PDA

View Full Version : Have you made any prep mistakes?

MNeagle
9th July 2010, 11:32 AM
Here are a few of mine:

Over-estimating how much ketchup we eat. We probably use 1 regular bottle/year, way less than I thought.

Not getting enough/more products when they're available. We can no longer find canned beef anywhere. They're still selling turkey, chicken, tuna, salmon but no beef. Too bad, because it is very versatile prep to have.

How about you?

cedarchopper
9th July 2010, 11:54 AM
Under-estimating how fast time flies...and how quick those expiration dates appear.

Bullfrog
9th July 2010, 12:11 PM
Made the wrong choice for my MBR, have to live with it now. Didn't stay on top of making sure the canned foods got rotated like they needed to be. This is very important, luckily canned foods last much longer than what their expiration dates show. So this was a correctable mistake.

MNeagle
9th July 2010, 12:26 PM
What's a MBR?

Book
9th July 2010, 12:42 PM
Here are a few of mine:

Bought too much of one kind of canned food then discovered I am already sick of eating it. WTSHTF make sure we don't die from monotonous boring food...lol.

:D

MNeagle
9th July 2010, 01:13 PM
Here are a few of mine:

Bought too much of one kind of canned food then discovered I am already sick of eating it. WTSHTF make sure we don't die from monotonous boring food...lol.

Then you need to find some new recipes to utilize them!

Try www.allrecipes.com and you can list your 'ingredients' you want to cook with. Easy-peazy.

Bullfrog
9th July 2010, 01:42 PM
Main Battle Rifle.

Yeah, stocking up on foods you don't really like can be a mistake.

Eyebone
9th July 2010, 01:57 PM
My main mistake was not having a cool place to keep my food preps.

Three years and the cookies and nuts in my MREs are rancid and inedible

tater
9th July 2010, 06:27 PM
First mistake was to purchase metals before bulk food.

Shared too much information with others. Thankfully plenty time has passed and I can
pretend to have tossed the old tin foil hat away...so who's gonna win the super bowl this year? ;)

MarchHare
9th July 2010, 08:15 PM
Here is one that happened not too long ago:

Picked up a few of those cheap 2 gallon water jugs from the store, the kind with the plastic nozzle pointing downward from the front. It was not intended to be a long term water solution, but for just in case anything were to happen in the near term.

Unfortunately the nozzle on those cheap containers is rather fragile, and it began leaking on the garage floor after an apparent bang against some other preps. Fortunately, it did not leak onto any other preps that would suffer water damage.

StackerKen
9th July 2010, 08:19 PM
yeah...I think I bought Way to much canned soup....

How am I gonna eat all this soup?

platinumdude
9th July 2010, 08:23 PM

Would that be the bumble bee salmon?

Book
9th July 2010, 08:40 PM

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/picky%20girl.jpg

http://health.more4kids.info/uploads/Image/picky-eater.jpg

Nah...I really like the canned Bumble Bee Red Salmon. Full flavored and rich in the omega-3 oil. My mistake was last year buying too much of THIS STUFF (http://chickenofthesea.com/product_line_detail.aspx?did=4800009050). This pouch stuff is "wild caught" but the taste is kinda bland compared to the canned BBRS...it would have to be TEOTWAWKI before I open another pouch...lol.

sirgonzo420
9th July 2010, 10:07 PM

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/picky%20girl.jpg

http://health.more4kids.info/uploads/Image/picky-eater.jpg

Nah...I really like the canned Bumble Bee Red Salmon. Full flavored and rich in the omega-3 oil. My mistake was last year buying too much of THIS STUFF (http://chickenofthesea.com/product_line_detail.aspx?did=4800009050). This pouch stuff is "wild caught" but the taste is kinda bland compared to the canned BBRS...it would have to be TEOTWAWKI before I open another pouch...lol.

I think you'll find it tastes better then.

gunDriller
10th July 2010, 09:59 AM
not buying a 5 acre parcel in Willits when it was $35K in 2002.

not buying a 9 acre parcel with a 1500 square foot cabin on a small island near Vancouver Island in 2002. It was $65K Canadian, about $45K US at the time.

steyr_m
10th July 2010, 10:10 AM
not buying a 9 acre parcel with a 1500 square foot cabin on a small island near Vancouver Island in 2002. It was $65K Canadian, about $45K US at the time.

What is it going for now? I'm gonna be on the Island on Mon., btw.

steyr_m
10th July 2010, 10:12 AM
Yes, not buying enough dry foods (rice, legumes, pasta, etc.), silver, and ammo. I'm working on that now...

ximmy
10th July 2010, 12:10 PM
I don't think I'm going to be able to support my family members.. I wanted too... as you know, most people don't care right now, and fewer are making preparations.. I feel like I'm the only one doing so.

muffin
10th July 2010, 12:31 PM
Then you need to find some new recipes to utilize them!

Try www.allrecipes.com and you can list your 'ingredients' you want to cook with. Easy-peazy.

Love this website! I've found so many very very yummy recipes on here. Highly recommended...

Main Battle Rifle.

Yeah, stocking up on foods you don't really like can be a mistake.

I was gonna say master bedroom....

Yeah, I think getting stuff that we BOTH like is pretty difficult. I'm a picky eater.

Here is one that happened not too long ago:

Picked up a few of those cheap 2 gallon water jugs from the store, the kind with the plastic nozzle pointing downward from the front. It was not intended to be a long term water solution, but for just in case anything were to happen in the near term.

Unfortunately the nozzle on those cheap containers is rather fragile, and it began leaking on the garage floor after an apparent bang against some other preps. Fortunately, it did not leak onto any other preps that would suffer water damage.

Had this one happen too! I still have a few of these containers left. I guess we should work on phasing them out......

Oh dear god, we are feeling your pain on this one too......

Heimdhal
10th July 2010, 02:53 PM
Hey, now that we know bullfrog is indeed around (nice work, btw!) I can ask what was the mistake in your MBR that you mentioned? Which rifle did you go with vs which one do you now think you should have gone with? ;)

mightymanx
10th July 2010, 04:31 PM
Not trusting my instincts and starting much sooner.

I had thought "I should do something" back when gold was $300 AK's $175 SKS's $99 and ammo was less than $.10/shot any caliber. Not to mention foodstuffs.

Bullfrog
10th July 2010, 07:38 PM
I went with a Ruger Mini 14. The price was right, and it fit me. I'm comfortable shooting it out to 300 yards.

It's not a critical mistake because I have other rifles. And I may never need it.
Now that I have thought about things, I would like to have something in a .308.

I was listening to militia radio when they were talking about running ops in AZ and what weapons were needed. .308's were mentioned as being nice to have down there, but they made a point of saying that things didn't start happening till 11pm.
So for that circumstance, being able to outdistance your night vision doesn't really help you.

Liquid
10th July 2010, 09:41 PM

I'll offer my hungry appetite to help you with your soup problem Ken. ;D

I think my biggest prep mistake, is buying too small of a boat! My dear gal, her waterline keeps getting lower and lower. It's a constant trade-off, but I've got to give her credit...she's a salty ol' gal! The type, that could take a wave, and spring forward with a smile.

However, after a few months or so, it's rice and fish for me. Rice is nice, light takes up little space, and I can catch fresh fish.

We all have our own, individual prepping challlenges.

gunDriller
11th July 2010, 06:58 AM

What is it going for now? I'm gonna be on the Island on Mon., btw.

last time i looked prices seemed to have gone up 10-20 times.

Heimdhal
11th July 2010, 11:49 AM
I went with a Ruger Mini 14. The price was right, and it fit me. I'm comfortable shooting it out to 300 yards.

It's not a critical mistake because I have other rifles. And I may never need it.
Now that I have thought about things, I would like to have something in a .308.

I was listening to militia radio when they were talking about running ops in AZ and what weapons were needed. .308's were mentioned as being nice to have down there, but they made a point of saying that things didn't start happening till 11pm.
So for that circumstance, being able to outdistance your night vision doesn't really help you.

Yeah, I was looking at one for a while, but heard way to many mixed reviews on them and was eventualy turned off totaly.

I wouldnt worry about NOT getting a .308 on the off chance youll out shoot your NV. Odds are you wont be taking many 500 yard shots at anyone until the big stuff hits the fan, and if you are doing that at night, odds are even greater than who ever is shooting at you (unless militarily equiped) wont have the latest and greatest NV either, so youll be out of there range as well.

Not to mention on a clear night even with a half moon, youll be able to see fairly well once your natural night vision kicks in (about 20-30 minutes). Keep a red filtered flashlight handy in case you do need some artifical light. And if for some reaosn there is something out there that is an active threat and its beyound the capabilities of your night vision or your rifle, than distance is always your friend. ;)

Phoenix
11th July 2010, 01:23 PM
The biggest blunder anyone can engage in regarding one's emergency preparations is failing to exercise OPSEC: operational security.

DON'T TALK ABOUT THE SPECIFIC DETAILS OF WHAT YOU HAVE PREPARED, STORED, AND HIDDEN.

That most especially includes talking about it ONLINE.

Bullfrog
11th July 2010, 09:13 PM
I haven't mentioned anything that the feds don't already know about. And the militia radio program I listen to, is always saying to spread the word about their program, they want more listeners. So I am not giving away anything there. I'm pretty sure the feds are listening at the same time I am since the broadcaster is a good friend of the Hutaree.

Phoenix
12th July 2010, 02:31 AM
I haven't mentioned anything that the feds don't already know about. And the militia radio program I listen to, is always saying to spread the word about their program, they want more listeners. So I am not giving away anything there. I'm pretty sure the feds are listening at the same time I am since the broadcaster is a good friend of the Hutaree.

It's OK to discuss "I have prepared for disasters," and especially, to encourage everyone else to follow along.

I highly discourage, however, stating, "I have 4 AR-15s, 2 AK-47s, 6 Glocks, 2500 rounds of ammo for each, two years' supply of food for my family..."

The Feds knowing what you have isn't the primary issue...for firearms, the government will almost always know about what you have. And unless you pay cash and never discuss it over the phone, they'll know about the food, supplies, and tools, too. The main concern is who is in "striking distance" of your home when TSHTF.

mightymanx
12th July 2010, 08:38 AM
"I have 4 AR-15s, 2 AK-47s, 6 Glocks, 2500 rounds of ammo for each, two years' supply of food for my family..."

Sounds like somebody started late as well, better hurry. ;D

MNeagle
14th July 2010, 07:38 AM
Do not buy Costco-size products for your kids, unless you know for sure that they like it. Try normal size packages first. Also, remember their tastes change over time too. Something that's a hit today, may not be in a few weeks.

Sparky
14th July 2010, 12:40 PM
Do not buy Costco-size products for your kids, unless you know for sure that they like it. Try normal size packages first. Also, remember their tastes change over time too. Something that's a hit today, may not be in a few weeks.

The only thing I buy that I don't already eat is powered milk. And it sucks.

I really recommend doing the math to figure your standing supply of each item:

SoH = 12 * CR * ELT, where

SoH = Supply on Hand [# of units]
CR = Consumption Rate [units per month]
ELT = Expiration Lead Time when purchased [years]

Example: Pasta lasts about 2 years. If your family eats 1.5 boxes per month, don't let your on-hand supply exceed 36 boxes. Ketchup lasts about a year; if you use 1/2 bottle per month, you only need to have 6 bottles on hand. I'm envisioning people with cases of ketchup...

StackerKen
14th July 2010, 12:49 PM
I bought too much Peanut butter...

I think I will make some cookies :)

MNeagle
14th July 2010, 12:58 PM
I was so thrilled to find organic ketchup at Trader Joe's I bought 6! We're down to 4, which should last another 4 years at this rate. My calculation of consumption rate was waaaayyy off! Though it may pick up as the kids get older.

Very good point Sparky!

ximmy
14th July 2010, 01:03 PM
The biggest blunder anyone can engage in regarding one's emergency preparations is failing to exercise OPSEC: operational security.

DON'T TALK ABOUT THE SPECIFIC DETAILS OF WHAT YOU HAVE PREPARED, STORED, AND HIDDEN.

That most especially includes talking about it ONLINE.

I don't have any guns, no ammo, no water stores, no food supplies, nothing to help you in time of disaster... please move along... ::)

Grand Master Melon
15th July 2010, 11:06 PM
Here are a few of mine:

Over-estimating how much ketchup we eat. We probably use 1 regular bottle/year, way less than I thought.

Not getting enough/more products when they're available. We can no longer find canned beef anywhere. They're still selling turkey, chicken, tuna, salmon but no beef. Too bad, because it is very versatile prep to have.

How about you?

I'm not sure if you're talking about just beef in a can or some sort of specially designed survival beef but in my area the local Kroger affiliate carries canned beef. Canned beef can also be found at 99cent stores (I've seen it plenty of times at "99cent only" stores) though I'd be sure to check the date.

MNeagle
16th July 2010, 08:35 AM
Just regular canned beef. No Kroeger's around here, and not in any dollar stores either.

Bullfrog
16th July 2010, 09:49 AM
Maybe replace canned beef with Castleberry's beef stew? It has a lot of some type of meat in it and tastes pretty good. It is a hunting camp staple.

What I do now, is add some onion and/or some frozen cauliflower/broccoli to it.

Grand Master Melon
16th July 2010, 10:27 AM
Just regular canned beef. No Kroeger's around here, and not in any dollar stores either.

I had to look that up, I was surprised to find there are no kroger or affiliated stores in MN.

You could try a Dollar General store.

I might also recomend canned tamales.

chad
8th February 2012, 07:58 AM
i was convinced in 2008 that collapse was imminent. i bought lots of instant soup (probably close to 500) pouches, all full of msg. at the time, i figured some food is better than no food. now, i have my food prep rounded out, but i stil have 500 pouches of campbells instant noodle soup. took it all out of the boxes and bagged it for storage, so i can't donate it to a food pantry (tried, they refused it). not sure what to do with it.

Buddha
8th February 2012, 08:50 AM
I didn't have a can opener for the longest. I don't eat canned food, but the vast majority of my preps are canned. I was gonna eat some spaggeti o's one night and it was like that Silvester and Tweety cartoon where the cat's owners go on a trip and leave him with all of this canned food but he can't find the can opener and goes insane.

EE_
8th February 2012, 08:55 AM
I watched Doomsday Preppers last night.
These people have been living like it's post apocalypse for many years
The message from the show:
Preppers are crackpots
The ods anything will happen are nil
Cant eat gold and silver

MNeagle
8th February 2012, 11:57 AM
Chad, maybe try & see if some scouting group would use them? Or save it to give away?

Buddha, now you need to buy another *spare* can opener & keep it with your canned goods.

The good news is that Costco is again carrying cans of roast beef! Yippee.

Sparky
8th February 2012, 04:21 PM
i was convinced in 2008 that collapse was imminent. i bought lots of instant soup (probably close to 500) pouches, all full of msg. at the time, i figured some food is better than no food. now, i have my food prep rounded out, but i stil have 500 pouches of campbells instant noodle soup. took it all out of the boxes and bagged it for storage, so i can't donate it to a food pantry (tried, they refused it). not sure what to do with it.
Curious to hear what you were thinking, man! What made you buy so much of one thing, even in a panic mode??

ximmy
8th February 2012, 04:36 PM

mix it into animal feed

solid
8th February 2012, 04:46 PM
mix it into animal feed

Why would you do that to an animal? Animal's don't deserve to eat that crap.

I say, have a Banker appreciation day, with free soup. Serve it to the banksters.

EE_
8th February 2012, 05:06 PM
Drop it off at a local synagogue for the holohoax survivors

ximmy
8th February 2012, 05:08 PM
Drop it off at a local synagogue for the holohoax survivors

I thought I said that... ;D

Glass
8th February 2012, 05:57 PM
Either I peaked too soon or the economy crashed too late. One or the other.

BrewTech
8th February 2012, 08:03 PM
Jumped in way early, but I had resources at the time, so...

I learned a lot canning and prep storing food, and it was kinda fun. I still look proudly on the job we did.

I figured there would be a sudden crash. Now I know that the powers that be have everything under (their) control and they can hold out a lot longer than I can. Oh well.

mightymanx
10th February 2012, 10:42 AM
Here is a trick I learned

Buy these http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/100-pk-mil-style-p-38-can-openers.aspx?a=372726

Then tape them to the tops of the #10 cans or put them under the plastic lids 2 or so per case you store you will never be with out a can opener again and If you help someone out by givine them a "humanitarian kit" they will have a can opener as well.

Also write on the cans with Sharpie the contents that way when the label falls off you don't have to guess.

milehi
10th February 2012, 11:05 AM
If there's any mistake I've made, it's maybe too many cans. I've been moving this week and just the prep room alone ended up taking four stuffed van loads to move. Most of the file boxes contain canned meat and doing the move by myself, the prep room wiped me out. It was good to get a look at everything, and I found I can live off salmon for a very long time.

big country
10th February 2012, 11:10 AM
Here is a trick I learned

Buy these http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/100-pk-mil-style-p-38-can-openers.aspx?a=372726

Then tape them to the tops of the #10 cans or put them under the plastic lids 2 or so per case you store you will never be with out a can opener again and If you help someone out by givine them a "humanitarian kit" they will have a can opener as well.

Also write on the cans with Sharpie the contents that way when the label falls off you don't have to guess.

Great Idea! We will be ordering some of these soon. Thanks!!! Good price on a good quantity too.

EDIT: Also, according to the picture atleast. These are the real-deal can openers not cheap knock offs. The pictures show "US SHELBY CO" on the pile of can openers laying there. (You can see it on the one hanging on the can...) Hopefully they are!

EDIT2: Recieved the can openers. They are infact US SHELBY CO can openers...real deal non-knockoffs! I bought the P-51's. Very solid. Best purchase in a long time...

MNeagle
10th February 2012, 11:17 AM
If there's any mistake I've made, it's may be too many cans. I've been moving this week and the just the prep room alone ended up taking four stuffed van loads to move. Most of the file boxes contain canned meat and doing the move by myself, the prep room wiped me out. It was good to get a look at everything, and I found I can live off salmon for a very long time.

ahh, but probably all pre-Fukushima, so really it's PRICELESS!

Congrats on your move too.

milehi
10th February 2012, 03:37 PM

I forgot about that.

And thanks. I have no neighbors, my own well, farmable land, and it's the strangest thing to be able to shoot off my driveway after work...in Socal.

gunDriller
20th February 2012, 01:20 PM

that's exactly what i was thinking - pre-Fukushima food is GREAT to have around.

i loaded up on Evaporated milk in the early days post-Fukushima, while there was still pre-Fukushima milk in the pipeline.

i also got some Gossner boxed milk with an April 2011 manufacture date.

now i've used up the Evap. milk in coffee and have about 11 quarts of Gossner left. that should last another 6 to 9 months.

so - my prep mistake - not trusting my instincts and loading up even more.

i have switched to Parmesan 'aged 10 months' cheese for all my cheese. in the next week or so, i will load up on some more of that, maybe $100 worth ... it's $5 a pound.

Osiris
23rd February 2012, 01:29 PM
I don't think I'm going to be able to support my family members.. I wanted too... as you know, most people don't care right now, and fewer are making preparations.. I feel like I'm the only one doing so.

That is always a concern of mine...

I bought too much Peanut butter...

I think I will make some cookies :)

I think this was posted a while back but if you still have a ton of PB I have a great flourless PB cookie recipe...

People also mentioned allrecipes.com, I have made a lot of recipes from there but was introduced to another one recently at chowstalker.com. It follows the paleo diet but you can also enter an ingredient and it will find you recipes. Good stuff too!

Heimdhal
23rd February 2012, 03:23 PM
I dont have a lot of rope.... Dunno, just thought of that.

chad
23rd February 2012, 04:52 PM
that's a problem if you run in to a hive of bankers.

EE_
23rd February 2012, 07:51 PM
Went to the grocery store yesterday and they had a major discount on valentine candy.
I bought a couple boxes of the candy sweethearts...they were yummy!
I should have bought them out to store in preps. I don't eat much sweets anymore, but when needed, candy is a great comfort food...or if you get the munchies. http://forums.psucomic.com/images/smilies/pothead.gif

woodman
23rd February 2012, 10:21 PM
that's exactly what i was thinking - pre-Fukushima food is GREAT to have around.

i loaded up on Evaporated milk in the early days post-Fukushima, while there was still pre-Fukushima milk in the pipeline.

i also got some Gossner boxed milk with an April 2011 manufacture date.

now i've used up the Evap. milk in coffee and have about 11 quarts of Gossner left. that should last another 6 to 9 months.

so - my prep mistake - not trusting my instincts and loading up even more.

i have switched to Parmesan 'aged 10 months' cheese for all my cheese. in the next week or so, i will load up on some more of that, maybe $100 worth ... it's $5 a pound.

Carefull on that parmeson. If you freeze it I suppose it'll be ok. I've had some go bad on me in the containers. My worst mistake in food storage is packing it away too well and not having it nearby so I could rotate and use it up. Stuff does go stale and it's a hatefull thing to throw away money.

Heimdhal
24th February 2012, 09:19 AM
Carefull on that parmeson. If you freeze it I suppose it'll be ok. I've had some go bad on me in the containers. My worst mistake in food storage is packing it away too well and not having it nearby so I could rotate and use it up. Stuff does go stale and it's a hatefull thing to throw away money.

Dont freeze cheese, itll never be the same. Sure, plenty of people do, but it really does damage to the cheese and changes its properties. It still usable, but there are other methods of storage that will do better.

In fact, for hard cheese like Parm, getting some cheese wax and waxing it is the absolutle best method. It will stay shelf stable for a VERY long time this way, and in fact will continue to age and develop flavor. This way you arent taking up valuable freezer space and taking a good quality cheese and turning it into an "ok" cheese. ;)