PDA

View Full Version : America the Beautiful Quarters

silverchris
12th July 2010, 08:35 AM
Ok so maybe im a sucker, but this is my first numismatic purchase besides that 1943 steel cent I bought for a quarter a couple years back.

I bought the silver proof 5 coin set for 2010, Im also thinking about buying the 5 coin set each year and building a complete set. 56 in all.

Do you think these will actually go up in value? If not I will probally not bother buying any more sets. 2 of the most popular parks are in the first set (yellowstone, yosemite). I figure at the very least, someone who is late getting into the game will need this first set and be willing to pay a premium to get this early set. if not, I can always hold onto them and show them to my kids and admire the beauty.

Will post pictures as soon as they arrive, maybe even today,

Carbon
12th July 2010, 08:54 AM
If it ain't .999 AU or AG, IMO, it's a waste of FRN's.

Look into collectible bullion - SAE's, Libertads, Lunars.

Or, pre-'64 silver.

madfranks
12th July 2010, 09:33 AM
Is this (http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=15252&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=45005) what you bought? Numismatically speaking, they make so many of these modern strikes that they will never be rare. The only bet you have for these to go up in value is purely for their silver content. You get five silver quarters in the set, and each quarter is .18084 oz of pure silver, so for $33 you got .9042 oz silver. Silver needs to go to about $36.50 per oz for you to break even. Until then you can expect to be offered melt value if you try and sell them. But they are nice looking coins.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/catalog/en_US/SV2_popup.jpg

gunDriller
12th July 2010, 12:14 PM
i heard some 2009 coins, the penny and the nickel and/or dime, had very low mintage, low enough to make it probable that - if there is still a hobby & profession of coin collecting in 50 years - it will be valuable.

since you can pick them up now for face value, i wonder if that is a good numismatic choice.

silverchris
12th July 2010, 01:03 PM
Is this (http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=15252&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=45005) what you bought? Numismatically speaking, they make so many of these modern strikes that they will never be rare. The only bet you have for these to go up in value is purely for their silver content. You get five silver quarters in the set, and each quarter is .18084 oz of pure silver, so for $33 you got .9042 oz silver. Silver needs to go to about $36.50 per oz for you to break even. Until then you can expect to be offered melt value if you try and sell them. But they are nice looking coins.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/catalog/en_US/SV2_popup.jpg

I guess that puts me into the sucker category, i thought they might go up in value and that is why i purchased them, Im so dumb, i could have got twice as many quarters for my money. Well I wont be buying anymore of them thats swhat i get for trying to get into numismatics

horseshoe3
12th July 2010, 01:24 PM
Don't feel too bad. You made a $33 mistake that could still turn out OK in a year or two. Compared to some of hte trainwrecks that happen in the world of numismatics, this doesn't even count.

madfranks
12th July 2010, 01:25 PM
I guess that puts me into the sucker category, i thought they might go up in value and that is why i purchased them, Im so dumb, i could have got twice as many quarters for my money. Well I wont be buying anymore of them thats swhat i get for trying to get into numismatics

Investing in numismatics is much more complicated than investing in bullion. I have a relative who has been buying those presidential dollar sets since they came out to the tune of $20 per set, and they're only 4 coins each. They're base metal too, so they'll never, ever be worth more than face value. At least you bought the silver proof set rather than the base metal set, and like I mentioned before, they're nice looking coins, so you didn't do too bad. Don't let this experience put a bad taste in your mouth regarding numismatics; if you ever need any advice, ask me. I'm pretty knowledgeable about numismatic coins and I'm a member of the ANA as well.

MNeagle
12th July 2010, 01:31 PM
Don't feel too bad. You made a $33 mistake that could still turn out OK in a year or two. Compared to some of hte trainwrecks that happen in the world of numismatics, this doesn't even count.

Exactly. If this is the most expensive lesson you ever learn, you'll be a success!

Korbin Dallas
12th July 2010, 06:55 PM

Sucker? Nah, more like newbie. Don't get discouraged. I made a $300 purchase 14 years ago, got 10 unc. Morgans through a boiler room telemarketer whom I thought was with a legit. Numismatic company. Today I'm at break even on the coins, but more importantly, it nudged me to do research and due diligence before buying coins.

Don't give up. Besides, if all else fails, you still got a nice looking set of coins!

1970 silver art
12th July 2010, 07:12 PM

You are not dumb silverchirs. We all make mistakes. It happens. I see these as collectors items and they will carry a large premium over spot silver. Silver items such as the America the Beautiful quarters cater to collectors to just want to buy something to add to their collection. They are not buying it for anything else. They are not an investment because, as Madfranks mentioned, the premium is too large to make it a decent investment.

However, silverchris, if you do not like the this collectors piece and you want to get rid of it, then you should sell it on ebay to get as much premium back as possible. Collectors on ebay are willing to pay large premiums on numismatic silver items and that is the best way to get your premium back if you wanted to sell them. Madfranks is also right that selling it to a local dealer will just get you metal value minus a discount.

If you like the America the Beautiful silver coin, then you should keep it. Buy what you like but keep in mind that silver collector items will sell for a large premiums.

silverchris
12th July 2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement. They are very nice looking coins, and I didnt pay much for them, and they ARE silver...

I am still kicking my self in the teeth for not buying that lincoln penny set with the silver lincoln round, i guess thats what made me want to speculate and get into numismatics, i saw that set selling for like 40 something i think then after they all sold out going for 120 or so, i thought these quarters look so good that they just had to be in demand,

I guess I didnt take mintage, popularity, etc into account. I just like coins an awful lot, and wanted to diversify into numismatics instead of only bullion when the oppurtunity strikes, never know when that perfect coin might present itself and I could make some money or find a perfect coin for my collection. I might save these coins for my unborn child. I bet they would be worth a lil more in 18 years : )

madfranks
12th July 2010, 07:34 PM
The difference is those Lincoln sets had a very strict limit on how many would be made. Couple that with the hysteria surrounding the deified Lincoln and it was a guarantee that those wouldn't last. So far I haven't seen any indication that these quarters have any limit to their production.