PDA

View Full Version : Sour dogh

Dusty
8th July 2010, 08:32 AM
I wil never buy store bought bread again!!

Been a year now with with my starter and It seems
that the older it gets , the better it becomes.
and if i crave bread , it is my own..and
there is a learning curve, Especially in hot weather.
Everything is is faster, in rise times for the sponge and
dough.

May experiment to see what the upper temperature limit is
for the yeast in my starter. There seems to be different opinions
on how hot is too hot. for the yeast to survive.

still beats the store botten bread by a country mile.

Saul Mine
9th July 2010, 01:55 AM
Sounds like you've been drinking the starter.

muffin
9th July 2010, 07:33 AM
I totally agree! I make my bread as much as possible. It's pretty rare that I go buy bread from the store. It's a labor of love and just tastes better! And you can't beat the smell of fresh bread baking! Haven't tried making sourdough yet. My next will be "rustic" bread. (http://steamykitchen.com/168-no-knead-bread-revisited.html)

Liz Anya
13th October 2010, 12:06 PM
Sounds like you've been drinking the starter.

Ohhhhh, your starter must have a lot of hooch!!! ;)

cedarchopper
13th October 2010, 12:34 PM
I've got a sourdough starter that I cultured using local wild Muscadine (Mustang) grapes. I took a small bunch of grapes, filtered water, and some flour and put them in a dark spot at room temp. Within a couple of days it was already bubbling and active. After about a week, I took the grapes out and then fed it everyday for a couple of months. It has developed into a superb culture...very active and smells great, undertones of wine.

I used it last week to make about 60 pounds of pizza dough...which required 13.5 lbs of 100% hydration sourdough starter. It was a really good crust...great flavor, easy to control proofing, and lots of oven spring. Cooked the pizzas in my wood fired oven at around 700-750 on the brick floor and 900 in the top of the oven dome...2 minute pizzas!