Mouse
12th July 2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks all,

We are keeping a better guard on our cucumbers now. We are picking a goodly sized basket of these things daily. Keeping the sizes in check now. We put up 34 quarts of various pickles, sweet, dill, etc over the last couple days and also I am brewing a gallon jar with some fermenting ones in it to see if/how that works out (used the ginormous ones in the experiment). Day three and they are starting to smell like WaWa pickles (or deli pickles or jewish pickles). WaWa has the best but I am from Philly, so I might be jaded.

Now we are trying to police the zuchini. I pulled a 17 inch long and 12 inch circumference zuke out yesterday. I don't know what the hell to do with these. We have lettuce going to seed as we can't eat it all, zuchini and stuff getting eaten by our chickens as treats.

Happy to have a bounty harvest on our first year on this garden, but we need to tone down on some of this stuff for next year and get more variety.

I think Ima gonna be Cannin a lot this summer.

Bullfrog
12th July 2010, 02:42 PM
i'm gueesing that Ima covered your canning questions, here are some other options.

Put the zucchini thru a grinder, pour it into a plastic bag and freeze it. You can pull it out in the winter time to make bread and maybe some other dishes. Freeze it in the amounts needed for your bread recipe.

Zucchini does not dehydrate well. You are better off freezing it.

Yellow squash. If it's a winter squash you don't have to do anything. Just store it someplace and use when you like. Or you can boil it just to the point where you can take a potato masher to it, and then bag and freeze it too.