PDA

View Full Version : Why (Hyper) Inflation Is Not In the Cards by Charles Hugh Smith

Quixote2
12th July 2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.oftwominds.com/blogjuly10/deflation-hyperinflation-07-10.html

Why (Hyper) Inflation Is Not In the Cards by Charles Hugh Smith

The policies of the Federal government are set to benefit those who hold the levers of power. Deflation benefits those who own the debt, inflation benefits the debtors. The Financial Power Elites are not the debtors--we are.
The usual debate about what's in the cards, deflation or (hyper) inflation, assumes the market or the Federal Reserve/Treasury will be the definitive factor. The more fruitful analysis starts with asking what benefits the Financial Power Elites who influence the process of governance.

I have annoyed a great many readers over the years without intending to do so, and I risk doing so once again by invoking the term the politics of experience, which is the very core of the Survival+ critique.

Why is an analysis of the political nature of our experience so important? Because it sheds a unique light through the subtexts and smokescreens deployed by the status quo to mask the way specific policies benefit politically powerful players. By asking cui bono-- to whose benefit?--we can parse out why deflation or mild inflation is in the cards and hyperinflation is not.

Who benefits from high inflation? Those with debts to pay. Debts get easier to pay if inflation eats up 10% of the debt's purchasing power every year. If income and debt remain unchanged in nominal terms but income retains the same purchasing power, in five years of 10% annual inflation, the debt will have effectively been slashed by 40%.

Take a $100,000 mortgage and a $100,000 salary which is roughly indexed to inflation. At a 10% annual rate of inflation, the salary will rise to $161,000 while the debt, though nominally fixed at $100,000, has declined to $59,000 in terms of what the sum will buy, i.e. its purchasing power. With a high rate of inflation, those owning the debt as an asset (the lender) suffer a massive 41% decline in the value of their asset while the debtor can pay off the debt with "cheaper" dollars.

The $160,000 salary buys no more goods or services than the $100,000 salary did, but it sure pays off a lot more old debt.

So who benefits from inflation? Debtors. Who suffers dramatic losses? The owners of debt/cash. And who owes trillions of dollars in debt? the Federal and local governments, of course, and the average American household owing a mortgage, student loans, auto loans and credit card debt.

Who is sitting on $8 trillion in cash? Some insurance companies, mutual funds and pension funds--so-called institutional investors--are sitting on piles of cash, but a significant chunk of the cash is owned by the top 1% of households who own the vast majority of all assets--liquid and fixed--in the U.S.

Please see The Stock Market As Propaganda (March 10, 2010) for the sources and facts.

Since 91% of stocks are owned by the Plutocracy, the much-ballyhooed rise in the stock market as proof the recession is over is perception management/ propaganda.

Based on the ownership of stock and mutual funds, we can estimate that 9% ($90 billion) of all corporate profits flowed to the bottom 80% of households (104 million), $100 billion flowed to the 13 million Managerial/Professional households (the 10% of all households between 80% and 90%), and $810 billion flowed to the top 10% (13 million households), of which $400 billion flowed to the top 1% (1.3 million households).
The stock market isn't about building middle class wealth, and the middle class seems to have finally figured that out. The equity market is all about concentrating wealth and managing perception: if the top 10% is doing well, then the bottom 90% are supposed to feel better about the whole thing, too, even if they are poorer by every financial metric.

While debt loads are heavy in many of the 117 million bottom 90% households, cash and other liquid assets are concentrated in the top 10% and especially the top 1%.

So if high inflation is bad for the Power Elites who own 75% of the productive assets of the nation, and this same Power Elite wields unassailable influence over the processes of governance (Congress, the Fed, the Treasury, etc.), then why would they allow the Fed and the Treasury to inflate away their wealth?

The standard analysis sees the Federal government acting in its own interests, and as a major debtor, it is assumed the Central State will actively promote high inflation as a way of reducing its monumental debt load.

The flaw in this thinking is obvious: why would the Power Elite which controls Federal policy allow its wealth to be destroyed just so the government's own debt load would be reduced? That makes no sense. In fact, as I suggested in The Con of the Decade Part II (July 9, 2010) and The Con of the Decade Part I (July 8, 2010), it is in the interests of the Power Elite to buy Treasury bonds once interest rates rise. The last thing the Financial Plutocracy would want is to see its trillions of dollars in Treasuries diminished via inflation.

The last thing the Power Elite wants is high inflation. Remember this and you hold the keys to the Kingdom: inflation only benefits debtors, not the owners of the debt, for whom that debt is a treasured asset. Deflation is anathema to debtors and a free gift of additional purchasing power to those holding cash.

The typical analysis focuses on the horrendous debts owed by the nation and its citizenry, but the politically important focus is to look at who owns all that debt.

Much attention is paid to the $900 billion of Treasury bonds owned by the Chinese, but this is really only a small slice of the trillions of debt owed by governments, companies and households in the U.S.

Here is a key question: how much political influence do debtors wield in the U.S.? How many Congresspeople are (in effect) in indentured servitude to mortgage holders, those owing student loans or even to corporations with big debts? I would reckon the number of "captured Congresspeople" owned by debtors to be near-zero.

How many are influenced by owners and/or servicers of debt? Virtually all of them. Check in with any expert in finance--for instance MIT professor Simon Johnson--and you will find that the heavily touted "financial reform" is all smoke and mirrors; Johnson stated flatly, "The big banks won."

The deflation-inflation question boils down to politics, not the markets or what might be in the best interests of the Central State. The Central State is beholden to those who influence the machinery of governance via political contributions and armies of well-funded lobbyists.

So-called "progressive" lobbies like public unions could care less about deflation or inflation; all they care about is maintaining their share of the tax revenue swag. That leaves the field wide open for those who own the debt and the cash/liquid assets.

If hyper-inflation doesn't serve the interests of those who control the government, then why would the government act to create hyper-inflation? That makes no sense. The government does not act "in its own best interests"--that phrase is nonsensical. The government acts in the best interests of the Elites who benefit from its increasing power and share of the national income and who effectively control its policies.

As I explain in Survival+, the Savior State and the Financial Plutocracy are best understood as a partnership, but by no means an equal one. If the Elites running the Central State cross the financial Power Elites, their days in power are numbered.

Since the Financial Elites (and China, too, if reports are to be given credence) are in short-term Treasuries rather than the long end, then a whiff of inflation does them little harm. But deflation does them no harm and offers a very pleasing lagniappe of additional purchasing power as cash and other liquid assets increase their purchasing power (that is, cash buys more goods and services next year in deflation than it did this year).

Those looking for high inflation might benefit from asking who will benefit from inflation, who will benefit from deflation, and who effectively "owns" the processes of governance.

kregener
12th July 2010, 12:03 PM
The guy is lost.

He believes in The Game, not the realities it brings.

Carl
15th July 2010, 09:52 AM
The guy is lost.

He believes in The Game, not the realities it brings.
What reality are you referring to?

keehah
15th July 2010, 10:22 AM
Here is one example of many:

The last thing the Power Elite wants is high inflation..

High (exponential) inflation is required as part of the game.

Levi Philos
15th July 2010, 07:43 PM
This group expects hyperinflation and empty store shelves: http://inflation.us/videos.html

Don't ask me; I don't have 20-20 foresight.

VX1
15th July 2010, 07:55 PM
Inflation is caused by this elite 1%, who get the benefit of newly borrowed or just plain monetized money, before it trickles down and has a chance to inflate the currency; the author is blind to that reality. The author also asks "why would the government act to create hyper-inflation?"...which demonstrates a lack of understanding concerning the mechanisms involved with a hyperinflationary event. I'm sorry I wasted nine minutes reading it.

Carl
17th July 2010, 08:23 AM
Inflation is caused by this elite 1%, who get the benefit of newly borrowed or just plain monetized money, before it trickles down and has a chance to inflate the currency; the author is blind to that reality. The author also asks "why would the government act to create hyper-inflation?"...which demonstrates a lack of understanding concerning the mechanisms involved with a hyperinflationary event. I'm sorry I wasted nine minutes reading it.
Could you please explain to us the mechanisms of a hyperinflationary event involving a debt based digital currency? Could you explain how the debt based digits held at the top get down to the bottom and into circulation in sufficient quantities as to support hyperinflation? Could you also explain to us what happens to the banking system that administers those debt based digits when their debt based digital holdings and asset values are cut 50, 75 or even 100 percent?

Thank you........

keehah
17th July 2010, 10:13 AM
It (increased inflation) will happen when large investors start to realize US treasuries, and bonds are paper fictions and take the cash rather than rolling over, and don't want to hold the cash either. US dollars saved by the world over generations will be spend quicker than it became government debt when this game starts.

Little of this cash need trickle down to the average Joe on the street, but the new spenders will compete for items or capital that will seem to better store value that failing paper games.

The US dollar has lost over 95% of its value. What will save the last few percent over the mid to long term?

For those who discount unstable inflationary cycles, perhaps they can offer what will return this system towards equilibrium? And of course I mean over a longer time period than the next election.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation

The definition used by most economists is "an inflationary cycle without any tendency toward equilibrium.

Carl
17th July 2010, 12:09 PM
............Little of this cash.........

What "cash" are you referring too?

keehah
17th July 2010, 01:17 PM
The cash we won't see. :D

Like cash right now from China buying Vancouver realestate or north American companies or resource deals.
The cash that does not seem new, because it kept our inflated delusions of such capital or revenue stream value alive with the stock market held up.

All in all I'm of the biflation thought, with some form of US fiat extinction event that will be politically spun such that deflationists will see a continuity between the two that confirms their expectations of deflation, while inflationists will see a discontinuity with the new fiat, and a black market may still value strongly old coin and paper.

Carl
17th July 2010, 02:15 PM
The cash we won't see. :D

Like cash right now from China buying Vancouver realestate or north American companies or resource deals.
I know this may seem like an unimportant nuance but; China isn't spending "cash", they're spending accumulated U.S. credit which the U.S. issued/spent as debt and credit only works as a spendable medium for as long as the system can hold together. The moment the system ceases to function, credit goes "POOF!" and all anyone is left with is the debt.

Personally, I can't muster the faith it takes to believe the system is going to continue to function for much longer...........

Phoenix
17th July 2010, 02:18 PM
None of us truly know how this is going to play out. Hyperinflation is possible, but rapid deflation is equally possible. Either will achieve "their" goals, which is to transfer the wealth of the common folk to the world-ruling elite.

Hyperinflation will destroy the common folk's savings by dilution, but deflation would simply vacuum up the available cash so that ordinary people would have no means to buy necessities (and barter will be severely "dealt with"). We saw the latter (no cash) in the "Great" Depression. Either way, "WE" lose. The world-ruling elite is in position to weather well either scenario, and I don't believe even they know which mechanism they are going to use...yet.

Book
17th July 2010, 02:30 PM
http://www.onlineinvestingai.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/depress.gif
"NOBODY HAD ANY MONEY"

Yep. A very common account uttered by those who survived it.

:o

BillBoard
17th July 2010, 11:08 PM
Those looking for high inflation might benefit from asking who will benefit from inflation, who will benefit from deflation, and who effectively "owns" the processes of governance.

The Usurers love it when people fail to comprehend ratios and proportions, specially when dealing with debt. What's more, if you fail to define your terms, you will not comprehend the simple concepts behind the Game.

Examine the totally different concepts embodied in this term:

INFLATION:

In a precious metal barter cash system: Growth limited by what is mined out of the ground. I.e., 1000 Pounds of Silver in circulation, + 40 Pounds mined out of the earth in one year = 4% growth.

Fiat paper currency cash system: Growth is based by the units of exchanged printed. I.e., 1000 Units in circulation, + 40 units of exchange printed = 4% growth.

No repayment schedule, Non interest charged credit system: Growth is based by the units loaned into existence. I.e., 1000 Units on the books in circulation, + 40 units loaned into existence = 4% growth.

30 year payback, non interest charged credit system: Growth is based by the units loaned into existence minus the units extinguished by pay back rate. I.e. 1000 units in circulation, -33.33 units extinguished by payback, + 40 units loaned into existence = 0.00667% growth (Less than 1%)

Same as above but with interest charge:

30 year payback, interest charged credit system: Growth is based by the units loaned into existence minus the units extinguished by pay back rate. I.e. 1000 units in circulation, -33.33 units extinguished by payback, + 40 units loaned into existence = 0.00667% growth (Less than 1%), and interest cost of servicing the debt (Wealth transfer)

There are many more configurations, keep in mind that our system is a hybrid of all the above systems and that is why it gets very complex.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
19th July 2010, 10:43 AM
The collapse of the dollar is needed to usher in a worldwide currency system. I don't see that being done via deflation.

Deflation only serves to make the USD stronger. Is that what the elite want?

The elite want to bring in their new currency with a exchange rate to USD that is favorable to them. That exchange rate will be what allows the debts to remain profitable to the money changers.

Also, people will not be paying down debt with their inflated dollars, they will be buying all the precious, scarce food they can. On the hierarchy of needs, paying down debt is very low.

All those dollars sitting in vaults overseas need to be made worthless for their agenda to progress.

keehah
19th July 2010, 11:52 AM
SRB!, with that finial statement can you make a distinction between actual printed dollars and dollar denominated inventions from it (treasuries, bonds, etc.)?

Silver Rocket Bitches!
19th July 2010, 01:13 PM
SRB!, with that finial statement can you make a distinction between actual printed dollars and dollar denominated inventions from it (treasuries, bonds, etc.)?

The distinction is that the treasuries and bonds are claims to dollars + interest owed, they aren't part of the money supply yet. The actual USD paper is circulating around in every country due to world reserve status.

M0 is close to a trillion dollars. The FED says 2/3 of that is held overseas. Imagine all that money coming home to purchase goods and services within our borders.

cedarchopper
19th July 2010, 04:12 PM
Jim Sinclair's answer to a deflationary future (loss of confidence causes hyperinflation):

If gold market participants were all tank drivers their machine would have but one gear - reverse. The smallest book in the world is the book of confirmed gold price visionaries.

Someone says deflation and the long gold positions hit the fan. Gold banks make their short covers even though the fuel in Bernanke's Helicopter Money Drop is founded in the dreaded use of the "D" word.

People are so fixed in present time that they cannot picture a euro back towards its high and the dollar back towards its low because the financial condition of the USA dwarfs the problems of the USA.

Hyperinflation is always the product of a loss of confidence in currency resulting in a "Currency Produced Cost-Push Hyperinflation."

No one with a synapse talking to another synapse expects a "Demand-Pull Inflation."

All hyperinflation in modern history has occurred for one reason, and one reason only. That is loss of confidence in currency.

Loss of confidence in a currency can be brought about by many reasons, but there is one constant factor. When hyperinflation has occurred in modern history EVERY economy involved was decimated as and when it occurred.

It has never been caused by "Demand-Pull," but always and without exception caused by "Currency Induced Cost Push Hyperinflation."

The nonsense being spread by the F-TV taking heads is that the Fed is out of ammunition to fight deflation. That is raving BS. The Fed can and will do QE to infinity which is restricted as a tool by nothing whatsoever. The ECB will not be far behind the Fed.

Argue all you want, but this is exactly what is going to happen starting now. Stop being glib. Study hyperinflation in modern times listed below before you ask me to explain it one more time.

What is out there today QE wise is enough to result in hyperinflation as confidence falls in currencies due to two characteristics, QE and volatility.

Try meditating on the concept of "Currency Induced Cost Push Hyperinflation," rather than loading your pants over gold banks manipulation full of sound and fury, but meaningless in the great scheme of things.

Examples of hyperinflation in modern times:

Angola, Argentina, Belarus, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Congo, Free City of Danzig, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Japan, Madagascar, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Yugoslavi

(Jim doesn't include Mexico, but the peso went from 28 to the dollar, to 10,000 to the dollar in about 5 years. I was doing business in Mexico during that time and it was an education in currency collapse...but I had dollars, so I was on the better end of the deal. Next it will be currency's against gold and silver...not other paper.)

Carl
20th July 2010, 08:05 AM
The collapse of the dollar is needed to usher in a worldwide currency system. I don't see that being done via deflation.

The elite want to bring in their new currency with a exchange rate to USD that is favorable to them. That exchange rate will be what allows the debts to remain profitable to the money changers.

Also, people will not be paying down debt with their inflated dollars, they will be buying all the precious, scarce food they can. On the hierarchy of needs, paying down debt is very low.

All those dollars sitting in vaults overseas need to be made worthless for their agenda to progress.
What position do you hold among the "elites" that allows you to speak so authoritatively of their plans?

Book
20th July 2010, 08:13 AM

http://www.seniorbrigade.com/financial/images/retirement_000.jpg

That's what grandpa and grandma want. Their income is either fixed or indexed.

:D

Carl
20th July 2010, 09:40 AM
...........M0 is close to a trillion dollars. The FED says 2/3 of that is held overseas. Imagine all that money coming home to purchase goods and services within our borders.
Let's see, a $14 Trillion debt saturated economy gets "flooded" with $6.5 Billion of foreign held paper currency combined with the $3.3 billion held domestically, doesn't sound much like a recipe for hyperinflation, does it?

Carl
20th July 2010, 11:06 AM
http://goldnews.bullionvault.com/inflation_history_Zimbabwe_USA_101620073

Skim through that and see if you notice a common theme............

How many electronic digits does it take to fill a wheelbarrow?

cedarchopper
20th July 2010, 11:11 AM
http://goldnews.bullionvault.com/inflation_history_Zimbabwe_USA_101620073

Skim through that and see if you notice a common theme............

How many electronic digits does it take to fill a wheelbarrow?

Are you expecting an ever increasing Dollar value?

Carl
20th July 2010, 11:51 AM
Are you expecting an ever increasing Dollar value?

Like gold and silver, there won't be enough paper dollars available to value in any meaningful way. And like gold and silver, they'll only be worth what you can get with them in trade, if anything. Habits die hard..............

The entire global "monetary system" is nothing more than a grand illusion based upon promises to pay.

Sparky
20th July 2010, 12:23 PM
The original article does not withstand scrutiny. If high inflation is always bad for TBTB, then why would there ever be high inflation? Why was there inflation in the 1910's, and in the 1940's, and in the 1970's? Were TBTB sleeping? Did they not control the government? TBTB allow high inflation once they have positioned themselves for it. Deflation allows the cash-holders to buy assets on the cheap. Inflation lets them reap the benefits of owning assets. Rinse and repeat, every 35 years.

Inflation peaks:
1915-1920
1942-1948
1973-1981

Each inflation peak starts about 23 years after the previous one ends.

1981+23 = 2014

Each inflation period lasts about 6 years.

2014-2020

Why would we expect anything different this time?

Carl
20th July 2010, 12:44 PM
I think he's talking about HYPER-inflation which is not the same as high inflation Sparky.

Sparky
20th July 2010, 01:03 PM
I think he's talking about HYPER-inflation which is not the same as high inflation Sparky.

So, yet another article about hyperinflation that is without a definition of hyperinflation?

The entire first half of the article describes how inflation helps debtors, and deflation helps holders of cash. These principles have nothing to do with hyperinflation.

Then he uses the phrase "high inflation". Near the end of the article, he uses the term "hyperinflation" without defining it, or making a distinction from "high inflation", or just "inflation".

As such, his entire thesis loses credibility. Inflation is a cyclical occurrence of a fiat currency. Hyperinflation implies a currency extinction. Nowhere does he imply currency extinction, so I don't see why it would be implied that he is talking about hyperinflation. He uses the term one time (not counting the title), while mentioning inflation many, many times.

Sparky
20th July 2010, 01:05 PM
After reading again, he seems to be using the terms "high inflation" and "hyperinflation" interchangably, which as you point out Carl, are not the same thing.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
23rd July 2010, 09:54 AM
What position do you hold among the "elites" that allows you to speak so authoritatively of their plans?

No position, just observation. I believe a one-world currency is in the works.

Do you believe the USD is to remain the world's reserve currency indefinitely?

If it were to lose that status, do you expect domestic prices to remain where they are?

Horn
23rd July 2010, 10:12 AM

That's what grandpa and grandma want. Their income is either fixed or indexed.

:D

Reason for hover mode currently?

Not quite expendable yet.

Phoenix
23rd July 2010, 01:06 PM
I believe a one-world ELECTRONIC currency is in the works.

There, now it's right.

"May I see your right hand, so I may process your transaction, please?"

Carl
24th July 2010, 10:50 AM
No position, just observation. I believe a one-world currency is in the works.

Do you believe the USD is to remain the world's reserve currency indefinitely?

If it were to lose that status, do you expect domestic prices to remain where they are?

When the 'dollar' loses its status as world reserve currency, we'll be hard pressed to put a price on anything with no frickin money and no frickin banks to process non-existent credit..........

Quixote2
24th July 2010, 04:41 PM
The correct definition of inflation is increase of money supply not increase in prices. We have a ripping good inflation with M1 and M2 (electronic money), unfortunately the banksters are not circulating this money to the peons and M3, money in circulation, is flat or declining. The flat or declining M3 in the hands of the peons is resulting in lowered demand (no money) and flat or lowering prices. Often miscalled deflation which is decrease in money supply.

When the banksters start dropping the money from helicopters so the unwashed masses can buy everything to stimulate the economy, you will see increased prices to go along with the inflation of money supply.

Sparky
24th July 2010, 08:56 PM
The correct definition of inflation is increase of money supply not increase in prices. We have a ripping good inflation with M1 and M2 (electronic money), unfortunately the banksters are not circulating this money to the peons and M3, money in circulation, is flat or declining. The flat or declining M3 in the hands of the peons is resulting in lowered demand (no money) and flat or lowering prices. Often miscalled deflation which is decrease in money supply.

When the banksters start dropping the money from helicopters so the unwashed masses can buy everything to stimulate the economy, you will see increased prices to go along with the inflation of money supply.

We can talk all we want about the "correct" definition, but the default definition for laypeople and for matters of practicality is PRICE inflation. That's what impacts people's lives. It will come, as a response to deflationary risk. It's the easiest path for the government to pursue, and they have no limits.