PDA

View Full Version : Question about old dogs

Bullfrog
12th July 2010, 02:16 PM
My dog is 15 - 17 years old. I recently read something about people that are bed-ridden having problems with fluid getting in their lungs. I am wondering if this is something that can happen to dogs too?

When I was working inside in a windowless cubicle, every other year I used to get a cold that caused me to blow out a very clear very sticky fluid. It would take about a week to get rid of it.

This is what my dog is doing now. Once a day he spits up a bunch of this, and his breathing sounds like mine used to as described above. I am hoping it is a cold, and not something like permanent pneumonia. But it's been going on for a couple weeks.

MNeagle
12th July 2010, 02:37 PM
Not sure. You're not w/in the Gulf air zone are you? Could he be responding to something toxic in the air?

Good luck, I hope you find your answer/solution soon.

Bullfrog
12th July 2010, 02:53 PM
He is an alaskan malemute, neither of us could take the heat down south. We both start looking for shade when it hits 70 degrees.

k-os
12th July 2010, 03:34 PM
That's amazing longevity for a big dog like that.

Bullfrog
12th July 2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I was hoping he could make it thru to the end of summer, but it's not looking good. About half the time, I have to help him stand up. And he can't stand while he eats anymore. He had a good active life, managed to catch 3 deer, chased an elk and other critters. He is my buddy.

k-os
12th July 2010, 04:23 PM
My heart goes out to you. I love dogs more than I can possibly explain. I have four, and I'd have more if I didn't think it was leaning a little to far to the crazy side.

It won't be easy when he goes, but it does sound like he had a very rich life.

milehi
12th July 2010, 04:46 PM
I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback that lived to be 15. He was active until two weeks before I had to put him down. One day he seemed really lethargic, so instead of hiking in the forest, I took him to the vet. They said he had fluid in his lungs and around some other organs. They wanted to put him to sleep right then and there. I selfishly brought him back home and his breathing became more labored over the next week. Finally, it was time to sa goodbye. :boohoo

MNeagle
12th July 2010, 04:51 PM
Having to put a dog down is in my top #5 of tough things to go through (so far). It's rough, that's an understatement.

Bullfrog
13th July 2010, 07:35 AM
Well, he had a good night last night, breathing is normal. And this morning he walked into the computer room to visit me, which is something he doesn't do much anymore.

MNeagle
13th July 2010, 07:42 AM
Has he been to the vet lately? Next time his breathing problems surface, you might have him checked out to make sure he's not suffering needlessly. Best wishes.

Glass
13th July 2010, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure about dropping product names but I'd mention bioflow. It's a magnetic device. It is held against an artery and is a dot magnet inside of a band magnet. The blood passes over one side of the ring, which might be +ve and then over the button which might be -ve and then over the other side of the ring +ve again. So it is +ve -ve +ve. This is supposed to help ionize the blood, helping it oxygenate.

I bought one for a friends pet as a collar. It seemed to work in increasing the dogs activity. I have bought 3 others for people, 2 for family and one for me - wrist bands. I think they do something. I have taken mine off to see if there is a difference. I wear it unless I have to take it off. I bought mine because of what other people said about the effects for their pets.

I don't sell them.

Oxygenation is good for arthritus, recovery from exercise and improving blood ph. PH is important for overall health and resistance to cancer.

crazychicken
13th July 2010, 08:49 AM
We just euthenized a horse that was very important to us.

We feel for you!

Our sympathies.

CC

CrufflerJJ
15th July 2010, 07:43 AM
My dog is 15 - 17 years old. I recently read something about people that are bed-ridden having problems with fluid getting in their lungs. I am wondering if this is something that can happen to dogs too?

When I was working inside in a windowless cubicle, every other year I used to get a cold that caused me to blow out a very clear very sticky fluid. It would take about a week to get rid of it.

This is what my dog is doing now. Once a day he spits up a bunch of this, and his breathing sounds like mine used to as described above. I am hoping it is a cold, and not something like permanent pneumonia. But it's been going on for a couple weeks.

Your dog's lack of energy, difficulty standing/eating, fluid in the lungs sounds sort of like congestive heart failure. It may or may not help, but if your vet agrees, giving him daily Lasix pills (a diuretic) might help pull some of the fluid off his lungs (helping his breathing). If it is CHF, there's not a whole lot you can do. As a dog owner (we've got 4), I know how hard it is to let go.

MNeagle
15th July 2010, 08:16 AM
Sympathies to your horse CC, and you of course.

Bullfrog
15th July 2010, 11:02 AM
He is doing well now. No pain, I know what he looks like when he is hurt, he has had some injurys in the past. Most of them involved being punctured by sticks while he was busy chasing something.

That is why he has trouble standing. A stick punctured inside towards his hip bone on one of his back legs when he was young. It slowed him down right away and over the years got weaker. He walks ok, but when standing still, loses balance and falls. That, combined with linoleum floors makes getting up a bit tough.

He came in to the computer room again this morning, and started playing, pounced on the floor like he was attacking it.

crazychicken
15th July 2010, 11:36 AM
Sympathies to your horse CC, and you of course.

Thank you!

CC

CrufflerJJ
15th July 2010, 12:12 PM
He is doing well now. No pain, I know what he looks like when he is hurt, he has had some injurys in the past. Most of them involved being punctured by sticks while he was busy chasing something.

That is why he has trouble standing. A stick punctured inside towards his hip bone on one of his back legs when he was young. It slowed him down right away and over the years got weaker. He walks ok, but when standing still, loses balance and falls. That, combined with linoleum floors makes getting up a bit tough.

He came in to the computer room again this morning, and started playing, pounced on the floor like he was attacking it.

OUCH! Poor old guy. One of my dogs (10-11 years old) also has trouble crossing our linoleum kitchen "floor of doom." He hates slippery surfaces, and always did even as a young dog.

DMac
15th July 2010, 12:19 PM
Slippery floors are bad for dogs! Check this from yahoo: Please help me with my grief and a warning to you? (http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AlwPsqcWvpiBg9h1lGoU0MDAFQx.;_ylv=3?qid =20080604061515AApc0bi)

Bullfrog
19th July 2010, 12:51 PM
Taking my dog to the vet in a couple hours. It will be his last car ride. His name is Ojibwa, and he woke up every morning with a spark in his eyes. He loved to go on hikes and explore. He always had to be in front, but was always checking to make sure he was going where I was going. So when he wasn't looking I would change direction, then the next time he checked for me, he would sprint over to take lead on the new trail.

MNeagle
19th July 2010, 12:54 PM
RIP Ojibwa.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

k-os
19th July 2010, 01:22 PM
Bullfrog, I am so sorry to know you are losing Ojibwa today. He sounds like he was a really great friend.

StackerKen
19th July 2010, 02:33 PM
heartfelt condolences Bullfrog :(

Gknowmx
19th July 2010, 03:12 PM
Bullfrog,

I have done the 'last car ride' thing three times with old dogs. It is not easy, it never gets easier, but it is the right thing to do. My heart goes out to you. Stay strong.

CrufflerJJ
19th July 2010, 04:51 PM
Taking my dog to the vet in a couple hours. It will be his last car ride. His name is Ojibwa, and he woke up every morning with a spark in his eyes. He loved to go on hikes and explore. He always had to be in front, but was always checking to make sure he was going where I was going. So when he wasn't looking I would change direction, then the next time he checked for me, he would sprint over to take lead on the new trail.

I know it hurts, but THANK YOU for for being willing to do what must be done. Remember the good times spent with your furry friend.

Argentium
19th July 2010, 05:19 PM
Bullfrog, so sorry to hear about your loss. I know about those "last car rides" as well, they suck.