PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the gold dos pesos coins,

silverchris
10th July 2010, 10:51 AM
Are these good coins to buy? With spot at 1211, what is a good price to pay for these?

Is this low quality gold, meaning is the amount of gold small relative to the amount of alloy metal?

If I were to try to sell these to someone wanting to melt them down, would they not have to have a huge amount of them to make these worth buying?

Is it much trickier to melt these coins compared to a high quality maple or eagle?

Exactly what karat or percentage gold are in these coins ? How many of these would it take to equal a quarter ounce, half an ounce, or a full ounce?

I ask because the shops around me sell them for around 60 bucks I belive, last time I saw one, just want to know if I should just save up more to buy 1/10 maples or eagles or generic bar/round.

Basically are they more hassle than they are worth?

Thanks,

gunDriller
10th July 2010, 11:52 AM
found it

http://www.apmex.com/Product/1048/Mexico_2_Peso_Gold_Coins_.aspx

http://lainson.eu/2peso.JPG

buy $56, it says.

if you can get the 2 peso for $60, that's a good deal.

the APMex "buy" prices are for large transactions (e.g. $10K), so you might have to have 160 2 peso coins to get the buy price on their website.

silverchris
10th July 2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for that, I do say these looks almost like brass, just look so cheap and dirty like there is hardly any gold in it at all.

JohnQPublic
10th July 2010, 12:36 PM
Are these good coins to buy? With spot at 1211, what is a good price to pay for these?

Is this low quality gold, meaning is the amount of gold small relative to the amount of alloy metal?

If I were to try to sell these to someone wanting to melt them down, would they not have to have a huge amount of them to make these worth buying?

Is it much trickier to melt these coins compared to a high quality maple or eagle?

Exactly what karat or percentage gold are in these coins ? How many of these would it take to equal a quarter ounce, half an ounce, or a full ounce?

I ask because the shops around me sell them for around 60 bucks I belive, last time I saw one, just want to know if I should just save up more to buy 1/10 maples or eagles or generic bar/round.

Basically are they more hassle than they are worth?

Thanks,

I like them. I have a few fractionals- mixed 2, 2.5, 5 pesos, 1/10th eagles mainly. I bought them late 2008 and early 2009, so they were a pretty good deal then.

Skirnir
10th July 2010, 12:45 PM
There has been some fake Mexican gold floating around; make sure of the following:

First, that the option for a refund is available.
Second, that the coin weighs what it should.
Third, that three measures of the diameter are in line with the coin's specification.

gunDriller
10th July 2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that, I do say these looks almost like brass, just look so cheap and dirty like there is hardly any gold in it at all.

i suggest getting a good affordable digital scale like a Salter Brecknell PB500. Amazon has them for about $60. that will give you a good weight measurement.

also, a magnet is good to have, to test the metal. if it's not magnetic, that doesn't mean for sure that it's gold, so the test isn't conclusive. but if it is magnetic, you know for sure it's not gold.

machinist's calipers ($20 to $40) are good to have, to measure exact size.

if you have any doubt, one approach is to buy 1 and then take it to another dealer and sell it, or ask them to appraise it.

also some coin shows have a free coin appraisal table, where you can often get an informed opinion on a coin you're wondering about.

Skirnir
10th July 2010, 03:05 PM
I use Mitutoyo callipers; they are usually expensive but I found the device for $50.

StackerKen
10th July 2010, 03:32 PM
I have a couple Of those that I got on ebay for bout 60 bucks each...I don't think I would buy any more of them myself though.

They are tiny.

If you only have 60 to spend...Or want small fractional stuff
I suggest these

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/19041_rev.jpg

madfranks
10th July 2010, 04:11 PM
One of my old dealers told me that those 1945 coins are not really from '45, that they've been minting them using the '45 date but most of them are modern strikes. This site (http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/mexico2pesos.html) says, "Dated from 1919 to 1947, the 1945 date is the easiest to find. We believe these are still officially restruck using this date."

gunDriller
10th July 2010, 04:14 PM
http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/19041_rev.jpg

I like the Pamp Suisse too. The assay card adds an air of "real-ness" that
might come in handy if you were selling it on eBay or wherever.

No one doubts it, it is a 1 gram or 10 gram or whatever piece of .999 gold.

But I think a lot of coin dealers would recognize the 2 peso gold.

I notice the 50 peso 1.2 ounce pieces are sold at slightly lower prices (per ounce) than the 1 ounce coins. I get the impression that Mexican gold is slightly under-valued.

In general, I think that makes it a good buy. Krugerrands used to be a discount gold product, less than the Gold Eagle. Recently they have been matching the Gold Eagle for dealer buy prices. Part of the reason being demand in Europe, another reason being their resistance to dings and dents.

I mention it because the Mexican gold could go through a similar price history. It is a harder alloy of gold, which helps it resist dents.

Now you got me thinking about buying one ! 8)

Skirnir
10th July 2010, 04:32 PM
Bullion should suit one's location to maximise liquidity. Near the southern border, Mexican Libertads and gold peso coins would be wise to hold as a % of the horde, likewise near the northern border, Maples would be wise. The logic is that a dealer could obtain, all other things being equal, a higher premium for 'localised' bullion as opposed to more exotic bullion, and thus his bid price would increase.

That said, I am not sure where Austrian Philharmonikers fit into this..

SLV^GLD
12th July 2010, 06:29 AM
I have several Dos Pesos because they are easily afforded and tend to always be available when I'm ready to buy.
As said earlier, $60 is a good buy price. My dealer generally lets me have them between the range of $55-$65 depending on recent spot price action.

The 1945 date is a commonly reused date.

It is quite common to find these coins have been set in a ring or pendant. If done correctly, with gold fixings, you can net a bit more gold for your buck at the expense of aesthetics.

As said before, calipers and a scale are advised. However, I've yet to see or hear of a fake Dos Pesos.

The 90% alloy makes for a tough coin and these can be handled and clinked together with impunity.

They are small little buggers so be careful not to lose them while handling. They are extremely easy to conceal.

k-os
12th July 2010, 07:49 AM
I have a half dozen (used to have 10), and I love them for their size and price. I like to give them to my nieces and nephews in their piggy banks.

1970 silver art
13th July 2010, 04:08 AM
Based on what I have seen at my local dealer, the DOS Peso gold coins have a low premium over spot and they are usually less expensive than fractional GAE's or fractional Maples.

Texan
13th July 2010, 07:06 PM
Here is a handy link for information on the most common gold coins:

http://www.onlygold.com/TutorialPages/Coin_SpecsFulScreenVersion.htm

Dos Pesos are 90% gold and have 0.0482 ounces of gold per coin.

You would need about five Dos Pesos to equal a 1/4 oz, 10 for a 1/2 oz, and 21 to have 1 ounce of gold.

They're a convenient option for fractional gold since they are low or no premium and highly recognizable. The premiums for 1/10 oz Eagles, Philharmonics, Maple Leaves and others have risen to absurd levels. I also like buying Mexican gold since I'm in TX kinda like Skirnir alluded to.

madfranks
14th July 2010, 06:41 AM
One thing I don't like about them as far as being bullion coins, is they do not have their weight and purity stamped on the coin. That makes it harder to deal with people who don't have a guide or the specifics of the coin memorized.

1970 silver art
14th July 2010, 07:09 AM
One thing I don't like about them as far as being bullion coins, is they do not have their weight and purity stamped on the coin. That makes it harder to deal with people who don't have a guide or the specifics of the coin memorized.

What will also end up happening is that when it is time for a person to sell the gold dos peso coin, then the dealer will more than likely discount it more than a fractional gold coin with the weight and purity stamped on it.

horseshoe3
14th July 2010, 08:04 AM
One of my old dealers told me that those 1945 coins are not really from '45, that they've been minting them using the '45 date but most of them are modern strikes. This site (http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/mexico2pesos.html) says, "Dated from 1919 to 1947, the 1945 date is the easiest to find. We believe these are still officially restruck using this date."

In "End the Fed", Ron Paul states that during the gold ban, foreign coins minted 1947 or earlier were considered numismatic and therefore legal to own. Mexico minted coins for years with earlier dates to exploit this loophole.