PDA

View Full Version : Wells Fargo cuts free checking ahead of new rules

MNeagle
9th July 2010, 05:22 PM
North Carolina (Reuters) - Wells Fargo & Co will no longer offer free checking for all new customers opening accounts at the bank, a company spokeswoman told Reuters on Friday.

The San Francisco-based bank -- one of the largest U.S. consumer banks -- introduced a $5 monthly fee for its basic checking account service on July 1, eliminating two kinds of free, basic account services the company previously offered.

Wells Fargo spokeswoman Julia Tunis Bernard said the move will only affect a small percentage of new customers, as most new accounts open what the company calls "checking packages," or a bundle of banking services.

The change will not affect existing customer accounts or Wachovia Bank customers.

New customers can have the fee waived by maintaining a $1,500 average daily account balance, or having a monthly direct deposit transaction of $250 or more.

The move comes as Bank of America Corp and other major U.S. banks are examining reinstituting account fees and other service charges as financial reform has curbed overdraft charges and other sources of noninterest income.

link (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66867M20100709?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FbusinessNews+%28New s+%2F+US+%2F+Business+News%29)

Phoenix
9th July 2010, 08:11 PM
Long past due the time to cut Wells Fargo.

No checking account, or a credit union account, only.

zusn
9th July 2010, 09:44 PM
I'm all wrapped up with Wells Fargo. I would have dropped them like a bad habit years ago, but my mortgage is with them. If I'm going to move, I'm going to move everything! There's an awesome credit union that I used to belong to that I'd love to return to. I just don't know about the mortgage. I guess I'll have to stop being lazy and just ask...

Phoenix
9th July 2010, 10:18 PM
I'm all wrapped up with Wells Fargo. I would have dropped them like a bad habit years ago, but my mortgage is with them. If I'm going to move, I'm going to move everything! There's an awesome credit union that I used to belong to that I'd love to return to. I just don't know about the mortgage. I guess I'll have to stop being lazy and just ask...

How's the value of your home? Candidate for a walk away? ;D